TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kenne Bell 2.8 Lc After New Install Problems

I just installed a 2.8 KB LC in my 2009 GT 500. , the engine seems to be surging and making a snapping noise. Some fellow Mustang folks were looking at my engine an noticed the supercharger pulley was walking in and out. I shut it off and pulled on it an you could snap it back and forth and make quite a banging noise . I shut it off an had it towed home. I got my feeler gauges and measured the play, it was .115 thousandths. Any ideas on this ?? It was making the noises and surging from mile one of the install.

Thanks for any help

I just installed a 2.8 KB LC in my 2009 GT 500. , the engine seems to be surging and making a snapping noise. Some fellow Mustang folks were looking at my engine an noticed the supercharger pulley was walking in and out. I shut it off and pulled on it an you could snap it back and forth and make quite a banging noise . I shut it off an had it towed home. I got my feeler gauges and measured the play, it was .115 thousandths. Any ideas on this ?? It was making the noises and surging from mile one of the install.

Thanks for any help

Pulley bolts tight?

You used the belt that came with the kit?

Have correct tune for your car?

Used charger while uploading the KB factory tune?

As Spectre noted, an incorrect pulley/tensioner could have a lot to do with your problem (if that's the case).

This is assuming that you got your kit from KB or Shelby or some other reputable supplier. If you bought it from an unknown individual you're going to have to find out what you have and give KB a call.

I know these are elementary questions but the first step in troubleshooting anything is to look at the most simple solutions first.

In other words, if your radio doesn't work resist the urge to drive to the local hydro-electric dam to see if the water is flowing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes ! The pulley bolts were tight, KB issued a call tag an had it shipped back next day air, got it on a Friday and shipped it back Wednesday over night Great service. A snap ring in the front came off. They checked it all over.

Sent me a new throttle body, also a difference tune. I had the charger on when loading the tune. Correct belt and pulley.

I did a smoke test for vacuum leaks =ok

I put in a new fuel filter and the NGK colder plugs

I thought I got some bad gas or water in it, I went through a couple tanks and also put dry gas in.

It is still surging and popping out the exhaust when I shift. It is not much fun to drive. When it surges you push down on the pedal and it feels like there is a dead spot and then clangs the drive train when the throttle kicks in. I had it at 3K on the interstate today in 4th gear and still surging.

Thanks for any help.

I know these are elementary questions but the first step in troubleshooting anything is to look at the most simple solutions first.

In other words, if your radio doesn't work resist the urge to drive to the local hydro-electric dam to see if the water is flowing.

LMAO. I'm going to start using that line!

For the last few years of my career I went from being a Auto Repair Tech to a Auto Tech Instructor (@Sequoia Institute/Wyo Tech).

I was a Engine Management Diagnosis (aka "EMD" or "Driveability") Instructor and teaching diagnosis was much of my subject matter. I taught what I was taught, "The Logics Of Diagnosis".

1). Logic

2). History

3). Ease of Access

Not necessarily in that order.

You hit "Logic" right on the head!

Phill

Yes ! The pulley bolts were tight, KB issued a call tag an had it shipped back next day air, got it on a Friday and shipped it back Wednesday over night Great service. A snap ring in the front came off. They checked it all over.

Sent me a new throttle body, also a difference tune. I had the charger on when loading the tune. Correct belt and pulley.

I did a smoke test for vacuum leaks =ok

I put in a new fuel filter and the NGK colder plugs

I thought I got some bad gas or water in it, I went through a couple tanks and also put dry gas in.

It is still surging and popping out the exhaust when I shift. It is not much fun to drive. When it surges you push down on the pedal and it feels like there is a dead spot and then clangs the drive train when the throttle kicks in. I had it at 3K on the interstate today in 4th gear and still surging.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry but, you're saying you STILL have the problem after K/B looked it over?

If so:

Have you noticed ANY improvement?

You're using 91/93 octane gas?

Boost-a-pump installed?

You're NOT using the K/B "race" tune (available on the tuner K/B sends you)?

Check ALL of your cables/cables/lines to include you plug wires (even those that you did'nt remove/replace)

Also, the EGR pipe on the back of the motor (the one that gets the heat wrap)

It's been quite a long time since I've done one of these but It might help to walk yourself through the instructions step-by-step (hands-on) to check everything.

Although I really appreciate the humor the K/B writers inject in the instructions, I think their efforts could be better spent pretending they're actually doing it for the first time. An example might be to provide a separate set of instructions where-by the installer is going straight from stage 0/1 to stage 3 (as I suspect most people do) instead of having to wade through each stage to get there so someone wouldn't, oh I don't know, install the straight nipple on the back of the blower case instead of the 90' nipple needed for stage 3 requiring them to remove and install the correct nipple and bugger up the threads and have to re-tap when they don't have a pipe tap and hope they can make it work.

Of course, I don't know of anyone that would make this silly mistake............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SSSNAKE ! Well after many days and tunes I began to question myself have I done something wrong, not quite. I decided to put a cable tie on the buy pass valve to hold it open ( no boost ) low and behold the surging ( most ) went away. I emailed Ken C 1 of 20-30 and told him about it. They had this problem on the 2011 and up GT500 but not on the older ones. He called it buy pass valve flutter. We went through a few more tunes and engine code lights coming on = lean. The last one seamed to nail it and take care of 95 % of the surging. I still get a so called dead spot after coming off a de cell and then getting on the gas. The power was always there it was the driving smoothness that was the problem . The car is being fun to drive again. Thanks to Ken C and Mike at Kenne Bell for there great service. They stand behind there products.

• 2 years later...

Hi SSSNAKE ! Well after many days and tunes I began to question myself have I done something wrong, not quite. I decided to put a cable tie on the buy pass valve to hold it open ( no boost ) low and behold the surging ( most ) went away. I emailed Ken C 1 of 20-30 and told him about it. They had this problem on the 2011 and up GT500 but not on the older ones. He called it buy pass valve flutter. We went through a few more tunes and engine code lights coming on = lean. The last one seamed to nail it and take care of 95 % of the surging. I still get a so called dead spot after coming off a de cell and then getting on the gas. The power was always there it was the driving smoothness that was the problem . The car is being fun to drive again. Thanks to Ken C and Mike at Kenne Bell for there great service. They stand behind there products.

Hi

09ShelbyGT500Me

I read your post because I have apparently the same problem on my 08 GT500 with 2.8 KenneBell. I live in Switzerland and don't speak really good english. If I understood correctly, you fix your problem with replacement of your bypass valve???

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

Archived