TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is Bama Tune For Stock Sgt Same As For Stock Gt?

I ordered a Bama tune through American Muscle. As part of the ordering, they have you fill out a questionnaire detailing the mods done to the car.

Since mine was a stock Shelby GT with the various FR kits installed at SA, I put down that it was a stock Shelby GT.

When the tuner arrived it said it was for a 2007 Mustang GT.

So I called them back to explain that it's NOT a stock GT, it's a stock Shelby GT. They said the tunes they provide are the SAME for a GT and Shelby GT?? :do what:

So, I've called back and talked to a different Bama person. He confirmed that the two tunes are the exact same.

The car does feel better with the tune (I've had it installed for a few months).

But does that sound right? That their tune for a stock SGT is the same as for a stock GT? He acknowledged that I'd feel the benefits more in a stock GT, since the tune installed at Shelby got me part of the way there.

Just convey to them what your car already has had done, the FRPP performance pack - cold air intake etc. I thought the tune was different but when I was considering this it was several years ago and then changed direction.

Just convey to them what your car already has had done, the FRPP performance pack - cold air intake etc. I thought the tune was different but when I was considering this it was several years ago and then changed direction.

That's the first thought I had. After I told them, they said that the tune accommodates those changes.

He said if it was the wrong tune, then the car would run like crap or not run at all.

I have to admit, that the car does seem to be more lively than with the Stock SGT tune.

:shrug:

As long as you put down on the form your FRPP CAI etc, then yes, the tunes would be the same. Stock for Stock, no, they would not be the same because the tunes are different due to the CAI. If you had a stock Mustang GT and said it has the FRPP CAI, then yes, the tune from Bama would be the same for that and for a stock SGT.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I live in the People's Republic of California, we only get 92 octane.

I did get 3 similar tunes, too. I tried them all out. My street has a fairly steep section. My car sounded like it was pinging when I floored it going up the steep section, with the race tune. The performance tuned had most of it's response about 3k rpm's.

Since my car is a DD, the street tune is the best since its response comes on about 2k RPM's.

This is the intake that comes stock on the SGT - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-2005-2009-mustang-cold-air-intake-555-3131-b/ Steeda developed the intake for Ford/Shelby as part of the SGT program and now sells it to the general public for other stangs. Our's is branded as Ford Racing but it's the same part. Just make sure they know that's the intake you have. They sell it with a better looking and more streamlined intake elbow (as opposed to the SGT where they just reused the original GT elbow) but that won't affect the tune (all the tune-specific aspects are in the the intake box and MAF tube, which are the same)

If memory serves me correctly, Shelby also installed an X-pipe as part of the SGT package and I believe the axlebacks are Borla exhausts, branded as "Ford Racing". Neither of those should be too critical to the tune though. Good luck!

Archived