TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Fog Lamp Question.

Has anyone with the '07-'09 factory HID headlights installed these VLED 5K bulbs, and if so, do they match the color temp of the factory HIDs?

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/5202-9009/5202-5k-10-xb.html

There was an earlier version of VLED 5K bulbs with fewer LEDs on them that sounded good, but of course, they changed them.

Thanks.

Has anyone with the '07-'09 factory HID headlights installed these VLED 5K bulbs, and if so, do they match the color temp of the factory HIDs?

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/5202-9009/5202-5k-10-xb.html

There was an earlier version of VLED 5K bulbs with fewer LEDs on them that sounded good, but of course, they changed them.

Thanks.

I have VLED 5K fogs in my 2008 with oem HID's.................

005_zps134698a4.jpg

0033_zpsa2dfacbc.jpg

They were the closest "white" match I could find to the factory 2008/2009 HID's.

R

I have the VLED 5ks, they are very bright. The clips suck and I had to silicone them around the connection to keep them from popping loose out of the foglamp housing.

They are CLOSE to the HIDs, but a tad whiter. Swapping out the OEM HID bulbs from (4300K stock maybe) to a real 5k would be the best bet. I haven't bothered to swap them yet.

I have the VLED 5ks, they are very bright. The clips suck and I had to silicone them around the connection to keep them from popping loose out of the foglamp housing.

They are CLOSE to the HIDs, but a tad whiter. Swapping out the OEM HID bulbs from (4300K stock maybe) to a real 5k would be the best bet. I haven't bothered to swap them yet.

I would be interested in a 5k upgrade on my oem HID's, how is this done? and who makes the 5k replacements?

I have had no issues (so far) with clips or anything with the VLED's, they are brighter and do light the area ahead of the bumper better than the factory fog light bulbs.

R

I would be interested in a 5k upgrade on my oem HID's, how is this done? and who makes the 5k replacements?

I have had no issues (so far) with clips or anything with the VLED's, they are brighter and do light the area ahead of the bumper better than the factory fog light bulbs.

R

According to the Sylvania bulb replacement guide, the HIDs use a D3R bulb. You'd just need to find one in the 5k color.

I looked at the VLED 5K's based on reviewers' performance of the 6-LED lamps, but could only find 10-LED lamps on their site now. A little whiter light would look better than the much yellower light given by the OEM bulbs, assuming additional heat doesn't become an issue, as with other blue-tinted quartz halogen bulb replacements.

I looked at the VLED 5K's based on reviewers' performance of the 6-LED lamps, but could only find 10-LED lamps on their site now. A little whiter light would look better than the much yellower light given by the OEM bulbs, assuming additional heat doesn't become an issue, as with other blue-tinted quartz halogen bulb replacements.

The 10 LED may be a little brighter, but still have the same "White"?

R

The issue to remember for anyone looking at LED foglights, and some of you may already know this, but their actual light output is terrible. They match the coloring correctly, but these aren't going to even come close to the factory bulbs when it comes to putting useable light on the road. These are purely cosmetic for trying to match the factory HID color.

Personally I'm considering moving to an HID setup on the fogs to increase light out put to help make up for the tinting on them.

The issue to remember for anyone looking at LED foglights, and some of you may already know this, but their actual light output is terrible. They match the coloring correctly, but these aren't going to even come close to the factory bulbs when it comes to putting useable light on the road. These are purely cosmetic for trying to match the factory HID color.

Personally I'm considering moving to an HID setup on the fogs to increase light out put to help make up for the tinting on them.

Before I bought mine there were several forum threads on the LED fog upgrades, one in particular showed a GT500 pulled somewhat close to a garage door in the dark, the oem bulb on one side and the LED on the other side. The LED reached out and touched the garage door with light, the oem did not.

R

Does anyone actually use their fog lamps in fog?

Why is so much importance placed upon matching the headlight white, when another (more yellow) color is probably more beneficial in real fog? Just asking... :)

Does anyone actually use their fog lamps in fog?

Why is so much importance placed upon matching the headlight white, when another (more yellow) color is probably more beneficial in real fog? Just asking... :)

I think that the lower lights commonly referred to a "fog lights" may be more of a driving light, or even for looks? Doesn't white light, or even the lesser than white of the oem lower lights actually reflect off of fog? I believe that it is amber that is (or at least was) most commonly used to cut through fog. Our oem lower lights are definitely not amber.........

^^^This is why I changed mine for looks more than anything else, they do nothing for driving in "fog".

R

I think that the lower lights commonly referred to a "fog lights" may be more of a driving light, or even for looks? Doesn't white light, or even the lesser than white of the oem lower lights actually reflect off of fog? I believe that it is amber that is (or at least was) most commonly used to cut through fog. Our oem lower lights are definitely not amber.........

^^^This is why I changed mine for looks more than anything else, they do nothing for driving in "fog".

R

Yup; that's my understanding of white light on fog, hence the use of amber lenses on many high-end fog lights of years past. This thread caught my eye 'cause I recently moved to an area that gets some heavy tule fog on occasion, not that I'd ever want to take my black car out into it. In case I was ever on a road trip and ran into fog though, it would be nice to see where I'm going. :)

I received a pair of the VLED 5K 10-LED 24W lamps (referenced in the original post) this afternoon and got them installed. Because of the cylindrical design and their having two LEDs on the forward (top of the cylinder) surface, they are very bright to on-coming traffic. I haven't driven in night-time traffic yet, but I won't be surprised if I get flashed. Each fog light fixture throws a 360 degree light pattern out with no cut-off on top.

To my eye, the 5K lamps are just a bit more blue than the factory HIDs when viewed off-center. Looking straight on from the road surface, there's not much difference. I measured the fog lamp temperature with an IR thermometer, and it showed 100 degrees F (as a reference, the previous Putco Arctic Blue quartz halogen bulbs I had in there measured 200 degrees F, and were known to haze up or melt some fixtures) with an ambient temperature of 83 degrees F.

Here are a couple of pictures, one from an on-coming other side of the road view, and one from a centered view.

post-21919-0-46635900-1406446604_thumb.jpg

post-21919-0-64147000-1406446618_thumb.jpg

Archived