TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pulley And Tune

Hi I have a 2010 shelby and am looking at doing the VMP 2.6" pulley and tune plus the resonator delete. Just curious if people have seen a big difference in performance. Also will this combo allow me to hear the whine of the supercharger more? Lastly how difficult is it to do this mod myself and can I just rent a puller or do I really need the one from VMP?

It's an easy mod- I've done this to my 2011. It will wake the car up a little, but don't expect massive gains. When I did my BigAir intake and 66mm throttle body later on, coupled with a 2.5" pulley and corresponding new tune, that woke her up! And got the whine up to a good noise level. Total time will take you 2-3 hours as long as you have basic tools and mechanical abilities. Without a doubt, buy the pulley tool- it is really easy to use and comes with great instructions. I wouldn't risk using a standard wheel puller- it may damage you stock pulley. Plus, the VMP tool makes easy work of putting the new one on. Good luck and enjoy the results!

The smaller pulley will certainly make the supercharger whine much more noticeable as it will be spinning it much faster, but it's not obnoxious. Just make sure you also get an idler to take up the belt slack and the appropriate tune. As stated before the VMP tool will make the swap much easier. I have a new 2.59" VMP pulley that I never used as I ended up installing a TVS. I'd sell it for $60 shipped if you need it. GL.

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to go with the whole package from VMP and spring for the puller as well. And I meant the 2.5" pulley not 2.6. Seems like without spending too much money that will wake her up a bit even though the car already seems fast as sh*t to me. Thanks again for the help.

I just want to do very few mods such as the pulley and tune, CAI & maybe the throttle body...Sounds like it's pretty good gain for the money and I think there's a local shop about an 90 min drive away that does a ton of these in my area (Wainright, AB)...My buddy says to splurge and go with the TVS but seems like a pretty penny to spend and have to mod further around it to make the TVS happen....Mine is just a cruiser and open it up from time to time so thinking the Pulley & Tune the way to go....Anyone know if Ford would actually do this and that way still cover the warranty???? Just curious. Thx.

Ford will not do the pulley & tune under warranty period. If you could still purchase the FRPP TVS through them & they installed it then I believe there was stillsome type of warranty. With all that I have done both and for the cost of the pulley and all the prerequisites I would do the TVS. A TVS is much more affordable now and is much more efficient than the stock charger. It simply doesn't have to work as hard. If you don't want to buy an elbow or tb or even a pulley you can always do it later on as you like. There are deals on TVS's all the time as guys either go bigger or return their cars to stock. GL.

Thanks for the advice 08KR525 and always good to hear from others and their experiences....Maybe I'll look into the TVS then just to see what they go for up here or perhaps direct from TVS. This site is incredible for information sharing.

Today, Tuesday July 15th, 2014 I had my 1st service on my recently acquired 2012 (yes.... it was an orphan on a Ford Dealer's lot in Victoria BC) GT500... purchased Dec 23rd 2013. I still don't have many miles on it (3,886 kms)... that's about 2300-2400 miles.... but I decided to initiate the first service along with a dyno test.... She's stock ... except for K&N air filter and half a tank of Chevron 94 octane (no ethanol) pump gas. She pulled 483 HP and 473 ft/lbs torque at rear wheels natch... That's about right for a machine like this.... right???

In early September I went to Calgary AB to see my bro, his wife, and extended family. It just so happens that Calgary is also the home of Western Motor Sports..... a shop way out on the lone prairie (literally it is so....). This shop is one which specializes in making fast Fords faster..... They are Ford knowledgeable etc etc.... anyway to make a long story short, I had their performance kit installed which included Steeda supercharger pulley, Steeda Cold Air kit and I opted for the BBK larger throttle body..... to top it all off..... an SCT X4 tuner with a Lund tune..... I drove home over them thar "hills" the Rockies back to Vancouver, BC and all the while the machine felt she had a bit more "spring" to her step..... I could not stand it any longer.... I took it Brown Bros Ford.... and had it dyno'd again..... here are the results....

Stock: 483 RWHP 473 ft/lbs torque on a hot day...

Mods: 540 RWHP 505 ft/lbs torque......

A gain of 57 RWHP and 28 fl/lbs torque..... she will literally shred the Goodyear tires as is.... so I have also picked up Michelin Super Sport tires ... stock sizes, for all 4 corners..... but not to be installed until spring.... no point in driving this car around here until March. We do have some nice days but generally it's a lot of rain and occasional snow....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm very impressed with the throttle response, SC whine, and performance increase with the pulley and tune. However I've noticed considerably worst city MPG since upgrading to the 2.5" pulley. Have you guys seen any difference? I used to 15 in the city, now I'm at 11

I'm very impressed with the throttle response, SC whine, and performance increase with the pulley and tune. However I've noticed considerably worst city MPG since upgrading to the 2.5" pulley. Have you guys seen any difference? I used to 15 in the city, now I'm at 11

Wow! 11? Although mine's a daily driver, I don't do a whole lot of stop and go city stuff, but I haven't ever seen mine go below 16/17 average :shrug:

Do you have more then one tune (maybe a less aggressive one) that you could switch back and forth to depending on what you feel like getting from the car?

I use mine in city with occasional stop and go traffic. For the first couple tanks of gas I know I was driving faster than usual, but now I've confirmed worst mileage when casually driving. I only have 1 tune at the moment but I'm considering requesting a more conservative tune.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the pulley puller, TVS, and MPG...

You can use a regular pulley pulley, and get the stock one off, but you will destroy it in the process of removing it. It didn't matter to me, as I was not planning on re-using the stock pulley. The VMP puller is expensive, and the cost of buying it, combined with never needing the stock one, along with the price of a new/used stock pulley, I just used a standard puller, and took the stock one off, destroying it in the process.

TVS, no doubt it makes power, but I just can't justify making more power on my car right now. It will spin the tires in 3rd gear in the cold from a 60 mph roll on. Right at 80mph, in third, after flooring it from 60, it will spin. I would love to add a TVS, but it would require a serious tire upgrade. I can't even drive my car to its 540rwhp as it is now, with traffic, cops, etc, to its potential. This car breaks my state's speed limit in 2nd gear. To wind out the gears I'm easily going over 120mph, in no time flat, so I just can't imagine adding another 100rwhp. I've grown up beyond the 20 something year old that wants to be the "fastest" car on the road. Honestly, it's the lack of traction first, and I just don't need 700+hp!

MPG. I can average 16 in the city, but all it takes is one good 3rd and 4th gear pull, and it will drop your MPG reading down in a big big hurry. To get good mileage, you have to shift with the shift light, and STAY OUT OF BOOST, or any boost assisted pull past 3,000 rpms. You will burn gas faster than if you had poked a hole in your tank :drop:

Archived