TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Harley Live Wire - Electric Motorcycle?

Uh... yeah. I didn't see that coming from Harley. Maybe someone else, but from Harley?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/has-harley-davidson-made-the-tesla-of-motorcyles-151131464.html

Agreed, Honda or Yamaha for instance.

I must admit a moment of pride that HD stepped-up with this design study rather than being a "Me Too" brand sometime down the road.

Haven't gotten my arms around the electric anything yet - I believe I have plenty of company with me on that out there too...

Like the Tesla, hate the Leaf, hybrids like BMW's I8 or the Chevy Volt will either sink or swim in the near future market place.

Harley's offering looks like a lot of thought went into it.

...and they are not calling it a Buell either. A ballsy move HD! Bravo! :salute:

Anyone know the range on this electric HD? I saw something the other day where Peter Fonda said he was going to ride one of these from California to Sturgis and was thinking to myself, yeah right.

Steve

They said it was 50 miles, but would have to turn down the juice to get more mileage and thus making it less fun to ride.

I have had 6 HD bikes and have been riding them for many years. I also sold them for years at a dealership in VA. My take on this is that most people who buy a Harley are looking for a nostalgic American machine (kind of like owning an icon like a Shelby). The electric bike just does not fit the mold and I think it will be a hard sell at least to the current customer base. Typically, HD bikes cost a lot compared to other brands (like the big 4 Japanese bikes). Unless this bike is priced very low, I don't know who they expect to attract as buyers. I for one prefer the old style bikes that are rough, loud, and shake you to death at idle. I love it!

I have had 6 HD bikes and have been riding them for many years. I also sold them for years at a dealership in VA. My take on this is that most people who buy a Harley are looking for a nostalgic American machine (kind of like owning an icon like a Shelby). The electric bike just does not fit the mold and I think it will be a hard sell at least to the current customer base. Typically, HD bikes cost a lot compared to other brands (like the big 4 Japanese bikes). Unless this bike is priced very low, I don't know who they expect to attract as buyers. I for one prefer the old style bikes that are rough, loud, and shake you to death at idle. I love it!

Agree which is why I'm surprised HD is making the leap. With that said, clearly this bike is aimed at a new market and not the current customer base, but I don't see it catching on. My wife made the most obvious observation: motorcycles are already inexpensive to operate and very fuel efficient. There is very little need for an electric bike.

Archived