TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Go Pro Mounting Advice ??

I just bought a black edition go pro...any advice on the best mount for in car footage? I bought the handlebar/seat post mount for a bike hoping I may be able to mount it to the riders seat headrest. I am in AZ so was worried about the suction cup or sticky mount on the windshield coming loose in the heat.

Thanks,

Matt

I mount mine using the suction cup on the inside windshield with the cup to the right of the rear view mirror and the camera just below it. I've also mounted it on the outside of the window just over the rear view mounting slug. A friend mounted his on the rear window just above center looking over the top of the car but the GT is lower and I'm not sure what kind of view you'd get on a Mustang. if you have a glass roof it would work there too.

Note that sound is an issue for an outside mount. Another friend used a remote microphone. Camera in front, mic in the back (his was a FGT and a GT40, so the engine is backwards).

On my Cobra I used the tubing mount on the roll bar. That was the best footage I ever got.

NEVER EVER PUT THE SUCTION CUP ON PAINT!!! Any amount of dust, and there will be some, will scratch your paint.

Here's my favorite spot, just used one of the permanent mounting pads on the metal under the bumper. Its been there 5 months, used it over and over and never had a lick of problems. Got some great footage from here.

IMG_3090.jpg

Thanks for the advice Tony and Jeff, I got the handlebar mount to work on the headrest and the view is ok, you can see everything going on in the car, but Im going to get the suction cup mount tomorrow to get the best view of traffic etc...I will mount the pads that came with it under the grill as well and try that too. I will post vids of each mount after I figure out how to do it lol...

IMAG0835_zpsc6xqxhc0.jpg

I just bought a black edition go pro...any advice on the best mount for in car footage? I bought the handlebar/seat post mount for a bike hoping I may be able to mount it to the riders seat headrest. I am in AZ so was worried about the suction cup or sticky mount on the windshield coming loose in the heat.

Thanks,

Matt

I used the sticky mount inside my 65 fastback, hanging in the center of the metal trim, just in front of my rear window. This way I can flip the camera around to get a rear view. To see my video, check it out on Youtude under Denstang65 and pick the top video. The mount some one did on the head rest was pretty clever!

Check out RAM mounts. They are a little pricy, but they claim to handle airplane speeds.

I mounted on the front a rear wheel area with difference orientations. My favorite was rear driver side, facing backwards (1:06)...the effect of going around turns while other are chasing you is very cool in my opinion.

FWIW, I mounted on painted surfaces, but cleaned the painted surface with and suction mount with detail spray. No issues here.

Here's my track video from last year...http://youtu.be/ZzYKug4FV5c

Wow that view from the side looking back is BA, love seeing the suspension work! Barry are you driving at Firebird? or I guess its wild horse pass now...I have been looking to get some track time but have not seen anything available there yet...

The headrest mount is working out great for me at the moment, I daily drive the car and just want to capture all of the traffic situations and the point of view from the headrest is like sitting in the passenger seat.

Will post an example asap

I used the sticky mount inside my 65 fastback, hanging in the center of the metal trim, just in front of my rear window. This way I can flip the camera around to get a rear view. To see my video, check it out on Youtude under Denstang65 and pick the top video. The mount some one did on the head rest was pretty clever!

I was behind you in Vegas I think we were heading to the dinner. Great footage from that angle. my headrest mount is pretty close to that, I need to get the remote set up so I can take a short video to post tomorrow

Mounting it on the seat might be a little shaky for hard launching cars, bumps etc.

I have had good results mounting it on the inside, on the rear portion of the passenger window.

That way you can get a track view and a bit of the driver steering/shifting action.

If you do run it inside your car, and tune your radio to the tracks broadcasting frequency, you can capture the track announcer audio too.

I have a remote mic as well, but haven't tried that out yet.

The plan was to place it up front to pickup the blower whine.

I have 2 go pros. A black and a silver. I have about every mount made by go pro too. I used the seat post mount on my pass. headrest post just like shown and it worked okay. It got a little shaky on one run but not real noticable in most others. I used my roll bar mount to mount one dead center of my grille with a couple of fender washers to keep it from pulling through the openings.

I used both at the Mojave Mile so I have one inside and one outside. I'm trying to edit the two into one so I can post them (have to be less than 10 mins long) but haven't got that part down yet.

The outside cam hears the blower whine LOUDLY but the inside one gets the engine roar and my in car communication with my wife (giving me my run times via my hands free cell phone communication).

Phill

Wow that view from the side looking back is BA, love seeing the suspension work! Barry are you driving at Firebird? or I guess its wild horse pass now...I have been looking to get some track time but have not seen anything available there yet...

Yep, that's the old Firebird - West Track. Shoot me a PM and I will hook you up with a contact to get in on some track time. I'm planning to setup a group to run in the fall and can keep you posted on that as well if you are interested.

The suction cup mount is IMHO, the best mount for the GoPro. It's very flexible in the places it can be mounted and sticks like glue!

I would avoid mounting a camera to the seat headrest simply because the seat back is loose and the vibration transfers to the video. The vibration can be dampened by someone sitting in the seat or securing the seatback with bungee cords or straps.

I've experimented with various cameras and mounts - most any video cameras will work pretty well, it's the PLACE you mount it and HOW you mount it that can make or break your video. Think SOLID mounting points first, then camera angle!

As mentioned above, GoPro sound leaves a lot to be desired - wind noise, even with the closed back, can be very over powering! A remote microphone/recorder is the way to go if you are looking to grab engine sounds! Find an area protected from the wind/slipstream and record from there, then use video software to sync it to your video. I'm still experimenting with sound, but at the moment, the area between the rear fascia and fuel tank seems promising - no wind, but lots of exhaust note!

Sam

I'm still experimenting with sound, but at the moment, the area between the rear fascia and fuel tank seems promising - no wind, but lots of exhaust note!

The video I have from outside my car, center of the upper grille has NO wind noise. All you can hear is the engine and blower whine.

And that's from 0 to 183 mph.

Phill

Archived