TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with engine light

sskttg

I bought the Stage 2 JLT kit and had for use the custom tuner for it and car has been running great for a couple of months. Last wednesday i had the ford racing mufflers welded on and then 4days later the engine light cam on. Can someone give me an idea of what it might be :censored::waiting:

Thanks

i must be a poop too .. for i didnt read mine either .. but yes .. they do read codes !

I bought the Stage 2 JLT kit and had for use the custom tuner for it and car has been running great for a couple of months. Last wednesday i had the ford racing mufflers welded on and then 4days later the engine light cam on. Can someone give me an idea of what it might be :censored::waiting:

Thanks

Although I haven't seen the Ford Racing mufflers, why would you weld them on? Most, if not all, aftermarket GT500 mufflers are bolted on. Seems an awful big commitment to have them welded in. Anyway, just my opinion. Insofar as your Check Engine light is concerned I agree with the rest, we'd need to see your trouble code. However, I will say that you will get a check engine light if you have an exhaust leak; albeit small. You may want to check the welds that were made to your exhaust to make sure everything looks good. Another thing that may trigger it is a bad oxygen sensor and/or fouled up catalytic converters. I'm not sure what the EVO tune does, but if you run too lean for an extended period of time you'll screw these puppies up in a hurry AND you'll get a P0171 code (or similar) when using the scan tool. The exhaust change may have tipped a variable that was already at the brink of tripping a trouble code (ie. the tune was pretty agressive and the exhaust caused an unstable condition in your car due to the change). You wouldn't have seen it right away because the car throws the code only after it's confirmed that subsequent startups have not corrected the problem. In fact, sometimes the code is stored but the check engine light does not show up until a few days later. I had this happen to me whenever I swapped my exhaust for an offroad x-pipe and hadn't tuned it quite right.

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

A check engine light is usually something simple ... not major.

Fords EEC ... has always been a great computer / diagnostic unit. If data going to a sensor is beyond the ECC parameters .. after a certain amout of reads .. it will throw a check engine light. It could be a faulty sensor ... a bad ground ... lot of different reasons.

BUT ... u need to pull the codes to confirm this !! !!

Hey Lutz, Did you just have any work done on it? I had the same code and it poped up after I had the FRPP Drag pack installed. The pack includes shorty headers and they had to unplug the harness from the solenoid to install them. The solenoid is in the engine compartment, on the left fender well and is hooked by tubing to the canister in the back. I just started tracing everything forward and found the unplugged harness and "poof" the code was fixed.

Hey Lutz, Did you just have any work done on it? I had the same code and it poped up after I had the FRPP Drag pack installed. The pack includes shorty headers and they had to unplug the harness from the solenoid to install them. The solenoid is in the engine compartment, on the left fender well and is hooked by tubing to the canister in the back. I just started tracing everything forward and found the unplugged harness and "poof" the code was fixed.

Mine is still stock, not even a cobra head for the cig lighter, LOL. I didn't see them do the work, they just said it was located near the fuel tank, only took about 10 min. to fix and 20 min. to test drive. They said the GTs come in all the time with the same problem. I did ask if the code pin pointed the problem and they said yes.

Scott

WHAT? 20 mins to test drive @ 120 m.p.h they must of went along way

Yes and it started raining about 5 min. before they test drove it. My sons and I were watching out the showroom window, we were discussing the odds of them crashing, I put it at 15 percent. No biggie, they had a vista blue with white stripes 15 foot from me with a 20k markup. My plan was to order another torch red with different color stripes this time and have some left over for a vacation and mods.

Scott

Yes and it started raining about 5 min. before they test drove it. My sons and I were watching out the showroom window, we were discussing the odds of them crashing, I put it at 15 percent. No biggie, they had a vista blue with white stripes 15 foot from me with a 20k markup. My plan was to order another torch red with different color stripes this time and have some left over for a vacation and mods.

Scott

Glad you got your problem fixed easily. Gotta love those dealer test drives....

I had 2 salesmen from a local dealership here roll up next to me in their "GT300", that's a GT with a cheap stripe job and goofy looking wheels. The started punching it about 50 down an open highway, I let them get about 3 lengths (enough to see the dealer plate) then left them....they were very suprised to see me sitting in the showroom when they rolled up. They were about to wee in their pants I'd say. I met them at the door and told them, I didn't rat their little butts out, but I'd make sure none of my friends bought any type of car from this dealership, much less from them.

Archived