TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Did Shelby Actually Play With A Toyota?

Yes, Shelby was very involved with the Toyota 2000 in 1967. Here's a pretty good article on it:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/toyota-2000-gt-classic-cars-for-sale/

Also see this post I just put up about one of these rare Toyota's being crushed by a tree:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/85360-million-dollar-toyota-2000-crushed-by-tree/

Edited by JeffJ

A few years ago during the Pebble Beach Weekend Toyota was a sponsor of Laguna Seca.

They had some of the 2000GT cars that Shelby campaigned and nice hero cards describing Shelby's involvement in Toyota 1967 run at SCCA type cars.

Very neat cars and interesting (and understandable) that Toyota pulled Shelby in to try and get things going.

I have a couple of very nice 1:43 models:

14390133731_7557e4f7a1_o.jpg

And a couple of what I think are Pete Lyons' photos (that will mean something to some) at Willow Springs, 1968. I like to believe the sequence is Toyota-passes-Porsche.

lyonsSCCAnat68WSpgs_Por11%2526Toy.jpglyonsToyota2000GT%252068%2520Willow.jpg

Make that four models; these are a replica of a 2000GT raced in Japan, and a rare (in both original 1:1 and 1:43) convertible.

Asset9089%281%29.jpg

Asset9261%281%29.jpg

Edited by Frank S

I have a couple of very nice 1:43 models:

14390133731_7557e4f7a1_o.jpg

And a couple of what I think are Pete Lyons' photos (that will mean something to some) at Willow Springs, 1968. I like to believe the sequence is Toyota-passes-Porsche.

lyonsSCCAnat68WSpgs_Por11%26Toy.jpglyonsToyota2000GT%2068%20Willow.jpg

Make that four models; these are a replica of a 2000GT raced in Japan, and a rare (in both original 1:1 and 1:43) convertible.

Asset9089(1).jpg

Asset9261(1).jpg

Nice! All I have is the Hot Wheels.

I believe it is neither Davey Jordan nor Scooter Patrick, who drove these cars.

There was a red 2000GT entered in a slalom (what they called autocrosses, back in the day) at a university parking lot on Point Loma, in 1967 or so. It seemed a lot uglier then than now in pictures. This from a Brit-car addict (at the time).

Saw a real one in Paris. What a beautiful car! The roadster versions were built for the Bond movie, and nicely featured.

I was sitting beside a guy in Monterey last year who had one (yes, he had a few) of his go across the block, hammered at $880k if I recall...

• 2 weeks later...