TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Have 14 Gt500 Buying Michelin Ss.what Sizes Are Safe For Stock Rims 19S Ans 20S

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for answer above in why 4 tires vs 2. Now curious how much affect 295 has on Speedo readings

The best way to figure the impact on speedo readings is to find the specs for the stock rear tire to see how many revolutions per mile they do, then find the revolutions per mile spec for the new rear tire. From those numbers you'll be able to determine how many percent fast or slow your speedometer will read.

Thanks so much. This thread was great think I'll do the 275 k 105y in front and 295 k 105y in back..btw what do you Guys do with the old ones. Ive only got 900 miles on mine

Just to be sure, what size tires and rims do you currently have? I couldn't tell in your signature if you have a 2011 or newer Shelby that has the 19" front and 20" rear wheels (which are the wheels the tires mentioned in this thread fit). If you replace your tires and they have most of their tread remaining, list them for sale. Some people like to stick with the stock tires and it the tires you are replacing are stock tires, someone may be looking for replacements if theirs are getting older. Mine are over 3 years old and down to 3/32" tread depth, so I don't want them back.

I have 295's 105Y and 275 105 Y and the difference in every way is amazing. The car hooks up well....it handles better....and the ride is smoother. Best of all I will be able to use the car when the temperature goes below 40 degrees.....unlike the GY tires.

These tires and the 3.73 rear gears made an amazing difference in my '13 500

Http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

Being an engineer just wanted to calculate the various wheel,/tire heights. Here's a good link the 295 is 28.1 in high and the 285 is 27.8. Accurding to the size the 295 is 11.6 and the 285 is 11.2. The actual Speedo difference of 285 vs 295 is 3%. So at 70 thats 2.1 mph higher sorry to play engineer but that's what I do. Now what I don't know is if the advertised sizes are nominal or actual specs. If the former then it's jump ball

I have 295's 105Y and 275 105 Y and the difference in every way is amazing. The car hooks up well....it handles better....and the ride is smoother. Best of all I will be able to use the car when the temperature goes below 40 degrees.....unlike the GY tires.

These tires and the 3.73 rear gears made an amazing difference in my '13 500

That is great to hear! Still waiting on my tires since I had to change my order. The...wait...is...killing...me...

Http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

Being an engineer just wanted to calculate the various wheel,/tire heights. Here's a good link the 295 is 28.1 in high and the 285 is 27.8. Accurding to the size the 295 is 11.6 and the 285 is 11.2. The actual Speedo difference of 285 vs 295 is 3%. So at 70 thats 2.1 mph higher sorry to play engineer but that's what I do. Now what I don't know is if the advertised sizes are nominal or actual specs. If the former then it's jump ball

According to Michelin their 295 105Y is 28.1" in diameter, and according to Goodyear their 285 F1 is 27.9" in diameter. So you're pretty darn close on the specs.

However, my calculations show a .8% difference in size, resulting in a speed of 70.56mph when the speedo shows 70mph. Of course I could be wrong, I think that may have happened at least once before. :)

The only variable in calculating circumference is the change in radius. Which is a function of the changing width ie 295 vs 285. That's the 3%. Of course if their actual tire wall sizes are different then there'd be a diffrence from my theoretical number.btw I was trying to figure out the 101 and 105 terms. I'll bet it's the tire is 5% wider / higher than nominal.

That's why I'd be looking at the revolutions per mile specs instead of the diameter/circumference specs. Comparing the revs per mile for the two different tires should give a solid measure of impact on the speedo reading.

I also have MPSS tires on my wish list just as soon as the Goodyears wear out. My biggest complaint about the Goodyears is how much sand and gravel they pick up and throw against the car.

My biggest complaint about the Goodyears is how much sand and gravel they pick up and throw against the car.

That is indeed very annoying! Have you every checked the rocker panels for all the excess gravel caught up in there? I did once and couldn't believe how much gravel poured out of there. I will say that over time this effect of picking up sand and gravel seems to have diminished, but only because the traction is nearly gone on these things.

The only variable in calculating circumference is the change in radius. Which is a function of the changing width ie 295 vs 285. That's the 3%. Of course if their actual tire wall sizes are different then there'd be a diffrence from my theoretical number.btw I was trying to figure out the 101 and 105 terms. I'll bet it's the tire is 5% wider / higher than nominal.

I myself am no engineer, so there is a high likelihood that I have no idea what I'm talking about here. But I'm not sure calculating this based on theoretical 295 vs 285 sizes gives a real world result when you are comparing across brands, even within the same brand. It seems almost like how HDTV's have gone to a "class" of size, e.g., a 52" class tv may not truly measure 52" diagonally. A 295 Michelin tire is not necessarily the same size as a 295 GY, or another Michelin for that matter.

As for what 101 and 105 means in terms of the size of the tire, I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if there is any true correlation. All I know is that 101Y and 105Y are indicators of load rating of the tire.

Got one last question the Michelin site says the tire is not designed to drive in near freezing conditions. The gy tires aren't supposed to be driven under ,40. So are they both not supposed to be driven under 40.

Is there something documenting their lie temp performance

Got one last question the Michelin site says the tire is not designed to drive in near freezing conditions. The gy tires aren't supposed to be driven under ,40. So are they both not supposed to be driven under 40.

Is there something documenting their lie temp performance

I don't know the specifics, but I do know these particular tires are "summer tires." Michelin also offers "all-season" tires in the MPSS line, I believe in these same sizes. Being in Texas and also having a Tacoma 4x4 as my second vehicle, summer tires are what I prefer for my Shelby.

... I'm not sure calculating this based on theoretical 295 vs 285 sizes gives a real world result when you are comparing across brands, even within the same brand. It seems almost like how HDTV's have gone to a "class" of size, e.g., a 52" class tv may not truly measure 52" diagonally. A 295 Michelin tire is not necessarily the same size as a 295 GY, or another Michelin for that matter.

As I said earlier, I got my specs directly from the respective manufacturers, and on the specific tires in question.

That's why I'd be looking at the revolutions per mile specs instead of the diameter/circumference specs. Comparing the revs per mile for the two different tires should give a solid measure of impact on the speedo reading ...

Goodyear says 766 revs per mile for the 285 F1. Michelin says 740 revs per mile for the 295 MPSS.

I don't know the specifics, but I do know these particular tires are "summer tires." Michelin also offers "all-season" tires in the MPSS line, I believe in these same sizes. Being in Texas and also having a Tacoma 4x4 as my second vehicle, summer tires are what I prefer for my Shelby.

The Michelin PSS AS/3 is the all season tire for our cars. They are available in stock size for front and rear, but not a 295 for the rear. I'll be buying the all seasons as I drive the car in winter when roads are clear and dry.

The Michelin PSS AS/3 is the all season tire for our cars. They are available in stock size for front and rear, but not a 295 for the rear. I'll be buying the all seasons as I drive the car in winter when roads are clear and dry.

Ah, my bad. I guess that somehow makes sense.

FINALLY getting mine installed tomorrow!

Thats my color !!! what were the final sizes and price of you dont mind telling me.they look great esp the rears. Dont look big .can you tell the difference in traction

Thanks. The tires and prices were:

Fronts: 275/40ZR19XL 105Y $290 each

Rears: 295/35ZR20XL 105Y (FER) $393 each

Total was $1,577.34 installed, with tax, out the door.

I haven't had the chance to test out traction yet. Haven't even got it out on the freeway, just the drive home on neighborhood streets. But the ride did seem very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

If you actually want to put the power down. Toyo R888 is the only way to go. Have them on mine and they are awesome. they are much better than nitto 555R and last long not to mention they make the correct size. Almost no wheel spin and it's got exhaust, intake, and tune.

Archived