TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Had Michelin Pilot Super Sports Installed Today.

Cdvision

I had my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed today in stock sizes (255 40 19 and 285 35 19). I replaced my Hankook Ventus V12's. Initial impressions driving on my way home from the shop are very positive. Just heading out for a drive. In about two weeks my Ford Racing suspension goodies go on.

20140606_085947_zpsdaqfnwz2.jpg

20140606_092001_zps2qzvpucz.jpg

20140606_100712_zpsrwqdsfn9.jpg

20140606_100726_zpsbefbsscm.jpg

Cdvision,

Looking good, brother. I made the switch out of Nitto 555 into MPSS a couple months ago, and continue to enjoy the change.

Good luck with the suspension upgrades; another quality improvement in our cars.

All the best,

Quinn

I just got back. WOW what an improvement. I easily took an off ramp under acceleration at a speed that would have had me sideways with the old tires (I know this for a fact. Lol) Turn in response is much more direct and precise than my old Hankooks. A nice low rpm launch then roll on the throttle produced little spin and a solid chirp then hook in second!! I used to be able to spin the tires in second gear at 45 mph if I punched it. Now it just pulls...no spin no muss or fuss. Now I'm looking forward to the suspension upgrades and installing the smaller pulley!! Perma grin re-plastered on my face!!

I just got back. WOW what an improvement. I easily took an off ramp under acceleration at a speed that would have had me sideways with the old tires (I know this for a fact. Lol) Turn in response is much more direct and precise than my old Hankooks. A nice low rpm launch then roll on the throttle produced little spin and a solid chirp then hook in second!! I used to be able to spin the tires in second gear at 45 mph if I punched it. Now it just pulls...no spin no muss or fuss. Now I'm looking forward to the suspension upgrades and installing the smaller pulley!! Perma grin re-plastered on my face!!

Glad you are enjoying the Michelin's. I've found you can find grip with these tires where others would have certainly broken loose. The Pilot Super Sports definitely inspire confidence. As for your suspension and pulley project, I can assure you will think you're driving a completely different car when everything is done. When these cars are set up correctly, they are surprisingly agile and the Michelin's will make the car respond smartly to driver input. You can still spin them, but everything is under control.

Ordered new Michelins from Tirerack.285/30/20's were on back order. Weird email on topic Tirerack states "for your convieniance we will register your product number with DOT? Really, now our tires are registered with a gov agency. Anyone know why, just curious.

A friend of mine with a 2013 GT500 just had his 295 20 PSS installed. He called me and was super excited that he actually had traction in 1st gear. Gotta love these tires!!

Well by compromise, I mean that there is no way a PSS is going to grip as good as the Nitto, so short of that, do the PSS really hold traction well in 1st and 2nd gear? I'm looking for new tires, and I am considering the NT05R for the rears, and Invos for the front. The problem with the NT05R, not good in the corners, and I'm worried about sub 50F performance.

Well by compromise, I mean that there is no way a PSS is going to grip as good as the Nitto, so short of that, do the PSS really hold traction well in 1st and 2nd gear? I'm looking for new tires, and I am considering the NT05R for the rears, and Invos for the front. The problem with the NT05R, not good in the corners, and I'm worried about sub 50F performance.

It really boils down to how you drive the car. You can break any tire loose if you try, but if you are driving the car hard with the objective of getting traction off the line, the PSS tires are awesome. Even when the Michelin's break traction the car is still predictable unlike the Goodyear's which are downright scary. With proper clutch technique, I can romp on the throttle all the way through the gears. As with any high performance summer tire, cold temps will potentially create problems so I back off in the winter months. With that said, you can drive the car without worries provided you don't get aggressive. Michelin does make the PSS all season tire if you are more concerned about colder temps. I don't have any experience with the Nitto tires so I can't comment on their performance.

I run the same size and tire on mine in Florida. They grip great but with the pulley/tune I can break them loose in second with suspension upgrades. I hate to say short of a slick, no tire will just "Hook" on our cars at the power levels they make. I will say that they have been the best tire I have run though. They are awesome in the twisties as well. I am suprised how well they hook on wet roads too. During the cold months I would just do a little 2nd gear warm up and then they seemed fine.

I picked up a box full of goodies from the Ford dealer today!!!

Nice kit. It even comes with all new hardware.

2014-06-11%2017.14.53_zps4asqxvlm.jpg

20140611_083804_zpsdwszxogj.jpg

And evidently fits in the back of a convertible/pick up! Have fun with the new toys.

Lol. Yes. The parts guy suggested taking the parts out of the box and putting them in the trunk. It was to early in the morning for me to figure out something that simple.

I picked up a box full of goodies from the Ford dealer today!!!

Nice kit. It even comes with all new hardware.

2014-06-11%2017.14.53_zps4asqxvlm.jpg

20140611_083804_zpsdwszxogj.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that kit only work with coupes and not convertibles? I wanted to go for it but I went for the Eibach lowering springs because I thought these were incompatible.

k, great thread. I am fairly new to the GT500 scene, driven about 600 miles in my new to me GT500 and yep, the factory rubber does not make it a fun drive.

Any gear any time I do spin my tires. Not on purpose but it is frustrating. I cannot enjoy more of my GT500 as I am constantly feeling the rear spinning. I am not an aggressive driver but I do enjoy the occasional spirited run. :D

MPSS is heard alot by many when I mention the spinning issue.

Now I just have to find the right place to get them and 'splain to the wife that even after such a short drive the rubber needs to go.

My Mach 1 when new I replaced the Goodyear "skater"backs shortly after buying the Mach 1, guess now the F1s gotta go too.

The hunt for a great tire place begins.

k, great thread. I am fairly new to the GT500 scene, driven about 600 miles in my new to me GT500 and yep, the factory rubber does not make it a fun drive.

Any gear any time I do spin my tires. Not on purpose but it is frustrating. I cannot enjoy more of my GT500 as I am constantly feeling the rear spinning. I am not an aggressive driver but I do enjoy the occasional spirited run. :D

MPSS is heard alot by many when I mention the spinning issue.

Now I just have to find the right place to get them and 'splain to the wife that even after such a short drive the rubber needs to go.

My Mach 1 when new I replaced the Goodyear "skater"backs shortly after buying the Mach 1, guess now the F1s gotta go too.

The hunt for a great tire place begins.

Ray, the MPSS was the first Mod on my 2014. I replaced them at about 3,500 miles right after I got back from Charlotte. The couple mornings of 40 + degree weather and the raining day reminded me why I didn't like the F1's. One day leaving the hotel it was 45 and another 47 degrees F and the Shelby "hopped" leaving the parking lot both days slightly. Each time it would hop on me, I would look down at the outside temp gauge a it would always be below 50 degrees. The only "bad thing", and I'm really joking when I say this, is the tires have so much better grip that I feel like I've "lost" a hundred horsepower due to lack of wheelspin (LOL).

In your area, I might even try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. Might give you a another couple more months of driving time. ;)

Ray, the MPSS was the first Mod on my 2014. I replaced them at about 3,500 miles right after I got back from Charlotte. The couple mornings of 40 + degree weather and the raining day reminded me why I didn't like the F1's. One day leaving the hotel it was 45 and another 47 degrees F and the Shelby "hopped" leaving the parking lot both days slightly. Each time it would hop on me, I would look down at the outside temp gauge a it would always be below 50 degrees. The only "bad thing", and I'm really joking when I say this, is the tires have so much better grip that I feel like I've "lost" a hundred horsepower due to lack of wheelspin (LOL).

In your area, I might even try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. Might give you a another couple more months of driving time. ;)

Bill, I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Ordered new Michelins from Tirerack.285/30/20's were on back order. Weird email on topic Tirerack states "for your convieniance we will register your product number with DOT? Really, now our tires are registered with a gov agency. Anyone know why, just curious.

This is done in case manufacturer has a huge recall like a failure with the tire

• 1 year later...

I am bringing this post back to the top, because I am wondering how many miles you got from those Michelin tires? Or any feedback on the Nitto's. My Goodyear's are at 12k and pretty much done. I have had 4 track days on them and in the heat of Arizona, not much worry about cold. They do feel like steel wheels in the winter. I guess I am asking for a follow report on the tire thing.

My car is a stock 2012 with the performance package. I want to keep the stock size and I plan on 3 or 4 track days a year. Its a weekend cruiser.

There is a reason why MPSS are usually ranked highest. I wasn't sure considering the tread doesn't seem aggressive...but they are I think the best you can get when it comes to a road tire. All of my big time car buddies swear by MPSS (M3, Porsche GT2). I can say they do turn into steel once it hits 60 degrees...still drivable but absolutely no reason to be driving hard.

They get a good tread wear rating for being so high performance which is nice. I got my car 1 year ago and put 10k miles on it....the front tires had a little less than half tread remaining and its now time to replace them. I'd expect at least 20k out of a new set of front tires. Granted I don't track the car...I drive it spirited on roads though. Rears not sure...I had at least half tread left a few months ago and took a nail near the side wall...they couldn't patch it so that meant two new rear tires...I have 295s (fit very well) and after install from tire rack it ran almost $900. So that is defiantly the one con...they are expensive.

But honestly...they are worth every penny. I've ran into quite a few mid grade high performance tires on other cars that started cupping/uneven tread wear even when my alignment was good...these showed no sign of uneven tread wear...very good tire...though the price can hurt. But I'd say if you're going the cheap route you shouldn't have bought a Shelby GT500 in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback. I was not looking for cheap, I was looking for what works best for how I drive and the MPSS is looking to be the choice. As I searched the form, I read so many that just installed new tires and I guess I was looking for long term road test results. Between my company and my personal use I have 148 tires on the ground and the Tires for the Shelby are up there, but definitely not the most expensive in my fleet.

I really do appreciate the information.

I've had mine for 15 months, about 12k miles, mostly street driving in the South FL heat. They look pretty good, I can't see any areas that are wearing much. I don't drive excessively hard as a rule, but I don't stay off the gas either. Hope this helps out!

Archived