TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Spark Plugs For Stock 2007

Well I just hit 136k miles and last time I waited until 100k to replace the plugs but this time I thought I would do them at 135k.

My question is...for a stock setup is it best just to stick with the Motorcraft SP405 plugs (that have been working great) or try the NGK Iridium IX plugs that are on sale right now for nearly the identical price as the stock Motorcraft SP405 plugs? ($5 to $6 each)

Thanks,

MSB Mustang / Mark

I guess I will just stick with the Motorcraft SP405's then. Any thoughts on how many miles is best to replace them? They lasted 100K the 1st time and they actually looked very good when I took them out. Should have taken a picture.

Also Vegas Rich as per your sugestion...Do I just post the Question "Who has the most miles on a 2007 GT500" to start a "THREAD"?

MSB Mustang / Mark

• 2 months later...

Ready to order the spark plugs this week. (136700 miles now ) Been able to wait on the change out of the plugs because I still am not working (1.5 years now without an audio engineering job here in Silicon Valley) and thus I am hardly driving it now. 36.7k miles since the last change at 100k miles.

It is still set up for the stock boost with a minor engine tune from VMP. (Higher HP and Better Mileage)

I am about to order the standard SP405's spark plugs online for $3.13 each from RockAuto...Unless someone on the forum has a good reason to upgrade to another plug this time? Also does anyone know of a cheaper place to order them online? Just ordered the cabin filters from RockAuto for less than $7 each and they had the best price I could find with reasonable shipping costs. It will be interesting to see just how dirty the cabin filters are as I have never replaced them!

It is still running great! Hope it lasts another 10 years...or more. It amazes me that my 2007 GT500 still gets attention on the road as last week some "kids" in an "Older Saleen GT Mustang" buzzed me several times going up the hill from Pacifica to SSF. They did this "AFTER" I pulled over for them as we started up the steep uphill climb for about a mile...that made me smile a bit and the rest of the short drive up the hill was "interesting".

MSB Mustang / Mark

I guess I will just stick with the Motorcraft SP405's then. Any thoughts on how many miles is best to replace them? They lasted 100K the 1st time and they actually looked very good when I took them out. Should have taken a picture.

Also Vegas Rich as per your sugestion...Do I just post the Question "Who has the most miles on a 2007 GT500" to start a "THREAD"?

MSB Mustang / Mark

I would think that somewhere in the owner's manual there is a recommended spark plug change mileage or duration.

I haven't changed mine yet ... 7 years / 12000 miles +/- :lol: - At some point I'll let my dealer worry about how to do it...

• 6 months later...

139K miles now and finally ready to do the spark change that was last done at 100K miles. Went to RockAuto (cheapest) and noticed they are recommending the Denso Plat dual tip plugs. They look very interesting to me. Has anyone tried them yet on a stock 2007-2009?

Thanks Everyone,

MSBMustang / Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...