TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody Runnin The Resonator Delete Does It Do ??????

My opinion is that it made the blower whine only very slightly louder. No discernable performance gain. Worth it? Probably not but I really like to hear the blower whine so even the small increase in sound was something. My 08 whines like I want it to.

My opinion is that it made the blower whine only very slightly louder. No discernable performance gain. Worth it? Probably not but I really like to hear the blower whine so even the small increase in sound was something. My 08 whines like I want it to.

+1 & it looks a lot better under the hood.

If your longer term goal is to get a CAI, might want to save your $$. But if you want a cleaner look and a little louder supercharger whine, go for it. Easy to install and doesn't require a tune.

Does it make the supercharger whined a lot louder,do u feel any performance gains,was it worth the 90.00 canu hear it inside the car any better,etc etc etc

Ninety bucks? Did they go up? Because they've been 60 bucks everywhere I've seen.

You will get NO performance increase with one. The Throttle Body (TB) is the limiting factor in the intake stream, the "bottle neck" if you will. You can increase the size of the Throttle Body and gain some power but then the MAF is the limiting factor. Increase the MAF Housing and that's where you'll (potentially) need a new tune.

As the others have reported, you may gain a slight increase in blower whine. Some have, some have not (reported more whine).

The primary reason it's needed is to clear a Strut Tower Brace (STB). I've seen ONE TS member say they installed a STB over the intake resonator and a ton that said they couldn't.

Phill

Agree with most of what is said above. It cleans up the underhood area, slight increase in supercharger whine, and as far a horsepower increase? Unless you dyno'ed it back to back, you're not going to feel a 1, 5 or even a 10 hp increase in a 662 hp motor. If you notice the stock resonator is a small plastic "muffler" on the inside and gutting it or swapping it out with a straight through design should increase the sound somewhat. If your exhaust is loud you're probably not going to notice it but I think stock you can tell a slight increase in whine as boost climbs.

A guy over on SVTP gained 25hp on back to back dyno runs with just the reso delete and AirRaid filter.

LOL...Which tells me his OEM filter was REALLY plugged up. Or his dyno operator didn't know what he was doing.

Phill

Does it make the supercharger whined a lot louder,do u feel any performance gains,was it worth the 90.00 canu hear it inside the car any better,etc etc etc

IMO, the answers to your questions are yes, no, it depends.

While it didn't make my supercharger "scream", it is definitely more noticeable with the JLT intake I installed.

As others have said, horsepower gains from this mod are debatable. Mullens is correct, in that a seemingly knowledgeable "regular" at SVTP reported solid HP gain from this mod. Phill also makes a good point, in that that report is the first and only such one I recall reading. (While not ready to cast aspersions on the dyno owner/operator, I remain somewhat skeptical.) Bill is also correct in that, even if the HP gain is real, I don't see it being noticeable via the "butt dyno".

The "worth" of this mod is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. I didn't like the way the OEM plastic intake tube looked, nor the did I care the sound attenuation it was designed to provide. For me, therefore, the mod was worth what I spent on it. Obviously, YMMV.

IMG_0133_zpsf88c9dbf.jpg

LOL...Which tells me his OEM filter was REALLY plugged up. Or his dyno operator didn't know what he was doing.

Phill

I was shocked too but it looked legitimate to me. He did back to back to back runs stock, reso delete and TB and each time he made HP increases. Looking at that stock resonator restriction it looks feasible.

I was shocked too but it looked legitimate to me. He did back to back to back runs stock, reso delete and TB and each time he made HP increases. Looking at that stock resonator restriction it looks feasible.

Oh, wait a minute. Resonator delete AND Throttle Body? Without question the *TB* will gain you HP.

Phill

Okay well stupid question,where does this thing go,the resonator delete,I can't see by looking at my motor compartment,is it inside the cai,down towards the filter ,or up towards the tb inside the intake tube,any pics would be great,thank you.

I was very disappointed with the whine increase - next to nothing - but did like the looks in place of the ugly resonator.

Does anybody know if the stock air cleaner muffles the whine??????????????????and one that doesn't.

Put mine on the dyno completely stock @ 59 F 29.94 in-Hg 66% humidity and got 611rwhp - 590rwtq

VforceJohn is the member at SVT who did the testing and gained the Rwhp with the Res. Delete and Airaid Blue Non-oiled Filter. He owns his own Dynojet. I think it was a New car that sat all winter because of the weather. Click over and read his posts. Look at it this way his results were: $ 130.00 DIY Mod, 15 minute install, and 25 Rwhp gain. He got more with the TB, it's also listed. Hell if it's only 10 it's worth it. Louder Blower whine, and it looks better. Dealers out here said no warranty issues.

He is racing his New Vert now with great results. John is a good guy ck it out. Great numbers above Chuck, consider adding the Airaid Filter.

VforceJohn is the member at SVT who did the testing and gained the Rwhp with the Res. Delete and Airaid Blue Non-oiled Filter. He owns his own Dynojet. I think it was a New car that sat all winter because of the weather. Click over and read his posts. Look at it this way his results were: $ 130.00 DIY Mod, 15 minute install, and 25 Rwhp gain. He got more with the TB, it's also listed. Hell if it's only 10 it's worth it. Louder Blower whine, and it looks better. Dealers out here said no warranty issues.

He is racing his New Vert now with great results. John is a good guy ck it out. Great numbers above Chuck, consider adding the Airaid Filter.

That's what I was referring to. The man owns the dyno, did sequential runs and posted results. I know we are a suspicious bunch, but what more proof do you need?

I know we are a suspicious bunch, but what more proof do you need?

Repeatability.

Or at least ONE other car that shows a number like that.

Phill

I do hear slightly more whine with the Res Delete than the oem muffled box that came on the GT500. My butt dyno tells me its a bit more responsive, but Im sure thats just my bias.

Logically, the smoother laminar air flow in the res delete as compared with the oem one would likely also add to the HP, esp with the Airaid filter.

post-38126-0-07373300-1401320544_thumb.jpg

Repeatability.

Or at least ONE other car that shows a number like that.

Phill

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1010623-Which-throttle-body-to-put-on&p=14118565&viewfull=1#post14118565

Ask the owner of the car if you have questions, not the people quoting his results. His testing methods were legitimate, and I would trust his dyno proven results, regardless if the 25 horsepower gain is consistent every.single.time. with a filter and resonator delete installation. The bottom line, the same could be said for every modification you do on a car, as many variables come into play.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a dry blue Airaid filter - sure dressed up the engine compartment - that stock butt ugly yellow air filter didn't anything for looks.

still don't have much sc whine, but the exhaust is a sound of beauty - the wife even likes it - she loves driving it and she's a grandma - lucky me

I own a 2004 cobra too and I love the whine from the stock setup. I was pretty disappointed how quiet the stock setup is on my new gt500, and then it find out they actually put a muffler on it....but why? Sometimes I just have to scratch my head and move on. I read about the resonator delete and I also read that the air raid filter paired together would increase the whine. What I expected was more whine and no considerable power increase. To my surprise the whine only increased by maybe 10-15% but the power gain was actually noticeable. Keep in mind I expected no additional power, and I was totally fine with nothing but a louder blower. Frankly I don't know how many hp you have to add to a 662 hp car or notice it but it could be 25 hp. I have not put the car on a dyno, just my observation. For $125 worth of parts I got a bump in performance and a better looking engine compartment. The blue air raid matches my valve covers too!

Since then I added a vmp tune and a smaller pulley, she whines now like my 04. I should add though that the stock air filter was filthy and could have caused a problem. Weird thing was the car had 250 miles on it.

so, does the resonater delete mess with the factory warranty? would love more sound from the sc and the exhaust

I can't see how, the air filter certainly wouldn't. If you were worried about it you can quickly change it back to stock if you have to take it in for something, just keep the resonator and a screwdriver in the trunk just in case. Honestly I'm not worried about that in the least. Ford would have an incredibly hard time trying to blame damage on an air filter and a tube, a tube they make for our cars. Go for it, you won't regret it, just don't expect a tremendous change in whine.

I can't see how, the air filter certainly wouldn't. If you were worried about it you can quickly change it back to stock if you have to take it in for something, just keep the resonator and a screwdriver in the trunk just in case. Honestly I'm not worried about that in the least. Ford would have an incredibly hard time trying to blame damage on an air filter and a tube, a tube they make for our cars. Go for it, you won't regret it, just don't expect a tremendous change in whine.

Just one little correction: FORD does not make the resonator delete tubes for our cars. Ford RACING does and it says right on their site that they are NOT Ford Motor Company and are in fact, AFTERMARKET parts.

Having said that, I agree with everything else said; FoMoCo would play hell trying to prove that RESONATOR delete tube and/or air filter element had anything to do with a warranty failure (because it isn't possible except for a filter letting dirt/debris into the engine).

Phill

Just one little correction: FORD does not make the resonator delete tubes for our cars. Ford RACING does and it says right on their site that they are NOT Ford Motor Company and are in fact, AFTERMARKET parts.

Having said that, I agree with everything else said; FoMoCo would play hell trying to prove that RESONATOR delete tube and/or air filter element had anything to do with a warranty failure (because it isn't possible except for a filter letting dirt/debris into the engine).

Phill

Gotcha, didn't consider there was any difference before. I suppose different companies under the same umbrella? That's interesting

Archived