TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What To Use For Wax And To Clean Wheels?

Hi all. I have a 2012 GT500 that has been in the family since the day it rolled off the lot, however it has recently made it's way into my garage! I plan on getting her cleaned up this weekend and wanted to ask for suggestions so I don't screw anything up. What do you guys recommend for a wax? Do I need to be careful and wax the main body of the car and the stripes separately (don't drag the applicator over the edge of the stripe), or do I just wax the whole car normally? I don't want to hurt the stripes or get any wax trapped along the edge. What do you guys use for a wheel cleaner? I have the 19" "smoked"/painted wheels on it. I just want to make sure I don't damage them with something too harsh!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I recently started using 303 Protectant on the stripes, and it does an awesome job of glossing them up and protecting them. I also just waxed with PoorBoys products and got excellent results. My standby quick wax is Meguires Tech Wax 2. Easy peasy application and removal with excellent shine!!

Good luck,

Mike

PS. I use Simple Green on my Rims.

Thanks for the write up ingotsilversnake and for the reply gotoatz. I have heard of Liquid Glass, just never used it myself. Sounds like it is a good product though. I usually use Tech Wax but when I went to wax my truck last weekend the can I had was dried up, so I got some Mothers Brazlilian Cleaner Wax (my truck was a mess) and it seemed to do a good job. I just want to make sure the Shelby looks the best it can all the time!

There's a lot of products out there that do a good job. Everyone has their own "go to." Since I have chrome wheels, as soon as I got them I threw on 5 coats of liquid glass to protect them a bit. As for the paint on the car, I've switched over to "Wizzards" for everything. I've had very good results with their products.

I use a pressure washer to clean my wheels, 3100 psi, the wheel is cleaned & waxed, inside & outside, each time it's removed from the car.

I use Eagle 1 Clear Nanowax Spray on the wheels. Any brake dust is easily removed during the driving season, by a damp cloth.

Have tried several popular finishes on my 11, but have switched to Liquid Glass. Liquid Glass is the only thing I've used from day 1 on my 14.

As far as the tape stripes are concerned, if they are gloss, treat them the same as the rest of the car.

There are so many products out there. The paint on the Shelby is nothing special (typical base coat/clear coat). The main thing is preping the paint surface. Wash it good, clay it, wash it again, rinse good, dry, seal it and then wax it with the wax of your choice. I use Blackfire Ice wax, it is a white carnouba(sp?) and it does a great job.

I put a coat of Zaino Z2 show car polish and then a coat of Meguiar's "Deep Crystal" carnuba wax for protection.

Here's the result and it lasts about 2-3 months.

aexc.jpg

aexc1.jpg

There are so many products out there. The paint on the Shelby is nothing special (typical base coat/clear coat). The main thing is preping the paint surface. Wash it good, clay it, wash it again, rinse good, dry, seal it and then wax it with the wax of your choice. I use Blackfire Ice wax, it is a white carnouba(sp?) and it does a great job.

+1 to the process outlined above.

I use Pinnacle's Wolfgang Souveran, expensive, but worth the money. Love the results and ease of use.

David

I really like Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant, it lasts a long time and isn't too shiny. They have a good wash soap also. I have been using Chemical Guys Blacklight sealant, which also seems to really last and is easy to use. Plus it smells like grape bubble gum! Haven't found anything great for the wheels, but have been tempted to try some of the aluminum products we use on the boat...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived