TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternator Croaked On My 2007 Super Snake Yesterday

Guest markham51

Guest markham51

"Check Charging System" display came on (red engine light icon as well). Same thing happened last year on my other 07 GT500. Alternator was toast. It was not a SS however and Ford dealer changed it out with no problem once he sourced one (not easy).

The SS however has the KB SC setup and the tech at the closest Ford Dealer (not SVT) mentioned to the service rep it looked really hard to get to...even to test it. I had to leave it with them last night (2 hours away from me)

So...for you techies out there...should I leave it with this "random" Ford Dealer hoping the mechanic can figure it out, or should I find someone else to do the job?

I had the same issue on my 2007 Super Snake last year. I was on the back straight at Mosport, Ontario at around 140mph. Red light came on, I slow down and the car stalled just as I was pulling off the track. Long story short, flat bed home, trailered to a buddies garage. New alternator ordered, It took around two hours to install. You have to drop the sway bar and cold air duct for the brakes to get up to it. Good luck.

I changed my alternator out on a road trip this past April in an Autozone parking lot on jack stands....Obviously they didn't have an alternator, I was lucky and there was a Shelby parts distributor in that town. Like Robert said you'll have to disconnect the front swaybar (just where it bolts to the frame) to swing it out of the way. If you have the Shelby gauge pod (guessing you do if it's a SS) with the oil gauge, you'll have to move the sending unit out of the way too. It is definitely in the realm of a DIY or a "ford" technician. The intake will have to be removed to get at the upper mounting bolts...

Edited by Triumph

• 2 weeks later...

The problem isn't the alternator itself, it is the poorly made Mexican diode pack. The joints on the diodes are soldered instead of welded. Any high load from a weak battery or the usually high voltage from higher than normal"rpm", creates heat at those joints softening the solder and eventually blowig the joint. Instead of a $400 alternator order the heavy duty diode pack that is welded for around $75... Same alternator found on most mustangs including the 4.0. Ole man Ford left us hanging on this one, it is a known issue that they gamble on being out of warranty before it fails. High rpm is the main cause they will say!

Welcome in our Club...

2 Years ago on my 2008, got it changed in warranty.

Juergen

The problem isn't the alternator itself, it is the poorly made Mexican diode pack. The joints on the diodes are soldered instead of welded. Any high load from a weak battery or the usually high voltage from higher than normal"rpm", creates heat at those joints softening the solder and eventually blowig the joint. Instead of a $400 alternator order the heavy duty diode pack that is welded for around $75... Same alternator found on most mustangs including the 4.0. Ole man Ford left us hanging on this one, it is a known issue that they gamble on being out of warranty before it fails. High rpm is the main cause they will say!

Do you have a part number for this diode pack?

• 1 month later...

The only big deal with this is the bolts on the sway bar are supposed to be a "one-time" use only.

So when you pull the bar you're supposed to replace the bolts.

Apparently there is a way to remove the alternator with some kind of tetris bullcrap and get it out without moving the bar but I tried it and absolutely could NOT get it out without removing the bar.

I also didn't replace my bolts :/

• 2 months later...

Talk about timely! I went to get breakfast tacos Sunday (a tradition). Baterry died a the taco joint. Had to get jump started. On the drive home, had no electronics. Put in a new battery after testing old one at Autozone.

THEN the red battery light and charging system message came on. Code said bad voltage reg. They said That I needed a new alternator.

Car is 07 Super Snake with 6300 miles. Sounds like this is a consistant problem.

Are aftermarket alternators better than stock, which appears lousy.

Thanks, Dark Snake

• 8 months later...

There have been a number of owners who have installed the 10% pulley shown below. Some claim that over revving these alternators kills them over time, especially if the car has a bigger rear end gear and higher than factory rev limit adjustments...........

http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

^^^^This was the fix back in the "old days" also on cars with "drag pack" type gears. I remember the 289 hi-po had the big alt. pulley, so did the BOSS 302 and 351. I believe the higher hp Chevrolets also got the big alt. pulleys.

The 10% still keeps the system fully charge from what I have heard, the 15% may be a little slow for the system...............again, from what I have heard.

R

Edited by Robert M