TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone Have Experience Using Vp100 Racing Fuel As An Octane Booster ?

Just found some 5 gallon cans of VP100 racing fuel at a local Shell station and am wondering if anyone has already experimented with the ratio this needs to be cut into a tank of 91 octane to make the ideal 93 or so blend. Also any warnings or dangers this may cause for my stock engine? They are only $50 so am willing to give it a try, but def don't want to do any damage in pursuit of a few HP... Any advice appreciated. Do I need to tune the car before the switch or will knock sensor make up the difference?

Thanks,

Matt

I ran through two 5 gallon cans of VP110 unleaded gasoline at the April 12th & 13th 2014 Mojave Mile LSR event without any problem. I had a near empty tank when I used it so it was relatively 'straight' as opposed to a mixed ratio.

Is the VP100 leaded or unleaded? Because I'm not sure how you think it will cause any engine damage unless it is leaded and then it will hurt the cats and O2 sensors, not the engine.

Phill

When I returned home from Vegas for the 50th i stopped and put in about 8 gallons of 100 octane. Then once I got back down to Phoenix the car sat for maybe a week. Started it up just fine and went to the gas station. Only have 91 around here and filled the car up from about a 1/4 tank. The car struggled to start for a moment. It started briefly and then died. Tried again and it struggled a bit and gave a little gas and went right back to normal. Then went on a little trip about 40 miles and the car sat for about an hour. Started the car again and it struggled very briefly and gave some gas again and right back to normal. That is the first and last time that has ever happened.

Does anyone know if going from 100 octane back down to 91 might cause the car to stumble a bit on startup? It really concerned me because the never did that before. Figured maybe it was getting used to the 100 and all the sudden back down to 91. Maybe it didn't like that? Does the computer adapt to the higher octane and then have to adapt again with a 91 octane?

I ran through two 5 gallon cans of VP110 unleaded gasoline at the April 12th & 13th 2014 Mojave Mile LSR event without any problem. I had a near empty tank when I used it so it was relatively 'straight' as opposed to a mixed ratio.

Is the VP100 leaded or unleaded? Because I'm not sure how you think it will cause any engine damage unless it is leaded and then it will hurt the cats and O2 sensors, not the engine.

Phill

Phill,

VP110 is leaded gasoline and colored purple, they actually have a sign with it that says it can ruin your cats if you run it ... VP100 is orange, unleaded and wont hurt the cats or O2 sensors as advertised, I'm asking if anyone has had an experience like Mustangman has mentioned above ? I don't want to introduce an issue with the knock sensor or something else I am not aware of just to get a few HP, but if totally safe it is relatively cheap bang for the buck...

Phill,

VP110 is leaded gasoline and colored purple, they actually have a sign with it that says it can ruin your cats if you run it ...

UH OH! I have the cans out in my garage. i better check them to see what I did.

I'll let you know.

Phill

Yea 1.21 Gigawatts is right about that VP 110 being leaded fuel.

I don't know what happened with mine that one time. Just very odd. But haven't had that issue since. I'm thinking the ECU was starting to adapt to a higher octane fuel maybe and then all the sudden didn't like 91 being put in. But no issue since so I don't know what happened. No engine codes.

Yea 1.21 Gigawatts is right about that VP 110 being leaded fuel.

God, I hope not! I ran 10 gallons through my car. 3 to 5 gallons *will* poison a O2 sensor. Mine hasn't set a code but has been running a bit odd since the Mojave Mile event. Aww hell, I'm going out to my garage right now to check.

Stand by, I'll let you know what I find.

Phill

God, I hope not! I ran 10 gallons through my car. 3 to 5 gallons *will* poison a O2 sensor. Mine hasn't set a code but has been running a bit odd since the Mojave Mile event. Aww hell, I'm going out to my garage right now to check.

Stand by, I'll let you know what I find.

Phill

'

Hmm. The plot thickens. I was told it was 110 but the label says "MS109" so I'm ASSUMING it is 109 octane. It doesn't say anything about leaded fuel but it says "Contains MTBE", which I believe is Ethanol, not lead.

Anyone???

Phill

Ah ok your clear then! MS 109 is their Motorsports 109 UNLEADED. They don't make a LEADED 109.

PHEW! Ya skeered the shit out'a me!

Phill

PHEW! Ya skeered the shit out'a me!

Phill

Agreed, I don't have any experience with racing fuel so didnt want to experiment with this car...I would be ripping my hair out if I did something dumb, and cant afford to lose any more hair either !

Since both of you guys seem to feel a difference in the performance of the car I am hesitant to try even cutting it in to a full tank of 91. Problem is that there is no 93 available anywhere in the Phoenix area and is frustrating...

The pamphlet I got from the Shell station says that the MS109 is clear in color and is a 101 octane Unleaded and oxygenated race gas so should be ok to run as well.

Phill, is it possible the issues could be caused by changing the octane levels relatively quickly ? Maybe the knock sensor/computer cant adjust fast enough ? Just wondering if we kept using the higher octane instead of switching back if everything would be ok?

Thanks for the input,

Matt

Phill, is it possible the issues could be caused by changing the octane levels relatively quickly ? Maybe the knock sensor/computer cant adjust fast enough ? Just wondering if we kept using the higher octane instead of switching back if everything would be ok?

There is no reason I can think of that dramatic changes in octane should cause driveability problems. But having said that, I too noticed a difference with mine. It sounded WAY more "hotroddish". Almost like I blew the stuffing out of the mufflers (but I don't have mufflers!). More of a 'gurgle' sound coming out of the pipes.

For awhile. It seems to have gone back to its normal ways now. I also thought I wounded my clutch. Grinding going into reverse if I wasn't VERY careful (put in 1st, then R), etc.

I'm just wondering if MY problem is all in my head.

It is possible that the Knock Sensor/s (KS) have a Range Of Authority (ROA) like many other sensors do and the Adaptive Strategy adapts to the high octane racing fuel and then has to readapt to the pump gas. That's what the AS does, allows adaption for sensors that WEAR. I can see the big difference in fuel looking like a KS wearing out, adapting to it then having to readapt for the pump gas.

I just don't KNOW if that's what's going on.

Phill

I mix 100 now 101 from a 76 station near me and haven't had any problems yet. My last twin turbo BMW I owned would stumble after stepping down octane but haven't had that happen on the gt500.

Hope the chart helps

Wow, cool thanks Pue174. That chart is exactly what I have been looking for !

Gonna mix on my next fill up and just keep running with the resulting 93 blend...

Thanks for all the input guys

Archived