TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I was in a burnout contest yesterday.

150man

There was a car show this weekend about 80 miles from my home, so I went and entered my car. It attracted quit a bit of attention, and I was given many compliments. For Ford/Shelby fans there were a few other cars of interest. I saw a '68 GT500, (red w/ white stripes), a 427 Cobra, (couldn't tell if it was original, but I doubt it), and a Ford GT. There were also several other nice Mustangs, ('70 Mach I, Boss 302, and some nice GT's from various years). Saw another one that I'd never heard of before- it was an AJ Foyt Mustang GT.

Anyway, as part of the festivities, they also had a "burnout" contest on Main Street. The police had closed off the street, and even bleachers had been set up for the crowd. I decided that would be fun, so I headed off downtown a little early and got to be second in line, (behind on old Ford Galaxie that had been dressed up to look like Andy Griffith's cop car). I really didn't know what to expect at all. I started having a funny feeling however, when the line started forming behind me, and it consisted mostly of old farm trucks! Then the fire dept. showed up, set up a hose and made a big wet spot where the burnout started. Now I was in a dilemma. I couldn't decide if I wanted to start off in second gear or first. I'd never done burnout on wet pavement before. I didn't watch the first car because there were a lot of people between me and the wet spot. So I pull out in front of a couple hundred people and stopped. I decided to use first gear because I thought if I started in second and didn't give it enough revs, the engine would bog, and I would be embarassed, and bring shame to the new GT 500! So, I let 'er rip, and as you might guess I hit the rev limiter pretty fast, so I power shifted into second and still got some pretty good spin. Unfortunetly, by then I was onto the dry pavement and the tires started hooking up pretty quick, so I had to lift off and hit the brakes before I charged into the saw horses they had set up to block traffic at the other end of the block. I heard a few cheers and applause since I had the top down, so I felt OK. I should have started in second- or maybe even third.

I quickly parked, and walked back to the start line to see what this thing was all about. What I found out was that what the crowd liked the best was to watch an old farm truck with no mufflers and no back brakes sit in one spot and spin the tires, (or tire, as the case might be), until one of the tires blew up. It was the most boring thing I'd ever seen! I went expecting to see a lot of high performance cars get on it and lay down a 100 feet or so of rubber, and all I got to see was some old farm trucks. The lady who ran the paperwork said she was suprised that I would enter the contest with such a "nice car".

Anyway, that's the last "burnout" contest I'll ever be in. I don't know if I won anything. (I was in the 1970, and up category), since I didn't go back today for the awards.

ROFLMAO! That is a good story for the memory books! I'll bet you will never forget that one? I have seen one similar to that only they used motorcycles (Ninja Bikes Mainly). This sounds like something I would have done so don't feel bad. :rockon:

There is your AJ Foyt link. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/aj-foyts-coy...on-mustang.html

Thanks for the link! That was the car I saw alright. This particular car didn't have a blower, and I noticed that the owner wrote down "5.4" on his entry form for engine size. I can't imagine an entire engine swap as one of the options...

What does the rev limiter do?

The computer in the car is programed to only go to X amount of RMP. so if you forget to shift to the next higher gear. you won't blow up your engine. That's about as complex of an answer that my simple mind can comprend.

I live in the panhandle of Oklahoma. The car show was in a far western Oklahoma town. The real hick part of OK is in the SE part of the state, (also known as "Little Dixie"), they let school out for a week during deer season, and cock fighting is a near religion- if that tells you anything. The cars and people at the car show were "normal", but there was a whole new crowd at the burn out contest!

Live and learn.

I'm wondering if the road was asphalt or dirt now? :hysterical2:

GT500's should never be placed on a dirt road

that's bad, very bad... :hysterical2: funny but bad

That is nothing!

I was in a burnout contest once. It was many, many, many years ago! Back in the 70's.

Anyway, we would all go to White Castles and order up a bunch of those little bite size burgers, see. I usually got 30 for myself! Then we get back to the crib and we all would start shoveling them down as fast as we could. About 20 minutes or so after munching down all those burgers we would start with the burnout contest! I was first up ready to go with a major burnout! I mean I was feeling it coming on strong to, man! So I shout out, OK people....here comes....so I get ready and I mean I feel it coming on strong so I give it a really good extra push just to blast that burnout really loud.....and then it happens.....BAM!!!! I ended up sh*tting right in my pants!!! :hysterical:

And no....I didn't get any award either! Just a drawer full of sh*t!!!! :hysterical:

That is a true story! :hysterical:

So now you don't have to feel bad any more. :hysterical:

What the heck? :huh: I grew up back in those days and I remember those 10 Cent soy burgers or oatmeal burgers or whatever you call them but I dont remember :headscratch::stop: I also remember the burgers at Big Boy and White Tower were much better. We even had an A&W which had the best Root Beer Floats! And of course it was always "Sunday at MOTOR CITY SPEEDWAY"! The best radio station -the BIG 8 CKLW of course!

What the heck? :huh: I grew up back in those days and I remember those 10 Cent soy burgers or oatmeal burgers or whatever you call them but I dont remember :headscratch::stop: I also remember the burgers at Big Boy and White Tower were much better. We even had an A&W which had the best Root Beer Floats! And of course it was always "Sunday at MOTOR CITY SPEEDWAY"! The best radio station -the BIG 8 CKLW of course!

My favorite was Detroit Dragway. Sibley at Dix. I saw my first professional drag racing there when I was about 12 years old. In those days there was no such thing as a professional tour like there is now. It was mostly match races. The promoter would put up a purse as a percentage of the gate receipts. My grandfather took me to see Art Arfons in a jet dragster called the Geen Monster race Connie Kalitta in the old slingshot Bounty Hunter for the best 2 out of 3. Smoke and fire all the way down the track. I've been a fan ever since. Now I take my boys to Englishtown every year. Yep, CKLW was the best.

That depends!!!!

Depends on the burgers you eat. Some of those will cause some pretty heavy burnouts! :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Depends!! He said Depends!

:hysterical2:

bj

That is nothing!

I was in a burnout contest once. It was many, many, many years ago! Back in the 70's.

Anyway, we would all go to White Castles and order up a bunch of those little bite size burgers, see. I usually got 30 for myself! Then we get back to the crib and we all would start shoveling them down as fast as we could. About 20 minutes or so after munching down all those burgers we would start with the burnout contest! I was first up ready to go with a major burnout! I mean I was feeling it coming on strong to, man! So I shout out, OK people....here comes....so I get ready and I mean I feel it coming on strong so I give it a really good extra push just to blast that burnout really loud.....and then it happens.....BAM!!!! I ended up sh*tting right in my pants!!! :hysterical:

And no....I didn't get any award either! Just a drawer full of sh*t!!!! :hysterical:

That is a true story! :hysterical:

So now you don't have to feel bad any more. :hysterical:

ShelbyDude, that is just plain wrong...LMAO. But I gotta hand it to ya for 'manning up' to take the heat off of 150man. Dang that must have been quite the shi%*&^^y feeling! Hope the burnout was worth it!!

ShelbyDude, that is just plain wrong...LMAO. But I gotta hand it to ya for 'manning up' to take the heat off of 150man. Dang that must have been quite the shi%*&^^y feeling! Hope the burnout was worth it!!

Yeah, it just kinda took all the fun out of the moment! :hysterical:

Yeah, it just kinda took all the fun out of the moment! :hysterical:

Maybe so when it happened but it is hysterical now and I am glad you can share and laugh about it now. We all have had our 'moments'.

Archived