TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Wondering, Who Has Replaced Battery And When?

Still running original battery, still starts car just fine even after sitting all winter. Its coming up on six years old and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace it even tho it still works. Would sure hate to be on a road trip some weekend and have it decide to poop out on me!

If anyone had their battery quit on them, when did it go?

I replaced mine on my 2008 this spring. I keep it on a battery tender through the winter since I don't drive it. The car still started but was cranking a tad slow so I just decided to replace it. I usually replace batteries about the 6 year mark and most times before they die. They never seem to go at a good time and I don't need the aggravation.

Chip

I replaced mine on my 2008 this spring. I keep it on a battery tender through the winter since I don't drive it. The car still started but was cranking a tad slow so I just decided to replace it. I usually replace batteries about the 6 year mark and most times before they die. They never seem to go at a good time and I don't need the aggravation.

Chip

+1, mine went 6yrs, three without much miles and didn't used a charger until just before it died.

Mine lasted 5 years 10 months and just quit. I was blessed to be home when it happened. By itself, the car was making a clicking sound and some parking lights were flashing. The car was ok after I changed the battery.

Mine is over 6 years, and I have not had any issues so far.

I do pull it out of the car over the winter though, and charge it every few months with an intelligent charger.

I have had some oem ones last as long as 11 years myself, in an all season vehicle running in temperatures as low as -40.

If you have a voltmeter, you can take a few measurements and look for warning signs.

A charged up battery at rest should be close to 12.6V, and when cranking the motor it should not drop below 9.5V or so.

With your car running, and the alternator doing its thing, you will probably see around 14.5V or so.

If it deviates very far from those readings, you might want to consider picking up a replacement.

For me the scary part would be if the CD player noises don't go away, as some have encountered when their CD player fails.

I always hope to hear it settle down after 30 seconds or so, and so far it has.

Sometimes the horn does a short honk when you connect the battery too, which is amplified in a small garage.

We just replaced the battery in the GT this Spring after 7 years. It was getting pretty weak the end of last season but decided to wait until the car was taken out of storage for the winter. The battery is disconnected over the winter but was dead as a door nail after reconnecting the cable. Took almost 20 minutes on a heavy duty car starter to get it to crank over. Drove directly to the Ford garage and had a new battery installed.

The GT500's battery is 5 1/2 years old and the one in the KR is 5 years old. Both are still doing well. The GT500's battery is also disconnected over the winter but the KR has a battery tender on it all winter. If either starts to get weak, I guess we will need to plan on getting them replaced prior to storage this time. However, being a Yankee, we will probably push them to their limits. :-)))

Mine went 5 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days.... literally. I did the math from date of purchase. Went with a Yellow Top Optima.

My 2007 SVT#12 original battery made it until two weeks ago! Considering my build date is 4/6/2006 8 years for a battery is not too bad!

Replaced it with the ProStart from PepBoys which is made by battery giant Johnson Controls. We will see if the new one makes it 8 years.

MSB Mustang / Mark

My original still seems fine but this thread makes me think I should at least start testing it.

My garden tractor battery is 24 years old and still cranks like new, even after sitting in the shed all winter.

By the way, simply disconnecting a battery may not be the best thing. They can still discharge. Better to use a battery maintainer.

I still have the original Motorcraft in my 2008, I keep a Battery Tender Plus on it always when the car is not in use. I did the same thing with a 1995 Cobra R and got 13 years out of the original assy. line Motorcraft battery.

R

• 4 weeks later...

Well mines dead today. 7 1/2 years. I was going to do it this year now I have to. What battery are you guys putting in the factory box? Not much room in there with hood clearance. I would like to go with a AGM but they seem too tall.

Well mines dead today. 7 1/2 years. I was going to do it this year now I have to. What battery are you guys putting in the factory box? Not much room in there with hood clearance. I would like to go with a AGM but they seem too tall.

Two posts back mine was fine (in May), two days ago all I got was "click", "click", "click" when I tried to start my car, luckily it is in the garage. I can't complain about 6-7 years out of an original MOTORCRAFT assy. line battery that is usually a 3/36K item, so I am going back with a correct original Motorcraft replacement, it fits right and the original heat insulator blanket that Ford felt was necessary will fit it correctly. I can buy a new Ford parts dept. Motorcraft battery for $112 including tax. The replacement Motorcraft has a higher rating than the oem assy. line battery and also includes a 100 month warranty (pro-rated after 36 months). For the correct fit, and that kind of warranty I will go back with a Motorcraft, especially since the first/original battery lasted so long.

R

• 3 weeks later...

Still have the original battery in my '09KR (6 yrs old now). Keep it on a battery tender when parked in garage.

In my '99 Mustang Cobra, have a Optima Red that is now 9.5 years old. Also kept on a battery tender.

Just purchased a new Optima Red to have as a spare when one of these finally goes.

I replaced mine about 4 weeks ago. Weird sounds and messages started happening. I did some research here, got freaked out about maybe losing my stereo and went to the dealer for a new one - replaced with the proper Ford battery. Had a few CD player noises when I reconnected, but they went away in a few seconds. I am not the first owner, and the battery I replaced wasn't stock - it also was a no-namer.

Running great again!

• 4 weeks later...

Update - about 2 weeks after my previous post I started having electrical issues again. Clock resetting, and CD player (no cd's loaded) making sounds for a while and resetting clock to 12:00 and radio to 570 am. Then things like the door windows not returning to the full up position when I close the door. At lunch just now it made a couple of coughing sounds before it started.

I had it to the dealer a short while back and they couldn't find anything.

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks

Gregg

Update - about 2 weeks after my previous post I started having electrical issues again. Clock resetting, and CD player (no cd's loaded) making sounds for a while and resetting clock to 12:00 and radio to 570 am. Then things like the door windows not returning to the full up position when I close the door. At lunch just now it made a couple of coughing sounds before it started.

I had it to the dealer a short while back and they couldn't find anything.

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks

Gregg

Defective or dead battery.

Archived