TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Esp--Alternatives?

thewheelman

My Ford ESP expires in August of this year. It was good to 75k and I'm at 43k now, so the time will expire long before the mileage does. I would like to renew but the $$$ is pretty steep! About 3 times what I paid for the original! That being said, $100 deductible for clutch replacement, syncro replacement, alternator, a/c compressor, supercharger, etc. is pretty nice.

What are some reputable aftermarket warranties? AAA no longer sells them in KY. This is the one and only ESP I've ever purchased. Wish I had on some previous cars, but I can see this thing being a maintenance hog and costing me $$$ I don't have in the future......

Thanks in advance!

I am surpised that you have not been bombarded with offers yet. I get about 15 to 20 offers a Year and some are for Vehilces that I owned 3 or 4 Vehilces ago. I got one a few weeks ago for the E250 Cargo Van that had 4 Vehicles ago.

As a former Ford Factory Field Rep ('83 to '88) I find non-factory backed warranties to be worthless.

I've heard some talk of a Kelley Blue Book warranty but don't know much about it.

There was a GE Capital warranty at one time that was not good at all.

You might be better off just doing a monthly 'sweep' of your checking account into a money mkt account and calling it 'the repair fund.'.

This will give you some back-up funding if you never have a major repair (knock on fender) and if not; you have this money for a down stroke for your next fun car.

Not sure where you're getting your quote from, but others on the site have pointed out http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com as a much cheaper and still reputable source for Ford ESP plans, both new and renewals. Their price was roughly half what my dealer quoted me.

I just extended ,mine with them and have had no issues. I do think it was about 1200. for another 5 years which will pay for itself.

i WORKED FOR FORD MOTOR CO. FOR 30 YRS. AFTER MARKET WARRINTEES SUCK,THEY SEND OUT REPS COULD TAKE 1 WEEK FOR THEM TO LOOK AT YOUR CAR,THEN 3 OR 4 DAYS TO SEE IF THEY WILL FIX IT,THEN CHARGE EXTRA $$$ FOR SOME GASKETS COOLANT,I WOULD STRONGLEY RECCOMEND ONLY FORD WARRENTY.......HEARD AN SEEN ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH AFTER MARKET WARR.

Not sure where you're getting your quote from, but others on the site have pointed out http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com as a much cheaper and still reputable source for Ford ESP plans, both new and renewals. Their price was roughly half what my dealer quoted me.

Wow! Prices on lombard are about 1/2 of what I got from anywhere else......and the "no warranty available for this model, please call for a custom quote" Thanks for the link! I'll definitely be touching base with them again!

Hmm, Im just not a fan of extended warranties.

I have had ZERO luck getting a dealer to replace ANYTHING under warranty. Not only do I NOT get an extended warranty, but I usually just pretend the factory warranty isnt even there to begin with. Ive only had a couple minor things come up on all of my Fords though over the past several years. The only one covered was an alternator in my 2008 GT500. (and the dealer tried to charge me a "service charge" for doing that work)

Dubbs, sorry man, my experience has been exactly the opposite. Selling dealer (Nashville) and local dealer have both bent over backwards to make sure everything on this car gets done right and at the least possible cost to me. 2 clutch replacements, alternator, transmission rebuild, top refitting, all in all, I've paid more for oil changes than for the above mentioned items......just lucky I guess.

Along with dlfort above if your going to get a vehicle service agreement go with the factory. Btw, they are not extended warranties they are service agreements, basically an insurance policy against mechanical and electrical failures. Only the factory backed programs repair without you jumping through hoops and at the end telling you the oil or some other obscure item is not covered, or here is the big one, your part failed due to consequential damage by a non covered part so nothing is covered. It's up to you whether you buy one, I personally believe in them when the dealership your purchasing from isn't marking it up through the roof. Profit is not a bad word but you have to be reasonable, only and I stress only buy a manufacturers backed program or when you have a claim you'll be disapointed.

Go factory or don't bother.

All of my Ford warranties and other non-Ford factory warranties have more than paid for themselves.

I also know people that have had problems with second party warranties. With both coverage issues, timeliness and repairs over items that were previously repaired. As in, the tranny was previously worked on so we won't cover that repair job.

All it takes is about two service visits plus the parts and you have more than paid for a warranty.

Tom

I just checked the Lombard Warranty out. I can get 36,000 miles/7 years with $50 deductible for right at $600. I thought it was odd it didn't ask for the model for coverage. It seemed we are quoted in the same category as a 5.0 or even a V6. That includes a one-day promotion code that knocks $189 if I purchase today. I think I am going for it.

Tom

Thanks everyone! After doing a little internet research and taking your comments into consideration, I believe I'll stick with Ford ESP with one of the dealers mentioned above. I've inquired at my local dealer but haven't gotten much response from them yet. My ESP expires in August, so I've got a little time to think about it. Need to take the car in next week to get the rattlesnake out of the stereo (see post with that reference), but got my big ol' van in getting the clearcoat touched up! I don't think we could function on just 2 vehicles!

Thanks again! Great input! Great advise!

Archived