TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alignment Scheduled Today - Do I Need Camber Bolts Or Not!?!?

I'm going on a road trip, so I rotated my tires (2K miles on them) and noticed wear already on the insides up front. I've scheduled an alignment, but I've been reading that my car may not be able to be aligned without new camber bolts. I doubt the shop will have these on hand, so am I wasting my time and money by keeping my appointment?

Did Shelby reuse the stock GT camber bolts when swapping the suspension/lowering the car? Is there any adjustment to add camber back into our factory lowered cars without purchasing new camber bolts?

I have a 2006 Shelby GT-H if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Troy

Will I be able to at least get "closer" with the stock bolts?? I don't have time to order the bolts and wait for delivery unless there is a place I can get them here in Minneapolis today.

:shrug: I'm sure you will at least be able to "even" it out.... the Camber is one thing, toe-in and out is another. If the camber is as far in as you can go and the toe is correct it should be good to go for a while anyway. If I'm correct SAI never checked the factory alignment, they just dropped 'em down. Te factory alignment could have been off. If nuttin' else it will give you peace of mind during the trip.

Yea, the car tracks perfectly down the road and no vibrations at any speed. Turns in corners very well (very sporty). Part of me doesn't want to risk messing it up, but I can't afford new tires every 10K miles with 2K mile rotation intervals. This is a street car.

Yea, the car tracks perfectly down the road and no vibrations at any speed. Turns in corners very well (very sporty). Part of me doesn't want to risk messing it up, but I can't afford new tires every 10K miles with 2K mile rotation intervals. This is a street car.

yep I hear ya! Mine was doing fine, drove it from Pa. to Dearborn and never had a problem.... 15K I decided to buy the American Muscle Razors and with the wider tire in the front it was really pronounced! That's when I decided to do something about it. I'm lucky though because a family friend has a garage right up the street, so we used his lift and did the alignment right away .... for free. Only cost was a home made meal.

That was a bust! I took off early from work, upset my wife, and I still don't have an alignment. A very reputable shop here in town couldn't get my car on the alignment rack. Said it was "too low" and didn't want to risk damaging my car. So much for my appointment and waste of my time!! I told them what car it was on the phone when I made my appointment and was sure to tell them it was LOWERED about an inch from stock Mustang GT. No problem, they said.... I absolutely HATE taking my car into the shop. Incompetence is at an all time high these days, and so are the prices.

Did the GT-H have the full FRPP suspension ? I didn't think it was lowered quite as much so the camber should be able to be adjusted within specs without bolts, but I'm just guessing.

Did the GT-H have the full FRPP suspension ? I didn't think it was lowered quite as much so the camber should be able to be adjusted within specs without bolts, but I'm just guessing.

The 06 had the full FR3 suspension (same as SGT) - the 07 convertibles did not.

That was a bust! I took off early from work, upset my wife, and I still don't have an alignment. A very reputable shop here in town couldn't get my car on the alignment rack. Said it was "too low" and didn't want to risk damaging my car. So much for my appointment and waste of my time!! I told them what car it was on the phone when I made my appointment and was sure to tell them it was LOWERED about an inch from stock Mustang GT. No problem, they said.... I absolutely HATE taking my car into the shop. Incompetence is at an all time high these days, and so are the prices.

I agree whole heartedly! Sorry you had to go thru it. If you lived near me I could help ya out!

So it get's worse...

Took my car to another expert alignment shop (highly recommended). Got the call that my ball joints are shot. When I asked for Ford parts, I was told that the total would be $1410 for the repair! I called BS, and told them to have my car ready for me to pick up ASAP. Who do they think they are trying to rip off?!?!? That's over $1000 labor for what...a 2 hour job??

It's hard to find a trust worthy shop anywhere anymore. That is absolute crap. Ball joints are pretty darn easy on these, that is, if it even needs it. They probably said, "Hey, a Shelby. This guy can afford it....."

So it get's worse...

Took my car to another expert alignment shop (highly recommended). Got the call that my ball joints are shot. When I asked for Ford parts, I was told that the total would be $1410 for the repair! I called BS, and told them to have my car ready for me to pick up ASAP. Who do they think they are trying to rip off?!?!? That's over $1000 labor for what...a 2 hour job??

Crap!

• 4 weeks later...

Tony,

I took my car in for an alignment today and installed the Eibach camber bolts.

Here's my before and after specs, I'm amazed I was able to squeeze 29,000 miles out of my stock BFG KDWS's by rotating them every 3k miles.

MITRESS_Alingnment_zps2ba62c87.jpg

The tech said without the camber bolts there was no way to get the alignment within factory specs. With the wider summer tire on all four corners I really couldn't tell the difference in the handling.

If you purchase the camber bolts directly from the Eibach web store, they're only $30, no shipping or tax, I think it was a good investment.

Good luck with get yours taken care of soon.

Archived