TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boost Regulator

Hi all,

Another question from the SS newbie from down under.... I have had the SS at a Ford custom tuners here in Western Australia over the last few days trying to get the car running correctly. The guy at the shop noticed that there is no Boost regulator solenoid on the car which he found unusual compared the GT500's he's has tuned in the past. My question, is this removed when the SS mods are done?? My car has been changed a little from new with the inclusion of 3.6Kb water cooled blower, and maybe it was removed when that was fitted? Looking at a few photos of engine bays on the forum, I can't see any difference to my bay in that area at all.

In Australia we have 98 octane pump fuel so there has been some changes made to the parameters of the tune, but he seems to think we should have this regulator?? Any info is appreciated.

Trav.

Hi all,

Another question from the SS newbie from down under.... I have had the SS at a Ford custom tuners here in Western Australia over the last few days trying to get the car running correctly. The guy at the shop noticed that there is no Boost regulator solenoid on the car which he found unusual compared the GT500's he's has tuned in the past. My question, is this removed when the SS mods are done?? My car has been changed a little from new with the inclusion of 3.6Kb water cooled blower, and maybe it was removed when that was fitted? Looking at a few photos of engine bays on the forum, I can't see any difference to my bay in that area at all.

In Australia we have 98 octane pump fuel so there has been some changes made to the parameters of the tune, but he seems to think we should have this regulator?? Any info is appreciated.

Trav.

I've never heard of a boost regulator solenoid.

Are you talking about the vacuum controlled bypass valve???

As for your 98 octane fuel: You guys use a different standard for determining octane over there so it is NOT the same as 98 octane in The States. We use the R+M/2 method to determine octane which is the average of Research and Motor octane methods. R=Reasearch, M=Motor. Add the two then divide in half for the average.

So be very careful tuning your car to "98 Octane" and expecting it to get the same results as we get.

Phill

I am not sure to be honest. The vacuum controlled waste gate arrangement is there but he was talking about another solenoid. May be they are removed at Shelby? He showed me one that he had taken off a motor that had come from the US, which is obviously from an older motor. That is an interesting point you have bought up with the fuels. I wonder how I would find out the actual octane level of our fuel? I only use BP in all my cars which is supposed to be the best, you would think the ratings would be the same all over the world??? I suppose that would be too easy.....

Trav.

I have done some digging today and you are 100% correct Phill. Our fuels are rated differently and our 98 is closer to somewhere between 92-95. That does make it difficult tuning the cars especially my Super Snake. I have been to a different guy today and he knows alot more about the American engines and he really seemed to know what he was talking about. Took the car for a drive and straight away picked what I was talking about and it's booked in with him next Wednesday. He has tuned a few Shelby's including KR's and one other Super Snake and has alot of info through SCT. Fingures crossed he will get the my car performing to it's full potential.

Trav.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just an update. The second guy I was recommended is an absolute legend, really new his stuff when it comes to the 5.4 engines and especially the differences from the American to Australian engines. He worked pretty much solid for four days on the car trying to sort out the issues we had. he found all sorts of things done incorrectly, mainly vacuum lines in the wrong spots etc. The car had a really bad stumble from take off and now it is smooth and very easy to drive. He has the car making 689HP at the wheels with 890nm of torque. Are these figures roughly what you guys are getting? I am really happy with the way it drives now, and especially how it goes when you sink the slipper into it!!

Trav.

Archived