TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Something About Those Ford Gt's...

captdave

This is the car made in the last 10 years that really get's to me above all others. When I drive on a beautiful spring to summer day just north of Philly on the road to New Hope I will see all kinds of exotic auto's driving about. A BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and a Shelby ever now and then can be found. I can't remember when was the last time I saw a 2005-06 Ford GT on a public road? Is it just me are they no longer on the regular roads?

14063433632_41cf485a71_c.jpg

14090135883_546b8f1b1a_c.jpg

CaptDave

I too love the Ford GT and hope to have one at some point. It still holds the distinction as the only production car to never lose value and only appreciated from day 1. Of course that makes my dream of owning one that much more difficult....

For those waiting to get a Ford GT there will not (until the economy crashes again, which it will) be a better time than today. They are appreciating in value and I saw another red car sell today (in less than 48 hours) with an asking price of over 220K (I don't know and won't ask what it actually sold for, but it won't be too far off the mark). That is more than I paid for my Heritage a little over 2 years ago...

If I were buying into the "supercar" market now you can't go wrong with a Mclaren MP4 (discontinued for the 650 - either is a great car). Or a P1 if you win powerball...

I look forward to having 6 Ford GT's at the inaugural Carroll Shelby Memorial Classic at the Blackhawk Museum on May 10th. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/84541-carroll-shelby-memorial-classic-blackhawk-museum-saturday-may-10-2014/

I'll post up pictures (and hopefully a vid) following the event. I can't wait to hear the symphonic roar 40 "Powered by Ford" performance vehicles will make during a moment of noise for Carroll.

I've never even actually seen a Ford GT running in front of me live. Saw one of the first ones built when the new line was run, it was at the Ford plant nearby at an open house vent.

The car is more than just a stylish super car with a muscle background in that engine, it is an iconic car with history and there is definitely a respect the car itself demands just by being what it is. There are only a handful of cars that carry the same super muscle, dare I say, and of which consist of the Corvette and the Viper. Problem is, I've seen Corvettes and on the occasion seen a Viper....

This is Pete's #33 2006 Ford GT. He gave me a 40 min ride at NJMP back in 2009. Back then it still had the Ford GT New Car Smell, well...almost. The day before at this event Pete let me know that he was going to take me out the next day for a high speed run at NJMP. I didn't have a correct helmet for the track. This was Saturday evening, I went everywhere trying to find a helmet. That stupid looking helmet cost me $140 I believe. I only used it that one time in my life, at the time I didn't think it was worth it. I guess that was $140 exceedingly well spent.

14058533534_e92648f5e4_c.jpg

Pete posted a video of part of the run, his audio was inop at the time. So just turn the volume down all the way. At least I did this once in my life, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAcj233BtIc

CaptDave

Well.........if all regular Roads are like the ones here...............Those Cars are to low to the ground for street use, Pot Holes, Speed Bumps, Speed Humps, etc.........

They were designed to drive on the street.

The local Ford dealer here drives his to work everyday.

Our friend on TS drove his Heritage from Lake Tahoe to the Bash and back this year. Did the poker run, parked in valet at the Belaggio, etc.

NOBODY has worse roads than California...

Very cool! I mightbhavebto be up there for it. Even though I dont have one I would love to see all these beautiful cars together.

Many people are staying at TheHotel (getting a name change) so you might see them there [mine will be parked in my garage since I'll be living here by then]. I also believe there will be a car show at the same place that Jer has the Shelby one (in the shopping mall by Frys). It is my understanding that the track will be private and only participants allowed inside the gates.

They did lose value during the first 4 years after production. I bought a 2005 vin # 1625 on MSO back in jan 2009 fully loaded ( all four options including a polished supercharger and wheels which the owner did ) for $45K under MSRP . Being 6'5" it was a tight fit and very poor visibility out the rear and sides. The car was meant for weekends only and really drew a crowd . The dealer I bought it from went out of business and The owner used it as a plaything and never sold it. Ford motor credit sold it to me at great price cause they wanted to clear out old inventory.

One funny thing is I sold it mid 2009 put that in a MF with Trowe Price PRMTX and that grew to over $445K today. Got lucky I guess. Sold most of the PRMTX and put that into a fixed account to be safe cause I'm retired now. I wasn't so lucky on a 70 boss back in 2006 cause I lost about $25K on that one .

I miss the days in the 80's when you could buy a 66 GT350 for $10K and drive it and not worry about anything . Keep it for 5 or 10 years and make good money. There were no restroom mods ( restro-mods ) back then . No restamping going on to fool people or fakes to worry about. Just buy what you like and enjoy it.

But then again there were no 662 hp Shelby's to buy back in the 80's either. Times have changed for the better that's for sure when it comes to the current crop of cars.

Hell a new Mustang is faster then a 05 Ford GT just as long as it is a Shelby.

I was on a trip to Boca, FL back in 2008. A Ford dealer had a new White/Blue Ford GT on the floor. I was there looking at the Roush 427 at the time, didn't get one. I looked at the Ford GT on the floor. He couldn't find the keys so I just looked from the outside. He tried to get me interested in the GT, his asking price right off the bat was $155k. I don't have any idea what I would have paid if I was really interested.

I should have bought the damm thing.

CaptDave

The only ones I see around here are modified versions. The guys with stock GT's seem to be more than happy to let them sit in their garage and appreciate in value.

If I remember right this one had a big Whipple blower on it, or maybe it was a Kenne Bell. Either way it was a monster.

DSC00973.jpg

I have a personal favorite Ford GT color, but I'm not telling. My favorite Match Box Car in the 60's was guess which one. No it wasn't the double decker English Bus, but that was a good one too.

gt40%20gulf%2013.jpg

CaptDave

Being 6'5" it was a tight fit and very poor visibility out the rear and sides. The car was meant for weekends only and really drew a crowd .

The Ford GT is a faithful evolution of the original. When asked about the 100% blind spot I reminded the observer of that, and that the original car was meant to go one direction: Forward. At a blindingly fast rate of speed. Blind spots don't matter on a race track. You are perpetually aware of your surroundings, so if someone is beside and slightly behind you you know it because you saw him come up behind you and he is not now in front of you, thus must be in the blind spot.

For the height problem, Dan Gurney (well, actually his pit crew) solved that problem, and the GT Guys will put one in your modern Ford GT for a price. I was going to have one done but when I found that the spare door to do it in was almost 30K I gave up on that idea.

On the other hand, don't try to back up without someone to guide you :)

I know that the new 2013/2014 GT500s are rated at 200+ MPH, but except for the few on the track where the claim was established, noone has been able to reproduce it. Stock car, in a straight line 1/4 mile, I'll give it to the GT500. But on a track I'll take the GT. But equalize the HP (mine is 650RWHP with just a pulley and tune) and bridgestones it'll wup the GT500.

For the post that asks about Cobra reproductions, I have the same weight : HP ratio on my GT as the Cobra. The GT is much more tolerant of that.

The Gulf livery is something that all of old farts remember. Not so much here any more since Gulf is no longer a brand, but it still is in Europe, and they still run the same colors.

A few years ago, Octane, a British magazine, had photos of the Gulf race cars, and included a 2006 Ford GT in the photos. As cool as it was to see the FGT and GT40 in the pack, there is still nothing that compares to the look of the Porsche 917.

I got lucky when I got my Heritage. A friend from Ford (some people here know him) put me in contact with a friend of his who had two GTs and was thinking of selling one. I spoke to the seller in late 2010 but decided we wanted to refinance the house in early 2011 so held off. I'd told my Ford friend I was looking for a Tungsten car but that I drooled over the Heritage. I called the owner in the fall of 2011 and asked if he still had the car for sale, he said yes, we agreed upon a smoking price for what I thought was a low miles (1300) Tungsten car, and then he told me "you know this is your second choice". My jaw dropped.

The trouble I had with the blind spot was on the interstates. You could be cruising along and want to change lanes was the problem. The car next to you would increase speed to get a better look @ your car preventing you from moving over. Backing up forget it and parking in your garage and trying to get out of the car if you were close to the wall. The curve of the door made it almost impossible .

But I did love the car for sure. Regarding the current GT500 yes it is faster in the 1/4 mile but that is it. The Ford GT was not created for that purpose anyway. But to even mention a Mustang in the same article as the Ford GT is remarkable in itself.

A GT500 may be able to get to 60 mph faster, but once aero resistance comes into effect I'm willing to bet the GT would walk away from the GT500. Similar top end, but the GT will reach it more efficiently.

Near Doylestown Pa we have cars and coffee Sat mornings. I have seen 4 GT s there at one time.

There were as many as 6 at a time when c & c was at the south end of Denver a few years ago. Then the moved it near boulder and it's usually two or three max and mikey's spf gt40

There were sure alot of folks giving thumbs up and taking photos of my Tungsten on the Freeway today. A perfect day for a four hour cruise...

Glad to hear you were able to get out and enjoy the Tungsten today Rick, but don't forget about the blue one...lol

Dan

One of my bucket list cars. Alas I don't thnk I will be able to afford one of those.

+1

I know Ford lost money on every one but more than made up for it with the GT500. However, I wish Ford would bring back another halo super car of the GT's caliber to best the Vette and Viper along with the best Europe and Asia have to offer. Maybe a new young Ford CEO will surprise us.

Archived