TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mustang 50Th Anniversary Las Vegas

Vegas Rich

Thanks for posting. It looks like it was a little confusing to find where to go. I did get some reports of long lines with waits for multiple hours and lousy food. Didn't they have the events inside the Speedway?

Looking forward to more video and photos.

:cool:

I had the green w/white top convert 90 LX 5.0 and lost it in the flood 0f 2000 in Minneapolis before moving to Vegas...and always vowed to get another...took awhile, and Shelby 07 DID IT :) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WPuCXT3do

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/inker_photo/media/50.jpg.html?sort=2&o=1

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/inker_photo/media/Tanger.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Thanks for sharing. I did not go to the track on Saturday rather went to the pool at the hotel and just did some R & R since most TS members now had the MORE parking down and I assume MCA staff could direct folks to our (group 2) area since it was now in place.

I think many that didn't get what they paid for are contesting the MCA event with their credit card companies. It is shocking to me that Ron Bramlett/MCA did not know how many goodie bags to have on hand for those who prepaid, how many books, how many banquet and party tickets etc. I attended the 30th, the 35th, 40th, and 45th MCA events, and this 50th, by far was the worst MCA event I have ever attended. Harald's MORE parking and seeing friends was the only great part!

Alex

I think many that didn't get what they paid for are contesting the MCA event with their credit card companies. It is shocking to me that Ron Bramlett/MCA did not know how many goodie bags to have on hand for those who prepaid, how many books, how many banquet and party tickets etc. I attended the 30th, the 35th, 40th, and 45th MCA events, and this 50th, by far was the worst MCA event I have ever attended. Harald's MORE parking and seeing friends was the only great part!

Alex

Alex, I do have to agree about the books, goodie bags, lanyards etc that many did not get even though pre-paid. I know my goodie bag was not complete and they ran out of lanyards. Used my Shelby Bash ones. In addition, this was my first MCA event and it did not meet my expectation considering how far in advance this was promoted. Mandalay Bay did not even have any advertising about the event. Would not have known it was a host hotel for such an event. MORE parking would have gone south had I not arrived early Thursday morning and rattled some cages. All this said, many volunteers did the best they could considering their challenges.

Well I paid for 3 people, stood in line for 3 1/2 hours, name was on first list, but i would have to wait in the problem line, another hour, Got my daughters pass into the speedway, nothing else, they told me I wasn't in the system ,I told her I have all receipts in hand and they she told me sorry, Still got the books as I paid for them at the track, MCA has no chance of ever seeing me at one of there events again, cheers

I get a distinct impression that the organizers really don't know how to deal with events that get hundreds of people. In my previous uniretired day job I went to trade association meetings that were attended by 100-500 people all the time, and 500-1000 on frequent but not regular occasions. The people that organized those really knew how to get people through registration lines.

I know that there were many volunteers who tried their hardest to make things happen, but the complete lack of proper planning and preparedness for something that was in the works for many years was pretty unacceptable. I also paid for two books as they did not show that I pre-paid for one. I had to buy one on site unless I brought proof that I paid for one. Wouldn't the fact that my car was in the book evidence that I most likely also purchased a book? Why would I have my car in a book that I wasn't planning on buying? That was my final straw after the long lines and all the other headaches. There were so many cool things to see, like the original prototype Mustang 1 and II. This event should have been one for the history books, but instead was overshadowed by all the pain everybody had to put up with. There were good times with friends and some really cool stuff. The road racing all went very well (other than the Saturday marathon running on the track which took away a ton of track time for people that paid for it). The road racing did go well and I had a blast instructing some folks which had a great time. After the 45th being such an amazing event in Birmingham, I was hoping the 50th would be epic, but was severely disappointed.

It's NEVER a complete bust when you are with your friends! Yes the MCA Might have slipped up on their end of things.. but the Team Shelby.. Shelby Gala.. and the Event at the Luxor on Saturday night were Excellent! And the WEATHER was GREAT! :) The glass is HALF FULL!

Sorry to say, It's NEVER a bust when you are with your friends!

That's what made it all worth while. Plus the many new friends made. Thanks for the great reminder Art & Bev! Is it time for Bash 2015? It will be the 50th anniversary of the 1965 GT350!

The problem was a 90% volunteer base with less then 1% of direction ... the MCA took the money and ran, which left the attendees and volunteers to deal with the aftermath of a blown event. A huge THANK YOU to all those who donated their time and shame on those who could have and should have made it the event it deserved to be.

I know that there were many volunteers who tried their hardest to make things happen, but the complete lack of proper planning and preparedness for something that was in the works for many years was pretty unacceptable. I also paid for two books as they did not show that I pre-paid for one. I had to buy one on site unless I brought proof that I paid for one. Wouldn't the fact that my car was in the book evidence that I most likely also purchased a book? Why would I have my car in a book that I wasn't planning on buying? That was my final straw after the long lines and all the other headaches. There were so many cool things to see, like the original prototype Mustang 1 and II. This event should have been one for the history books, but instead was overshadowed by all the pain everybody had to put up with. There were good times with friends and some really cool stuff. The road racing all went very well (other than the Saturday marathon running on the track which took away a ton of track time for people that paid for it). The road racing did go well and I had a blast instructing some folks which had a great time. After the 45th being such an amazing event in Birmingham, I was hoping the 50th would be epic, but was severely disappointed.

The 50th was epic Jeff, an EPIC FAILURE!!! :doh:

How anyone associated with putting on the Vegas 50th event can show their face in public is beyond me, I'm not talking about the volunteers, they did the best with what they had. That supposed Birthday Banquet on the Brooklyn Bridge was borderline criminal, charging someone $75 for hot dogs and chicken fingers???? Someone pocketed a lot of money with that baby. I could have saved myself $150 and stood outside the plastic barricade and had the same experience and then went and had a killer dinner.

I feel sorry the most for all the foreigners who traveled thousands of miles. How do you think they feel? :drop:

What MADE the whole event was hanging out with friends, now that was priceless!!

I agree with everyone's comments here about Vegas. It was a complete fiasco. Starting basically before it even started with the ridiculous registration line. Waited in line for 3 hours on wednesday. Was lucky enough that my reg. was there and even got ONE lanyard even though I registered for two people. Then thursday morning the volunteers didn't really know where to send people for the MORE parking. They just pointed and said over there, their kind of parking wherever. Again, that is not the volunteers fault. A big Thank you to Harald for getting there early for our parking. I even heard a guy complaining because, why did the Shelby's get to park right by the garage? This guy was really mad, I don't know if he was in the #1 More parking.

Having everything SO spread out was another issue. NO entertainment or anything to keep people happy out in the parking area. I saw two drinks stands show up in the parking area on the second day. Bathrooms were inside, luckily we were close! Having the goodie bag pickup at the furthest possible point away from the cars. And then the goodie bags weren't complete. I heard there was supposed to be a nice Ford Racing Mustang 50 years decal in the bags as well, of course didn't get it. I was lucky enough to get a goodie bag with pretty much everything including the dvd, which is only about 5 minutes long!

Thank god I didn't bother going to any of the after parties. All the horror stories I've heard, especially the NYNY one. I do think I should have went to the Shelby Gala though.

I do give credit to everyone who volunteered. They did as much as they could with little to no directions at all! And for all the crap I heard they got, everytime I saw a volunteer I always gave them a nice smile and thumbs up. Hopefully that made them feel a little better.

This being my first MCA event, it sure doesn't show me that they know how to run an event of such historical significance. I will probably try to go to the 55th Ann. But we all know it probably won't be anywhere near the West Coast!

I agree with everyone's comments here about Vegas. It was a complete fiasco. Starting basically before it even started with the ridiculous registration line. Waited in line for 3 hours on wednesday. Was lucky enough that my reg. was there and even got ONE lanyard even though I registered for two people. Then thursday morning the volunteers didn't really know where to send people for the MORE parking. They just pointed and said over there, their kind of parking wherever. Again, that is not the volunteers fault. A big Thank you to Harald for getting there early for our parking. I even heard a guy complaining because, why did the Shelby's get to park right by the garage? This guy was really mad, I don't know if he was in the #1 More parking.

Having everything SO spread out was another issue. NO entertainment or anything to keep people happy out in the parking area. I saw two drinks stands show up in the parking area on the second day. Bathrooms were inside, luckily we were close! Having the goodie bag pickup at the furthest possible point away from the cars. And then the goodie bags weren't complete. I heard there was supposed to be a nice Ford Racing Mustang 50 years decal in the bags as well, of course didn't get it. I was lucky enough to get a goodie bag with pretty much everything including the dvd, which is only about 5 minutes long!

Thank god I didn't bother going to any of the after parties. All the horror stories I've heard, especially the NYNY one. I do think I should have went to the Shelby Gala though.

I do give credit to everyone who volunteered. They did as much as they could with little to no directions at all! And for all the crap I heard they got, everytime I saw a volunteer I always gave them a nice smile and thumbs up. Hopefully that made them feel a little better.

This being my first MCA event, it sure doesn't show me that they know how to run an event of such historical significance. I will probably try to go to the 55th Ann. But we all know it probably won't be anywhere near the West Coast!

That club was # 8 so not sure why they expected to park up front when I heard club # 1 was parked some distance away. Again, just another example.

We were really bummed that we couldn't make it this year. Now not nearly so much after reading the comments! We have never been to an MCA event but attended our first Bash last year and certainly plan to attend again. We really enjoyed that event and meeting everyone.

One thing that struck me about the goodie bag deal was that you had to present the card from your packet at the track. They should have handed them out right at the registration check in. That card could have been duplicated locally at a kinkos or someones printer and made multiple copies to hand in at the track. They were'nt numbered or secure. I did not get a goodie bag. They just had me write my address and phone on the card and said they'll send it to me in the mail. Should be interesting.

What a lame event. Opening cerromonies were a joke. I felt sorry for the Ford guy because there wasn.t even a sound system set up so we could hear him. Same goes for Lee Iaccoca. Couldnt hear her tether. They both tryed to speak to the crown and it was called because it was so stupid. Also it seemed like they werew launching jets every 5 minutes. Harrold was handleing the parking. Even thiugh I parked my car 4 or more times we finely got it right. LOL. I expected a bigger presence from Ford. Sure they brought some cars but The 85th Shelby bash where Ford was there in a big way was what I expected.. There wasn't much of a reason to spent $75 a head for this event.

I had the pleasure of waiting in the chow line at the Shelby Gala Friday night with several of the National Directors of the MCA... They were just as mortified by the way things went as the rest of us, but apparently it was a chain of nasty events that really snowballed into the mess it became. The track apparently doubled the price on them at nearly the last minute (which they should have read the contract better prior to that). Ford didn't give as much support as they'd hoped they would after "officially" endorsing it as THE Mustang 50th Birthday Celebration. The cost of everything they wanted to do was more than they expected, because it's Las Vegas and everyone takes their cut of everything -- even the cake was pitifully small because in order to actually get one the size they wanted they were told by multiple caterers it would be ridiculously expensive (like in the 10's of thousands). The stuff for the goodie bags didn't arrive until it was too late to have them ready for registration, and the books were even later.They also didn't get even remotely enough volunteers.

All that being said, I still think they could have done a lot better with information dissemination and organization of the volunteers they DID have. Especially the registration fiascos. Things did get progressively better throughout the week -- I hear the Saturday Night Banquet was actually almost good (we passed on that one in favor of show tickets -- who knew we picked poorly for which night to skip!).

As several others said before, the event was really about the people and the cars, both of which no amount of disorganization could mess up! I'd like to add my thanks to Harald for getting us all organized in what was by far the best parking at the show :worship::clapping:

I hope to see you all at the 8th annual Shelby Bash next year!

The 50th was epic Jeff, an EPIC FAILURE!!! :doh:

How anyone associated with putting on the Vegas 50th event can show their face in public is beyond me, I'm not talking about the volunteers, they did the best with what they had. That supposed Birthday Banquet on the Brooklyn Bridge was borderline criminal, charging someone $75 for hot dogs and chicken fingers???? Someone pocketed a lot of money with that baby. I could have saved myself $150 and stood outside the plastic barricade and had the same experience and then went and had a killer dinner.

I feel sorry the most for all the foreigners who traveled thousands of miles. How do you think they feel? :drop:

What MADE the whole event was hanging out with friends, now that was priceless!!

WOW......you spent $75 for Hotdogs & Chicken Fingers? Here is a Photo of what WE had in Charlotte...........Thanks Steve Saleen.

Steak

Chicken

Green Beans

Mash Potato's

and a HUGE piece of Red Velvet Cake or Cheese Cake

It was all GREAT!

MUSTANG 50th ANNIVERSARY Day Four Banquet 2-19-2014 015.JPG

MUSTANG 50th ANNIVERSARY Day Four Banquet 2-19-2014 009a.jpg

MUSTANG 50th ANNIVERSARY Day Four Banquet 2-19-2014 025a.jpg

Archived