TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Staff

Found this posted over on jalopnik's site, not very revealing but given the dearth of Boss info, thought I would post. Could this be a possible powertrain development mule? Other thoughts?

http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/2010-f...tted-286782.php

Good find, Steve!! that's interesting... every little bit helps. I think "early 1Q'09" is optimistic but, hey, maybe they know something (I was thinking April, but just a hunch). Actual date could have a lot to do with when/what the competition does.

That mule looks to have a front end that's bit more aero (the front lights are cut at a steeper side angle and seem to droop a bit more -- hard to tell) and notice the two dimples in the hood -- could those be covering aircraft-style inlets (like on early 70s Shelbys) in the hood or some other hood variation?

I suspect this refresh will be a new front clip and hood, rear lid and spoiler and chassis accommodations for H/Boss and 3.5 V6 and maybe a couple option additions/changes? ...essentially the changes needed to carry it into the MY'12 (or thereabouts) ground-up remake or the ponycar.

Anyone else see any other changes in the jalopnik link pic ...or anywhere else recently?

<edit:> I did fin this "2010 Boss 429" design exercise over at mustang evolution.. just someone's concept tho.

Dan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That mule looks to have a front end that's bit more aero (the front lights are cut at a steeper side angle and seem to droop a bit more -- hard to tell) and notice the two dimples in the hood -- could those be covering aircraft-style inlets (like on early 70s Shelbys) in the hood or some other hood variation?

What kind of scientific voodoo magic did jalopnik use to pull all of that data out of a simple photograph? The actual build month and release date? Come on...

<edit:> I did fin this "2010 Boss 429" design exercise over at mustang evolution.. just someone's concept tho.

That's disgusting, IMO. I wish people would stop trying to make the new Mustang look like a vette (i.e. Camaro).

IMO, the mustang will retain it's body style, with a few minor cosmetic changes that are no more difficult than bolting on a different front end and grille piece (like any number of aftermarket pieces). And I predict there are deluxe hood turn signals under those dimples.

Agree with CobraFan, that concept is disgusting. The current Mustang is darn near perfect in terms of styling so I hope Ford doesn't screw around with the styling too much and ruin a great thing. Doug Schramm has done some really nice work like the one below, just hope Ford is paying attention - mild tweaks, nothing radical.

post-2621-1186692513_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1186692513_thumb.jpg

Steve, I really like that Schramm 'chop. I don't think we'll see hips on the refresh (maybe MY'12?), but I like the hips and the more-aero front take in his design.

Good thought on the hood-directionals, CobraBoy ... my '68 had 'em ;-)

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Agree with CobraFan, that concept is disgusting. The current Mustang is darn near perfect in terms of styling so I hope Ford doesn't screw around with the styling too much and ruin a great thing. Doug Schramm has done some really nice work like the one below, just hope Ford is paying attention - mild tweaks, nothing radical.

Thats a really nice pic. I agree that ford struck gold with the current mustang model and these little tweaks making it look more futuristic yet, keeping the old school... Priceless =)

I know this may be a little off topic but like... I went to toys r us the other day to grab some bratz dolls for my friend's daughter's b-day. I was walking to them and I started remembering when I used to go there and camp the G.I. Joe section. So, I decided to take a walk for old time's sake. I came across the "coolest" toy I've seen in a long time... Some kid, I would say around 10-11 years old had a R/C car ripping up the floor doing all sorts of turns. I was amused so, I got closer to see the car he had and all the ones on the shelf. Turns out he had a green 67 Mustang with white stripes (looked very real for a toy). I get all excited and at the same time I felt like a big kid. Nothing stopped me, I looked for a box with the same car, got it, rushed to the bratz, got those too, payed it all, went home, and holy shit did I have fun LOL. It comes with some extra tires, "drifting tires"... It was hard as hell to put those in though and it turns out I had more fun with the others cause these drift tires are just unreal.. I couldn't go straight unless I went slow =( Anyways, this bring me to the point... I saw that as foreshadowing the day I get my new BOSS =) Without the slick tires, I wanna have my car in one piece... :dreamy:

:yup::yup::yup:

Some other things that jumped out at me:

-appears to be provisioned with dual injectors/intake port like the Ford GT was

-that make-shift plenum seems very similar to the new BMW M3 V8 -- seems unstreetable, but BMW has eliminated the need for a MAF so no need for cylindrical intake piping for the MAF (according to R&T) nor a hot-film sensor to damage the airflow. BMW matches the plenum volume directly to the max HP design point at full-song. This would seem to be very similar tohow the manracer plenum works tho the M3 is a production/street motor.

-notice the position of the strut tips in the adjustable tower camber-plates... that appear to be set up for a road course -- not what you would expect to see in Roush's grabber-yellow test mule ...yes? :spiteful:

-when Roush first prepped the yellow test mule, the Ford GT motor was converted to wet-sump. This motor is dry sump (big tank on left of pic). Notice also the pump drive (red) on it's own cog belt down there in front. Isn't that a bit odd for an E85 tester? More like a racer! :spiteful:

-it was reported that this H/Boss mule is 427cid -- again, the only logical displacement for E85 testing :hysterical:

-where's the high-voltage ignition wiring? Could this engine be using the experimental tech whereby cylinder pressures from compression alone are used to spontaneously ignite the mixture as soon as Direct Injection delivers the charge? If you look carefully at the dual-injector locations, they seem very small... and the rail plumbing looks industrial strength. Could this be a diesel-like DI E85 engine? Maybe there's a lot more we can't see in that head since spontaneous-ignition DI and port-injectors are mutually exclusive echs.

-Ford would not have left the hood open by accident right in the path of where the press had to go by. They wanted this engine to be seen -- sort of a clever way to telegraph that the H/Boss is real but this is just an experimental truck variant -- could be but doubt it.

My 'radar' will be on at SEMA :spiteful: ;-)

btw, Ford trademarked Boss last year and soonafter Ford media released a corporate brief on plans for an 'engine branding program' (no mention of the word Boss tho). Now the H/Boss truck motor is coming late this-/early next-year... so clearly this is just a high-tech E85 truck motor? But we're testing it with a dry-sump in a GO Roush mustang mule? Hmmmm. ;-)

Dan

Hey Dan - Didn't I read that this engine is a pushrod? Those don't look like OHC heads to me. Don't know why Ford wouldn't continue on with the modular theme. BTW this engine is mentioned in this month's MM&FF.

edit: the MM&F write up said that it was a SOHC w 2v per cylinder. So Ford IS following up with a larger displacement modular design.

Hey Dan - Didn't I read that this engine is a pushrod? Those don't look like OHC heads to me. Don't know why Ford wouldn't continue on with the modular theme. BTW this engine is mentioned in this month's MM&FF.

Cool! is that September issue or???

Hmmm, it sure looks SOHC except for the valve covers -- see how far the head/drive-cover extends past the center of the motor in front... and the location of the intake stacks. A DOHC drive cover would have to be wider at the front for the second cam gear, but SOHC doesn't, imo. The valve-cover bolt pattern is deceptive, tho... makes it look like front cylinder is right up-front, but there's no engine-block up there. It looks like an arrangement similar to the old 427SOHC -- the seeming lack of plugs thru the covers is curious... that's why I was thinking DI. If it is pushrod, the locations of the heads/stacks seems oddly offset.

Mark, is there a pic of the motor in the MM&FF? Anything worth posting a pic of (for fair-use discussion and review purposes only <lol>)? ;)

Is the air supply from the cowl?

...dunno ...seems that way but not from above ...may be using the cowl highpressure as a ram-air of sorts. Another thing you'd not expect on an E85 truck motor :shades:

George/svtbird91, thinks those black-with-white-writing items just ahead of the drivers strut tower are coil-packs.

I saved this pic from that lengthy and cryptic engineering discussion over at BON last winter.. supposedly this is what the combustion chamber will be similar to...

post-4902-1189228068_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1189228068_thumb.jpg

The article also has a picture of the yellow Mustang test mule :happy feet:

There is also an inset picture of the fuel rail and the dual injectors have red stripes at the top. What lb does that equate to with the present injectors.

Dunno.. here's what a 40# short, 48# standard and 60# long look like if that helps any.

post-4902-1189228906_thumb.jpg

FRP injectors look like these (bot of pg), but no red stripes

Btw, that yellow Roush mule (coal-digger) looked like this when originally fitted-up...

post-4902-1189229372_thumb.jpg

Note the coil packs are identical but have moved to the strut-tower, the cowl-intake is the same ,and the dry-sump tank is also identical. Seems pretty clear this is a before and after tester... makes you wonder if the whole E85 thing isn't a red-herring just to show the motor in a don't-tip-your-hand context? :spiteful:

<edit:> just found out on a parts site that red-top FRP injectors are 30# (made by Bosch).

Dan

post-4902-1189228906_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1189229372_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got another fun kill story for y'all. Today I realized first hand where most of the power band is with my tuned 4.6 3V. I was never quite satisfied with low-end torque, and am not willing to lower the rear gear ratio. I mean, it's got juice off the line, but it's not torquey enough down low. But after today, I don't care any more because this baby is a road racer!

I was cruising along, minding my own business in fairly heavy traffic, when a cute chick in a white 350Z came along side. We were doing about 30 in heavy traffic. The Z has some good juice down low. I could keep up if I wanted, but I'd have to rev like a hot rod and I don't like to look like a jerk in traffic. So I let her go in front of me for a while.

About 10 miles down the road, I catch back up when the road clears a bit, and she's doing about 80. The funny thing is always about these imports, they're racy, lurching through the lanes back and forth, quite comical (a lot of bad driving there). We finally get out on an open stretch on the outskirts of Phoenix on west I-10. She's doing about 90. I'm not familiar with the Z's power range but it seems to be out of juice at that speed. I drop down into 4th, and at 4500 rpm this is the peak for my car. In about a half second, I'm along side her, then mash the pedal. In about, I'd say, 2 seconds, I'm doing about 110.

Absolute exhiliaration.... going 90 mph and having GOBS of torque on hand. Holy crap was that a surprise. I'm used to commuter cars and big SUVs for hauling my kids around town in, and I don't drive dangerously or fast, usually. So, the moral of the story, I'm not even sure why I would need whatever new engine Ford is cooking up. Why would I need it? After tuning and a few mods, my car is up in 2000 R territory. ;)

Anyone else have any good Z stories? :) I'm only asking because next to Mustang it's my second favorite sports car.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we can definitely say that the rumored Boss Mustang pics are in fact NOT Boss test mules but a new V6 appearance package. Seems Ford has released some details on these packages which include some dealer installed options. The Pony Package is still available so this is an additional offering.

post-2621-1193539821_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1193539850_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1193539821_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1193539850_thumb.jpg

That's a nice looking package! Plus handling, duals, scoups... I hope it sells gobs of V6s ...so there's more room in model-CAFE for the 'goodies' :)

Some of those pieces might be reuseable for other packages too :spiteful: ...with the 3.5 and maybe a 3.5TT likely coming?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived