TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Special Mustang Marks 50Th Anniversary

twobjshelbys

From the New York international Auto Show:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140415/AUTO0102/304150132#ixzz2z3dJNq9N

Ford Motor Co. today will unveil a limited-edition 50th-anniversary Mustang pony car.

The Mustang 50 Year Limited Edition, modeled on the Mustang GT fastback, will be limited to 1,964 — in honor of the year the car was introduced — and will come with nearly every available option.

“We wanted to provide our most dedicated fans with the emotion of the original Mustang in a 21st-century car,” said Ford executive chairman Bill Ford Jr. in a statement ahead of the reveal at the New York International Auto Show. “With this 50 Year Limited Edition, I believe we have accomplished our goal.”

The car will be available this fall. Ford has not announced pricing.

Ford says the only two available colors will be Wimbledon White, like Mustang serial No. 0001 that was first sold to Capt. Stanley Tucker in April 1964, or Kona Blue. Color, and whether the car comes with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission, are the only two choices customers can make.

There is cashmere stitching on the instrument panel, shifter boot, center armrest, door inserts, seats and on the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The seats will have two-tone cashmere and black leather upholstery, and on the back will feature the Mustang 50 Year logo. Chrome bezels will surround the base of each of the Mustang’s three signature tail lamp blades.

The limited-run Mustang has an upgraded 5-liter V-8 engine that will produces more than 420 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. All will come with the Mustang GT performance package — even the one with automatic transmissions — that includes six-piston front brakes and 19-inch alloy wheels with high performance summer tires.

The car also features a faux gas cap on the rear of the trunk with a 50th anniversary badge.

Wimbledon White Returns!!!

I believe Ford has one of these 50th cars under wraps here at the LVMS, at least thats what I thought I was looking at when it was unloaded yesterday before being covered up. Looked good but I can only imagine the ADM that will be added to it.

Steve

With only 1964 they will be highly sought after, I expect most dealers will sell theirs through eBay. Those thta don't will double the price with ADMs.

I have a Ford insider that I might ask for help. I want to see base pricing first though. And I was looking for a convertible which this won't be.

On second thought I'd be too afraid to drive it.

With only 1964 they will be highly sought after, I expect most dealers will sell theirs through eBay. Those thta don't will double the price with ADMs.

I have a Ford insider that I might ask for help. I want to see base pricing first though. And I was looking for a convertible which this won't be.

On second thought I'd be too afraid to drive it.

Don't quote me but for some reason I want to say $62k or something like that. It was over $50k . If I run into the Ford rep today I'll ask.

Steve

In reality, however, the 2014 Mustang is the only one available on the 50th Anniversary. I can see why Ford did this, however...but its sort of jumping ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I already put a deposit down with the #1 Ford dealer in my state, Who claims they have already been allotted at least one from there Presidents award status, with the remainder of cars not allotted, going to lottery. Who knows if this is all true. I do have right of first refusal (after the owner of the dealership that is). Which raises the next question: How many cars will actually make it to the general public? Approximately 3200 Ford dealers nationwide, 1964 cars to go around.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree. The front end is too "mouthy" -- the lower air intake ducts are exaggerated for no reason and detract from a smoother front end -- the side view shows the Nissan Z car roof line -- the pinched waistline also detracts from a smoother side flank - the rear end...whew - what's up with the Ferrari diffuser? And it looks like they shorted it up from the base of the rear window to the spoiler. At the very least, I'm not tempted to want one.

Check out the 2015 Challenger with the Shaker hood. Dodge understands retro.

Just my 2c.

Archived