TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Crank Bolt Install - Definitive Answers?

UKGT500

Hi, I have been looking for the correct installation directions for the crank balancer bolt:

I have found the sequence and someone on here has kindly directed it to me.

My questions are about:

1) Is it advisable to put Loctite on the threads?

2) Do you put silicone RTV on the bolt and washer?

I can't find the factory suggested or best technique anywhere regarding Loctite or sealant apart from some references to coating the threads to prevent heat transfer (?)

When I took the old bolt off there was so much RTV I had to try and cut and pull the old bolt out. Even when it was completely undone it kept springing back on the sealant!

So I was wondering why the factory put that on there? Looked like it was to keep the bolt/washer and pulley together. I can't imagine it's a seal as there's a seal around the crank snout.

I also don't get this "torque to yield" idea with tightening up, then backing off then tightening up to a lesser degree again. I'm sure I've done jobs like this before and just tightened and loctited the bolts. Must be a reason and I'm sure Ford know more than I do!

Anyways I was supplied with the wrong bolt - way too short - so I put the old one on for one drive yesterday but I have anew one on the way and won't be driving it until the new one is on.

Thanks again!

Malc

I have the Ford instructions in my toolbox (I think!) and I can scan and email it to you if you'd like- just PM me your email address or I can post them here for others who may need them.

Don't overthink this job- it's not a big deal, just as long as you follow the Ford instructions carefully especially the torque sequence with a new bolt and it'll be ok!

Cheers Secondo. Maybe it's worth posting here in case anyone else wants to know? I have been trying all kinds of search terms and I can't find the full Ford procedure for the life of me!

Will PM you as well.

Cheers, Malc

The whole torque to yield thing seems like they are prestretching the fastener for some reason, its not something I have ever come across before.

Same with the 1 time use only rear suspension fasteners, seems unusual.

The instructions would be handy to know, just in case one decides to upgrade to a 10% over lower pulley/dampener.

Also, wonder if the other dampener manufacturers like Innovators West, ATI recommend.

Archived