TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Axel Flange, Chirping Brakes

hunters1

Have chirping brake issue. Have EBC slotted rotors, Hawk pads, stainless lines. Had chirping issue before upgraded brakes. Chirping goes away when brakes are applied. There seems to be many threads on all mustang forums stating that there was a problem with some axel flanges from factory, many years. It also could be rear parking break adjustment issue etc.. Can't find TSB on this. Is there one and I missed it? Some days sounds like coming from drivers side front other days perhaps rear. Any advice? Thanks

Have chirping brake issue. Have EBC slotted rotors, Hawk pads, stainless lines. Had chirping issue before upgraded brakes. Chirping goes away when brakes are applied. There seems to be many threads on all mustang forums stating that there was a problem with some axel flanges from factory, many years. It also could be rear parking break adjustment issue etc.. Can't find TSB on this. Is there one and I missed it? Some days sounds like coming from drivers side front other days perhaps rear. Any advice? Thanks

The chirping sound is more than likely coming from the rear. The rear calipers have metal clips that the brake pads ride on and if one is bent, broken or damaged in some way, it can come in contact with the rotor. This chirping can also occur when you have a cracked rotor or excessive build up of pad material on the face of the rotor.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Will take the rears apart and re-install taking special care to inspect clips etc. It is a Gremlin thing but, can get on ones nerves after a while. The flange thing is still on my mind and I will get that checked as well. Worst case is Moser axels.

Thanks Mark. Will take the rears apart and re-install taking special care to inspect clips etc. It is a Gremlin thing but, can get on ones nerves after a while. The flange thing is still on my mind and I will get that checked as well. Worst case is Moser axels.

Before you go through the trouble of taking the rears apart, get the rear of the car off the ground an spin the tires slowly to see if you can find the contact point. The first time I had this problem, it was on the inside of the drivers side rear caliper. The next time it was on the passengers side, but that one was caused by a cracked rotor. If you do pull the rears apart, go to your local auto parts store and get a rear brake hardware kit which will have the clips. They are cheap, something like $9.00 for all four clips. And I guess I don't have to tell you to check the rotors for cracks or damage, eh?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy this past couple of weeks not to mention we had some RAIN here in florida lately. Will get to it soon and let you know what I find. Thanks for the info. Have a feeling that I did not follow the instructions on the tightening order of caliper bolts, The part about right side upper bolt first etc. I did get torque right But followed no particular order by bolt. I do have the hardware parts on hand and will redue that sequence as well. I may have created some sort of mis alignment/bind by not following fords instruction.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinstalled front and rears. The only area of special note was the pad slidder pins were caked in dirt and probably not doing their job. Every part cleaned and properly greased. Problem solved. Thanks.

Archived