TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I Install The Front Air Dam On My New 2014 Vert?

I cannot count the number of times I have scraped. I just sand the rough bits smooth again. I decided from day 1 it will be a piece I buy each year. I bought one 5 days after I picked up the car and it will go on soon and the next will be in the queue.

Me too. I bought a spare after scraping the original 3 times in the first week I had the car. For $120 I might buy a few more and shove them in the attic. In 10 years they won't make them anymore and I'll sell them on eBay for $500 a piece!!!

we have lots of speed bumps in out e,and i wlaready been hitting the one thar comes with the car--so its staying off illkeep mine for ebay as well---my NOS silver striped seat covers are getting higher since they dont do silver anymore.

I just replaced my 2011 GT500 with a 2014 white, blue stripe GT500 convertible. So as the header states, should I install the front air dam that came with the SVT pkg. with the car; which goes below the front splitter? How much ground clearance is there, when it's installed? Does it hit the ground going up or down a steep hill, speed bumps etc.? When it is installed, does it give the car a better image? How functional is the air dam? Thank you for your advice.

did you have any damage on your 11 spliter?

• 2 weeks later...

Not worth it to me when I know it's going to get scraped up. Looks good on the car, but doesn't necessitate I install it.

Yup- that was my conclusion. I put it on for high speed run events, then back off and buy new clips. They will wear out.

Yup- that was my conclusion. I put it on for high speed run events, then back off and buy new clips. They will wear out.

That's what I did/do too but from the sound of your earlier post, it may be counter productive. Did I read it right that you SLOWED DOWN with it on, vs with it off?

I kept breaking out of my 180 mph tech limit and I needed to slow it down a bit. I had 3 or 4 runs get a big fat DQ but I had my wife taking pics of the time clock because I knew they won't even tell you the speed you broke out at (how stOOpid is THAT?). The 'perfect run' would have been a 179.9 blast if I understand their rules right, or perhaps even 180.0 mph. I got a 175 MPH tech speed with a 5 MPH "fudge factor" so I'm not sure if they'll allow a 180.0 mph run. I *know* they DG a 180.2 MPH run (a fellow Shelby ran a 180.2 and broke out). I tried blipping the throttle one time near the top end but lost almost 12 mph with that failed attempt. I was VERY surprised that I lost 12 MPH with a quick OFF/ON of the go pedal.

If you'll allow me, I'll pick your brain some when I get a little free time on my hands. I think my answer might be, "run the TEXAS Mile" (instead of the CA/Mojave Mile). Or fool the techs into believing my car is a Super Snake and running in the Street Stock Exotic (SSE) Class (no roll bars mandated so as not to ruin the value of a Exotic car).

Sorry for the hijack,

Phill

Hey Warren,

There's a guy asking about running a oval TB on his '14 in another thread. I told him to seek you out because I think I remember you saying you run one on yours. Here's the URL if you can help him out with some *first*hand* info (some others are giving OPINIONS...and we both know how that works):

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/85072-monoblade-tb-anyone-have-one-on-their-2014/

Phill

• 2 years later...

I recently buggered up my valance and splitter. Still very functional but the esthetics not what I prefer. Anyway around $500 to replace both. I looked for an aftermarket that looked the same. Found only one carbon fiber that was a perfect match. $1000 including shipping. Went with factory model. I was surprised the valance was twice as much as the splitter as the plastic pieces are essentially the same width and length. The clearance is a problem but I have not dinged mine in a year aside from the above that was not related to a clearance issue. After awhile you know what will clear and what won't.

You reuse existing bolt fasteners. 8 edge bilter clips are included with good written instructions. The pictures included look like a copy of a copy of copy. One recommendation. Remove the bilter clips first then the bolt fasteners. The bilter clips are small silver push clips that help secure the splitter (the instructions call it an air dam) to the valance that attaches to the bumper. They are pretty easy to spot and toward the front of the splitter. Super easy once you get the front raised enough to work on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

definitely put it on and keep it on, worth the effort. I need 2x4s to get my car up the driveway but im used to it, once you do it a few times you'll be a pro, and itll help if you ever need to get it on a tow truck, HOPEFULLY NEVER.

I got a lot of practice with this on my last car, 11 subaru sti.

couldnt find a mustang meme, but you get the idea

23334237.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old subject, but that box that comes in the trunk with your front splitter is the splitter that you need to put on the car if you want to get up to its maximum miles per hour of 205. You take off the splitter that's all in the car now and you replace it with the one that's in the Box the one that's in the boxes smaller and produces less drag their for a higher mph.

Archived