TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Safe For An Old Guy

Torched10

Ive had prefromace cars for along time, been to driving schools etc,had my Gt5oo vert since 2010.Im looking at a new Gt500vert amd Im wondering if its too squrrely for me.Just turned 69and imi n good health etc--still drag race my STSV couple times a year.But am concerned this beast may be beyond me.Was driving it at about 60 and goose it and rear jumped on me Could you give me your experinecs controlling this beast--is it always on the verge of breaking loose.Plesae no old jokes.AS a back up imlooking at a track pack GT with the Ford chip--its 480HP with 3:73 gearsThanks for any help bob

If you havent done so already, swap out the tires to MPSS or drag radials and that should help a bit with getting squirly. I know this car can bite rather unexpectedly because of the torque.

MPSS= Michelin Pilot Super Sports. My 14 got squirrely at 60 mph with me last fall but I let off and regained control. When you are not expecting that to happen it sure makes you pucker up though. I have no regrets trading my 12 in for the 14 but you just have to get some different tires before you can get the least bit aggressive with the throttle. Good luck!!

thanks again so the MPSS tires make it more controllable?Thats what happend to me on the test drive--even a slow rollfromastop,just got to 3000 rpm in 2nd,and the rear went out--Ive read where folks have lost it in the 60s,i just dont want to have to focus that much like im on Road Atlanta track,which ive done many times.More work than fun--although going down the back stretch at 165 in my wifes Vette was fun

You could get by with the SS in Atlanta all year. I've driven mine in rain down hear with the MPSS and done fine. Over 700hp with mods too. Key is to take it easy in crappy weather as you know. Aside from tires, some simple upgrades to suspension will keep her anchored down better as well. Call BMR Suspension and talk to Kelly. You will not be disappointed and he will listen to your needs before suggesting a new set up.

I'm down in Tampa, Florida actually. But i have family in ATL so i know the weather and you'll be just fine with MPSS tires. I had my tires done at a local shop in Tampa recommended to me by BMR. Haven't had my suspension stuff installed yet but will soon. I have it ordered.

If you're really worried about weather, the Michelin pilot a/s3's are a huge improvement over the stock goodyears. We put them on our 2010 when the super sports weren't available and have no complaints. They stick almost as well as the MPSS's when it's warm (they share much of the same tech and rubber between the two tires) and haven't lost traction yet in the rain (though we had very little rain here this winter)

If you're really worried about weather, the Michelin pilot a/s3's are a huge improvement over the stock goodyears. We put them on our 2010 when the super sports weren't available and have no complaints. They stick almost as well as the MPSS's when it's warm (they share much of the same tech and rubber between the two tires) and haven't lost traction yet in the rain (though we had very little rain here this winter)

Agreed. Can't go wrong with either. HUGE improvement over the Goodyears. And yeah, just get it!!!! One of a kind ride.

Yep, go with the MPSS A/S 3's. I'm going for two track days at Summit Point, WV. in the Spring and that should wipe out my all season Toyo Proxis 4 pluses which I've had on since I got my 13. I too drive during clear cold winter days in Md. and the all seasons are definitely a must for under 50 degrees. The MPSS's are a summer only tire and I'd be leary of them for cold weather usage. I'll be getting the MPSS A/S 3's after my track days are over. I've had an 07 an 11 and now the 13. Age wise, I'm right there with ya and also am in good health. Thoroughly enjoy plumbing the depths of this car's performance. My feeling.....dance while you've still got legs!

I put 2k scary miles on my new '13 GT500's GY F1's. Switched to MPSS's for the last 4k miles. They hook if throttle is reasonable, but at least no more rear coming around!

You will love a Trinity. I'm 70 y/o & having the time of my life!

Well, this thread is timely for me. I just got 2014 race red 2 weeks ago and that squirelly feeling has scared me a few times already. I haven't had a car like this and can't believe you can come loose at 60 70 or 80. It's unreal how this car can put down so much power anywhere. I'm going to get to driving school or track day so I can know these limits a little better. I can't resist playing with the acceleration!

Did Ford just miss that these tires can't hold on, or are they all going to be about the same? My squirrely rear has been about 70 degrees with warm tires too. I'm in Tampa. Who can I trust to do tires?

How does a suspension mod help with this?

Well, this thread is timely for me. I just got 2014 race red 2 weeks ago and that squirelly feeling has scared me a few times already. I haven't had a car like this and can't believe you can come loose at 60 70 or 80. It's unreal how this car can put down so much power anywhere. I'm going to get to driving school or track day so I can know these limits a little better. I can't resist playing with the acceleration!

Did Ford just miss that these tires can't hold on, or are they all going to be about the same? My squirrely rear has been about 70 degrees with warm tires too. I'm in Tampa. Who can I trust to do tires?

How does a suspension mod help with this?

I'm in Tampa as well. Go to Weaver's Tire shop. It's a local place that's been there a long time and knows what they are doing. It was recommended to me by BMR Suspension, a reputable suspension company based out of Tampa.

I'm down in Tampa, Florida actually. But i have family in ATL so i know the weather and you'll be just fine with MPSS tires. I had my tires done at a local shop in Tampa recommended to me by BMR. Haven't had my suspension stuff installed yet but will soon. I have it ordered.

Yes we are lucky with this weather but these tires still are terrible which is in line with most Tampa roads. CRAPOLA

... My feeling.....dance while you've still got legs!

Exactly!!

I'm 68 and haven't driven a fast car (or manual trans) in decades. I decided that I wanted/needed to own something super fast before I was TOO old. I got it and I'm having a great time with it.

I figure the combination of respect for the power, mature common sense, plus a little fear will keep me on the road and out of the ditch.

I'm also feeling lucky to be driving it in Southern California, where cold weather is against the law. :)

Thanks. Who did the install. BTW I live in Sandy springs. If you're anywhere nearly id love to see your car. Bob. Pm me if interested

Bob,

If you're looking for a shop near ATL I'd recommend Injected Engineering in Kennesaw. They're not cheap, but they did a full coil over suspension upgrade on my '08 and I have nothing but good things to say about their work.

I'm also looking to upgrade to a '13/14 model. I have a pretty specific combination in mind & haven't found one local yet. Like you - with my age comes patience, so I'll find the right one.

Enjoy your new ride.

Tim

Bob, I've heard that some people have had good results by going to adjustable lower rear control arms. Some of them are finding that the axle isn't 100% square under the rear of the car and straightening this out can help them get it tracking true. Of course if you're on a crowned road you're going to be skating no matter what.

We have had high performance cars in the past but our new 2012 GT 500 was the first Shelby. We love cruising around and the looks and questions are just a ton of fun. We are 65 and 62 and decided we wanted to get it before we were too far "over the hill". The power is awesome and can bite you in a second. Good sense is the best advice and enjoy your ride!

TIM. I've spent hours looking for a vert. Sandy springs and wade have severall ,but j don't want recaros. there like 69. Verts left mostly black or red. I hate black and have a red 10.vert the blue one I found was the only one left w/o recaros

Hi everyone,

There are a lot of great pointers for another first time Shelby owner...I pick up mine two weeks from today. I've already had the dealer install the MPS A/S3s. Is there setup in the Launch Control system that will help me ease into this beast? I haven't driven a stick in about 10 + years, so I need to get re-aquatinted without looking like a total idiot!

Lewie

Archived