TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Custom Tune On A Stock Engine

Boidster

If any of you have put a pump gas tune into your stock GT500, I'm interested to know what benefits you saw. I've got the resonator delete kit and an Airaid filter, but that's it. No pulley, no TB, nothing cool like that (yet!). Picked up a relatively cheap used X3 tuner, and I'm considering putting a 91 octane tune into the car, if I'd get something out of it.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the VMP tune and pulley package on my former 2011 GT500. For about a 6 weeks I drove it with only the tune until I installed the pulley also. With just the tune, I did notice better drivability, a little increase in power (just guessing but 20-30 hp probably), and an little increase in fuel economy. I took it on a nice 600 mile trip and actually got 25.8 and 26.1 mpg on two of the tanks with only the tune driving 65-70 mph and taking it easy. But the pulley combined with the tune really added to the power. The tune by itself is nice but the pulley really make it worth while.

GT500's come stock with a 91 octane tune in them already. You have to use permiun gas only. You shouldn't use a air rade filter without a tune for it. The car may run lean and bnlow up. This is how the 07-09 models were. Is the X3 unlocked so you can use it on your car?

Pully and tune is lots of fun

Thanks for the info Bill. My car has settled in at 16.8 MPG around town (about 50/50 street vs. freeway; very little stop-and-go traffic, and only the occasional max-performance onramp). I figured I'd get the VMP 3-tune pack and have them put together one "plain" tune and two pulley tunes (91 and 93). I'll drive the plain tune until I get the pulley. Did you run a 2.59 pulley tune with the stock pulley? If that works I don't need to use up one of the three tunes for a "plain" tune. I could go for a 100 octane race tune, or an economy tune or something.

Silly - Thanks for the input. I'm well aware that the car requires premium fuel, but a stock tune isn't the same as a VMP tune, even at the same octane. Especially not if Justin can tune specifically for no-ethanol gas (which is readily available around me). There's no risk of blowing up the engine with an Airaid filter - the '12s already have a CAI installed; the Airaid just replaces the stock paper filter with a no-oil synthetic material. Slightly better airflow, but not nearly enough to peg the MAF and cause an overlean mix. Now, if I get VMP's port-matched elbow and twin TB - then I'm definitely going to need (another) new tune! But first I need a dual-fan HE and some wider rubber.

I think the VMP guys are super busy right now; I asked them this same question a few days ago, but have not heard back. I'll have to try them on the phone. Thanks for the input, guys.

Thanks for the info Bill. My car has settled in at 16.8 MPG around town (about 50/50 street vs. freeway; very little stop-and-go traffic, and only the occasional max-performance onramp). I figured I'd get the VMP 3-tune pack and have them put together one "plain" tune and two pulley tunes (91 and 93). I'll drive the plain tune until I get the pulley. Did you run a 2.59 pulley tune with the stock pulley? If that works I don't need to use up one of the three tunes for a "plain" tune. I could go for a 100 octane race tune, or an economy tune or something.

Silly - Thanks for the input. I'm well aware that the car requires premium fuel, but a stock tune isn't the same as a VMP tune, even at the same octane. Especially not if Justin can tune specifically for no-ethanol gas (which is readily available around me). There's no risk of blowing up the engine with an Airaid filter - the '12s already have a CAI installed; the Airaid just replaces the stock paper filter with a no-oil synthetic material. Slightly better airflow, but not nearly enough to peg the MAF and cause an overlean mix. Now, if I get VMP's port-matched elbow and twin TB - then I'm definitely going to need (another) new tune! But first I need a dual-fan HE and some wider rubber.

I think the VMP guys are super busy right now; I asked them this same question a few days ago, but have not heard back. I'll had to try them on the phone. Thanks for the input, guys.

VMP guys are usually pretty responsive. I dealt with Jason for my tune and pulley and he was helpful when I e-mailed questions. I have 93 octane fuel normally available here so that's the tune I ran. I believe the factory tune is for 91 since that should be good anywhere. People don't believe these cars are capable of decent gas mileage as a daily driver but if you can keep you foot out of the boost and get into 5th and 6th early you can do pretty good. I tracked my 2011 for the last 22K+ miles on this website:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bundlebill/mustang

One thing I noticed on my '11 and also my 2014 is the in-car fuel usage gauge is off a little from the actually usage at the pump. It's usually around 5 to 7% but it's enough to raise your 16.8 to 17.5 or so at times. Next time you fill-up, compare the gauge fuel usage vs the actual amount on the receipt.

GT500's come stock with a 91 octane tune in them already. You have to use permiun gas only. You shouldn't use a air rade filter without a tune for it. The car may run lean and bnlow up. This is how the 07-09 models were. Is the X3 unlocked so you can use it on your car?

Pully and tune is lots of fun

You will be OK running just an AirRaid filter with no tune. Any minute flow increase will be compensated for by the ECM.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a VMP tune and a Lund tune. Both with 2.6 pulley, VMP 67mm TB, resonator delete and airaid air filter. I can tell you hands down that my car drove better and felt stronger with the Lund tune. Talk to Van from Revan Racing. He'll hook you up with Lund. I just installed a ported TVS with all the supporting goodies ($8,000 worth). I'm currently doing a remote tune with Lund and his customer service is awesome and you can tell he knows what he is doing. I send him datalogs and he reply's back with request that he wants me to log. Good luck with your tune.

Archived