TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Current Draw

msb64

Fired up my car for the first time this year, so I figured I would take some readings.

I hooked up a meter and checked on the current draw with the car turned off.

When I first hooked up the battery, the draw was bouncing between 1500mA to 2000mA and I could hear the cd changer motor operating.

After it had settled down in a minute or so, the current draw dropped to a steady 152mA.

A few years ago I changed my map and trunk lights to led ones, so I took a reading on those as well.

With a door open and the 2 map lights on, the draw increased from 152mA up to 244mA.

With the trunk open, the draw went from 152mA to 200mA.

Your typical T10 incandescent bulbs are at least 3 - 5X more power consuming than the led equivalents.

The actual difference depends on the bulbs that you have, and which leds you go with.

For those who are not familiar with milliamps, 1000mA = 1 Amp

So my base reading of 152mA = .0152 Amps, which is a reasonably low drain.

If the cd changer continues to operate though, that is a significant amount and something to be concerned about.

So far I have not had an issue with mine.

Fired up my car for the first time this year, so I figured I would take some readings.

I hooked up a meter and checked on the current draw with the car turned off.

When I first hooked up the battery, the draw was bouncing between 1500mA to 2000mA and I could hear the cd changer motor operating.

After it had settled down in a minute or so, the current draw dropped to a steady 152mA.

A few years ago I changed my map and trunk lights to led ones, so I took a reading on those as well.

With a door open and the 2 map lights on, the draw increased from 152mA up to 244mA.

With the trunk open, the draw went from 152mA to 200mA.

Your typical T10 incandescent bulbs are at least 3 - 5X more power consuming than the led equivalents.

The actual difference depends on the bulbs that you have, and which leds you go with.

For those who are not familiar with milliamps, 1000mA = 1 Amp

So my base reading of 152mA = .0152 Amps, which is a reasonably low drain.

If the cd changer continues to operate though, that is a significant amount and something to be concerned about.

So far I have not had an issue with mine.

Your car will also have a current draw from the vehicle theft system, which is on as long as the battery has a charge.

R

The alarm system load is included in the 152mA base current draw.

Next time I work on it, I will check to see if it climbs any higher when the alarm system is armed.

My CD player works great, zero issues so far.

I also disconnect and remove my battery every winter, as well as disconnect it whenever I work on the cars electrical.

Archived