TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rattle Snake In My Cd Player...

cormy

Mine did the same thing. There is already a thread on this and from what I understand the battery went dead as a result of the CD player. Mine does it when the car was off. I charged my battery and kept hearing something clicking. After a little searching and waiting I found the CD player searching for a disk. From what I understand its pretty well toast now. Search battery died now CD player is broke.

I had a battery die a couple of months ago as well and hadn't noticed anything until last week when we put 1500+ miles on the car on vacation. Every time the radio comes on whether playing a cd, the radio or the aux, I get this sound from the driver's door speaker that sounds like a cheap explosion sound effect.........I think it's beginning to do the same when I shut the car off. Only when the stereo has power does this happen.........

BTW, I can't get anything to come up on that search......anybody got a thread link?

This is worth a try, before going any further.

Eject all of the cds if you can.

Pull the fuse for the radio/cd unit and leave it out over night, to give it time to bleed down all internal power.

When you power it up again, it will probably do the shuffle routine, but that should stop after a minute.

Should also mention that some of the issues may be caused by how the battery is hooked up.

If when you hook up the last connection, and it makes/breaks a few times in rapid succession as you attempt to make the connection, it could create a lockup condition.

A lot of electronic devices does not respond well to power cycling like that.

I know from past experience that a lengthy power down has restored many sat receivers, media players, tvs etc to working condition.

Make sure you give it enough time to bleed down any internal capacitors though, and try to make a quick smooth battery or fuse connection.

I do the same thing myself, I always eject all the cds before putting the car into winter storage.

I have probably disconnected the battery 20+ times or more over the years, and it hasn't caused me any grief.

I also notice that sometimes burned cds can go bad, and cause the player to have a fit trying to read them.

Eject them all if you can, pull the fuse for the radio for several days and give it a shot again.

Beyond that you will need to remove the unit for repair.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a work around.

See thread: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/47355-battery-went-dead-now-cd-play-is-broke/

The Readers Digest version:

1. Unhook battery.

2. Remove radio from dash.

3. Take bottom of radio off and "hinge open".

4. Unplug ribbon wire from main circuit board that goes to the CD player. Leave it be to "hang" loose.

5. Button up radio, reinstall radio, hook up battery and have a beer.

Done.

This "should work" for all Shaker radios, as it did for my Shaker500. Took me about 30 minutes as I was taking my time NOT to scratch anything.

Only downside I see so far is when you "press" the CD button on the face plate after completing this "workaround", the screen will say "CD ERROR".

PM me your phone number if you want to discuss further.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's another chapter in the saga--week before last I noticed the speaker wasn't "growling" at me any more. When I switched the balance and back to front, I realized it wasn't working at all. Last week, it started growling again and the speaker is way down on volume, but still working........

I can't get it in the shop this week because one of my other vehicles is in the body shop for a repaint! I thought he'd be done with it in a few days, but we're on 2+ weeks now!

There is a work around.

See thread: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/47355-battery-went-dead-now-cd-play-is-broke/

The Readers Digest version:

1. Unhook battery.

2. Remove radio from dash.

3. Take bottom of radio off and "hinge open".

4. Unplug ribbon wire from main circuit board that goes to the CD player. Leave it be to "hang" loose.

5. Button up radio, reinstall radio, hook up battery and have a beer.

Done.

This "should work" for all Shaker radios, as it did for my Shaker500. Took me about 30 minutes as I was taking my time NOT to scratch anything.

Only downside I see so far is when you "press" the CD button on the face plate after completing this "workaround", the screen will say "CD ERROR".

PM me your phone number if you want to discuss further.

My battery died last year. Had the same problem with the CD player. I just followed the instructions above. Can't play any CDs now but it stopped the constant error message.

Archived