TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So What Would U Say 5Th Gear,down Shift To Race What Gear?

Geneo4116

I'm 24 and own my 2014 GT500, and it's the SLOWEST performance car I own.

Ah... Nothing like youthful bravado.

For me, 5th to 3rd, should get the job done. ( I don't street race )

A 14 could seem slow, depending on what you're used to. ( was 24 a long time ago )

.........................I'll get the 14 upgraded soon !!

I had an 07 GT500 for almost 5 years before trading up to my 13. Both Convertibles. Only mods on the 07 were a JLT CAI and a tune. The boards i followed on the 07-10 model years always talked about running WOT (wide open throttle), and have many fond memories of mashing my foot into the carpet downshifting from 5th to 3rd at 70mph. Fully controllable, supercharger screaming WOT 3rd gear, to 4th gear, to 5th at about 130 (we have lots of OPEN roads in West Texas).

The 2013 is a WHOLE DIFFERENT animal! It will lose traction, even with the MPSS, Upshifting from 2nd to 3rd at 3/4 throttle. I have about 7000 miles on mile, drive it to work at least 4x a week, been on many road trips 200-600 miles. Not sure i have EVER been WOT. Maybe if the pavement was 100 degrees and i had some drag slicks, but not running a fully stock set up. I've been half sideways a dozen times, feel like i know the cars limits and my own. I agree with the post about selling the car if i die! My wife loved driving the 07, thinks the new one is SCARY fast. My son confessed to taking the 07 out with a buddy while i was in Europe in 09 , said that got nervous at 125mph, and never took it out again. No way i would jepordize my future grandkids and let him try this one!

All that said, i am taking a road trip this weekend to OKC - clear weather and 90 degrees, speed limit 80 on most of the roads. Expect i'll have a few opportunites to downshift (people on the highway always want to hear the snake growl)

Sorry that "Competition" thinks I am ridiculous, but, I'll give him a pass since when I was 24, I thought anybody over 30 was ridiculous. To the point, however, nobody knows their kids like a parent does. My dad was a racer and I grew up around Sprint cars. This was great since his engine builder kept my Boss 302 rebuilt when it blew. (5 times between '71 and '74...) Yes, I had a heavy foot and dad just accepted it.

My kids, on the other hand, grew up around fast cars in the garage i.e. B2, B9, 429 SCJ, 454 Vettes, but for reasons that still escape me to this day never had any interest in cars beyond just transportation. Putting my 35 year old son in a 662 HP Shelby might turn out okay since he is a very responsible and level headed guy, but if he were to jump on the throttle of 662 hp, there is no telling what might happen as I bet he has never even spun his tires before having never had anything but 6 cylinder vehicles. Actually, I think his current Jeep Commander is Hemi but you get the picture.

Sorry that "Competition" thinks I am ridiculous, but, I'll give him a pass since when I was 24, I thought anybody over 30 was ridiculous.

I thought it was pretty funny he stated twice that he is 24. I remember 24.... I was "right" about everything. The older I get, the more I realize I don't know. I might as well admit that I don't know shit and then I will possess true knowledge. :bliss:

I thought it was pretty funny he stated twice that he is 24. I remember 24.... I was "right" about everything. The older I get, the more I realize I don't know. I might as well admit that I don't know shit and then I will possess true knowledge. :bliss:

I stated it to point out that it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with maturity respect and driver skill. Theres 60 year olds out there who don't have a license due to wreckless driving. Saying "this car isn't for anyone under 30" is just a bit narrow minded. Perhaps I read it wrong and maybe he was talking about his kids specifically and not anyone in general.

I keep forgetting, age I guess..., to answer the op question. Personally I would only drop to 3rd. 2nd seems alittle hard on the clutch to me but JMO.

Viper, agreed. I've noticed that guys go through many stages.

13-18 parents are the dumbest people on earth.

18-25 parents somehow getting smarter every day they live.

25-35 you are the smartest person in the room.

35+ you are finally an adult

Maybe I shouldn't generalize so much as everyone is different but it seems like that has been my experince observing others and pretty much fits for me too.

Comp, you took it wrong. Age had nothing to do with my comment. Young people have the best reflexes. Jeff Gordon won the USAC Sprint car champ at 16.

Just talking about my kids. Grew up around fast cars but never took part.

Never enough HP IMHO. Kinda like having 800 watts of clean stereo power. You might go deaf using it all, but it's distortion free all the way to peak. I love my SS and never street race (or track for that matter). I want to live to enjoy her.

There are exceptions in kids and young men,some are very responsible and actually have a brain,but as a general rule I don't think u grow up till your 40 yrs old,and some men never grow up.but until u hold a job,buy a house,have children,u really haven't got it yet,( just my opinion) although on the flip side of that coin I'm 53 I have met 2 young men in my life that had it all together and still do but that is very rare,,my dad always told me anytime u think u can handle something that's when your in trouble, these cars demand respect they are very capable of throwing u anytime u get squirrelly ,I will replace these stock goodyears ASAP, but I still don't think that's a cure all.we all know anytime u want to go sideways u can !!!!!! Bhut that's pretty KOOL I think.

Archived