TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ultimate Detailing & orange peel

Venomizd

Well some of you know I have some orange peel from the factory paint.

I did not feel that taking the car back to Ford would be the best idea.

To have them fix the orange peel may just be asking for more trouble.

Even though it's under warranty I don't trust them to re-clear the car and have it looked like it may have been repainted. Since it new I can't even think about them starting to strip off the clear coat.

I also hear that wet sanding is not the best idea for a new car. Sure it would have looked perfect after a wet sand "orange peel gone for good" but I think I would rather not thin out the clear coat since it's new. In the long run the finish would just fade quicker.

I figured let the pro's take a look at it and see what they can do.

They informed me that after they detail the paint I will still have orange peel but it should not be as noticeable and that’s my best bet for now.

This must be the Ultimate Detailing guy...he taped the whole car covered the engine bay, inside the trunk and the wheels before he even started.

He does a ton of trailer queens so this is just the normal procedure for him.

Does one panel at a time and when it's done it also gets covered in plastic.

I will post pic's after the work is done...keeping my fingers crossed but I think I'm in good hands don't you ?? >>>

UltimateDetailing008-vi.jpg

UltimateDetailing006-vi.jpg

UltimateDetailing005-vi.jpg

UltimateDetailing004-vi.jpg

It does look like you are in good hands. I am sure he knows what he is doing. I can't wait to see it when it's done and your smiling face. Hang in there, I know this must have you a bit worried.

Even though it's under warranty I don't trust them to re-clear the car and have it looked like it may have been repainted. Since it new I can't even think about them starting to strip off the clear coat.

I also hear that wet sanding is not the best idea for a new car. Sure it would have looked perfect after a wet sand "orange peel gone for good" but I think I would rather not thin out the clear coat since it's new. In the long run the finish would just fade quicker.

They informed me that after they detail the paint I will still have orange peel but it should not be as noticeable and that’s my best bet for now.

This must be the Ultimate Detailing guy...he taped the whole car covered the engine bay, inside the trunk and the wheels before he even started.

I will post pic's after the work is done...keeping my fingers crossed but I think I'm in good hands don't you ?? >>>

Ven, as we discussed today, you are in good hands............sorry, the BEST hands!!! I've seen his work.........he's good!!

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but might i ask just what orange peel is... :banghead:

Orange Peel is when you look at a paint job real close (sometimes not even close) it has a "texture" to the finish. A real show quality paint job is mirror smooth. No ripples or texture at all. Hence the name orange peel, it has the same basic finish as an orange.

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but might i ask just what orange peel is... :banghead:

It's "roughness" in the paint...like looking at the skin of an orange...small undulating soft bumps. Difficult to see in photos...must look at light reflecting off the paint to see it.

They informed me that after they detail the paint I will still have orange peel but it should not be as noticeable and that's my best bet for now.

Wow Venomized I don't know where you found this guy but I can tell from the masking and protection that he is a perfectionist. Too bad he is so far away from me, I could keep him busy for a while. Good Luck- Post pics

I hope you dont plan on changing the letter on the trunk or remove emblems, it will show where it has not been clear coated. I have a good friend that owns a body shop and says the proper way to paint is to remove everything. I know it might be a little more costly, but I think it is the best way IMO.

I hope you dont plan on changing the letter on the trunk or remove emblems, it will show where it has not been clear coated. I have a good friend that owns a body shop and says the proper way to paint is to remove everything. I know it might be a little more costly, but I think it is the best way IMO.

He's not repainting. He's just getting the car detailed. It's masked so the compound doesn't get slung everywhere when he's buffing it.

My Bad :banghead: I guess it has been a long week and should be more careful reading :finger:. Thats awesome he takes that much time taping off! I know what a pain it is getting compound from those places. Your car is going turn out great!

Well got the car back and there is a big improvement...my car should have been delivered this way but that’s another story.

There is still some orange peel however it's not as noticeable and all the small imperfection are gone...well except for the ones on top of my head :hysterical2:

shelbymeet017-vi.jpg

shelbymeet020-vi.jpg

shelbymeet021-vi.jpg

shelbymeet023-vi.jpg

shelbymeet024-vi.jpg

shelbymeet026-vi.jpg

shelbymeet029-vi.jpg

wow...looks great. How much does an insane detail like that cost?

Yes I would be interested in the cost and how long does he need the car to do this? Is he in Toronto? I am 3 hours away in the US but might consider a run up to have him do mine. Looks great. I don't have orange peel but would like to have it finished once like that.

I forgot to let everyone Know the final product that was used was the Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.

I was using zanio on my 99 black Cobra for years but this stuff is really getting my attention. Been reading alot on the Meguiars NXT Tech Wax and seems like most people with dark colour cars swear by it.

The work was done in Toronto and if you’re interested in his phone number shoot me a PM. He most likely does not give pricing over the phone as he likes to see the car before he prices the job. Told me pricing is different for every car depending on the condition of the finish and customers needs.

Nice job - your Shelby looks GREAT!! I had always heard that some "orange peel" in the paint was normal for factory paint and that a good way to tell if a car has been wrecked/refinished was to look for the panels w/o orange peel :shrug:

Grabber - you'd better stay away from that guy...by the time he gets through your "orange peel" - you won't have any color left on your ride :hysterical2:

Archived