TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Issues Statement On John Luft

Jer

SHELBY AMERICAN ISSUES STATEMENT ON JOHN LUFT

GARDENA, Calif. – April 2, 2014 - Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI.PK) and has issued a statement concerning John Luft, president of Shelby American:

Joe Conway, CEO of Shelby American and Co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International has been reengineering the company to improve efficiencies and productivity over the past year. He is a seasoned executive in management, sales, marketing and operations, as well as the nephew of Carroll Shelby. Conway guided the company’s move to the new consolidated facility in Las Vegas, realigned business units, optimized the workforce and revamped the management team.

Today, the transition is complete. The initial goals for improvements in quality, production time and product selection are well into place. A streamlined executive team that reports directly to Mr. Conway is now responsible for all daily operations.

Per plan, John Luft, president of Shelby American, was given the opportunity to return home in Southern California to serve as executive vice president of marketing and branding for Carroll Shelby International. His role was to include input on Shelby American product planning.

Instead, Mr. Luft’s intent is to consult on media relations for CSI and new product offerings for Shelby American. As a genuine automotive enthusiast, his passion for the Shelby brand and expertise will benefit all of the organizations within Carroll Shelby International.

About Shelby American, Inc.

Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. Shelby American offers the Shelby 1000, GT500 Super Snake, GT and GTS post-title packages for the 2005-2014 Ford Mustang, as well as the 2013-2014 Shelby Focus ST and 2012-2014 Ford Raptor. For more info, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

This sounds like a more positive move than some were speculating earlier.

Yes... and it's why we discourage speculation!

:)

Jer

I never speculated. All I want to do is go to the bash and check out the new place!

I must'a missed a thread or two because I didn't see ANYONE speculating, or any speculation.

But now that it's been brought up, isn't this the same kind of thing SA said about Roger Sorel and Robert Lane before their final parting of the ways? That they were in some kind of "associate (PR or Consulting) role" with Shelby American?

Phill

Is there going to be a senior executive for SA LV reporting to Conway or will the existing EVP's who reported to Luft become a direct report?

Existing execs report to Joe Conway directly.

Jer

I must'a missed a thread or two because I didn't see ANYONE speculating, or any speculation.

But now that it's been brought up, isn't this the same kind of thing SA said about Roger Sorel and Robert Lane before their final parting of the ways? That they were in some kind of "associate (PR or Consulting) role" with Shelby American?

Phill

*I* did, and not just posted, but in my PMs, emails, and phone calls.

THIS situation has nothing to do with the others. There's no similarity, connection, or relation.

It is what it is, nothing more to see here! LOL

Jer

It is what it is, nothing more to see here! LOL

Jer

LOL...MOVE ALONG! <snicker>

Phill

THIS situation has nothing to do with the others. There's no similarity, connection, or relation.

Jer

No no, I wasn't suggesting that at all. I'm only asking if the other twos departure was handled in the same way. Well, at least the part about it being reported that they (Roger & Robert) also made a "lateral move" into some type of associate position, like 'consulting' (Roger). I think Robert Lane was supposed to be in a associate position of some sort too but quite honestly, not worth my time to try and search out the "official" announcement of either leaving SA.

NO speculation on my part, just morbid curiosity...Like passing a auto accident (train wreck?) and having to look! ;)

BTW, if you think there's a bunch of speculation going on HERE.....You ought'a hear what's being speculate in public! Now THAT, I have heard.

Phill

*I* did, and not just posted, but in my PMs, emails, and phone calls.

Jer

SMH...Well, all I can say is, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!"

Phill ;)

So what are the metrics we use to measure the new management team?

They've all been in place for awhile now. Jer has done a terrific job as far as I'm concerned. I can't say for any others, just no exposure to them.

Phill

So what are the metrics we use to measure the new management team?

There is no new Management Team - As Phill has said above, there is just a more direct line of reporting.

Jer

I have not had any real dealings with Jer, however, he is but one of the SA LV VP's who now report to Conway! I find it interesting that with all the recent changes (i.e., move to new facility and management reorganization) that Conway took all the credit. You kinda have to wonder what Luft's role was during all this change? I do have a observation, SA/SAI is at a very interesting place in its evolution? They have had a tendency to look in the past at the legacy of their founder, cars built 45+ years ago and a recent foray with Ford in resurrecting cars from its heyday years (GT 350/500, KR and SS). They have a nice backlog of work and the recent introduction of the wide body mods is challenging them to keep up, however, that's the past and the question is what is the future and I am guessing that is the crux of the recent management change. I think we all want SA/SAI to be successful, however, they need a bold vision for the future that clearly articulates a strategy for moving forward. It has to be achievable and something the TS members can buy into and support because we will be the ones to buy these future products. When you go to the Heritage Center, you need to see more than the past, you need to see a future. It is the future that this new management team will be measured against!

Well Jonfullin, not to be a smart a@#, but it is called the Heritage Center. So we should be seeing stuff from the past. Even yesterdays products are considered the recent past. I am sure SAI would not have made this move just to have the company fall on its face! Like I nentioned before, as long as they are using Shelby's playbook, they are doing exactly what Mr. Shelby would be doing if he were alive today. I have faith in SAI! Yeah, less than 2 weeks to check out the new mother ship!

"Mr. Luft’s intent is to consult on media relations for CSI and new product offerings for Shelby American"

So COOL............................. in order to "Consult" he needs to Drive and Test the Cars and Parts. After all, you must be able to back up what you say.......RIGHT? :spiteful:

:peelout:

They have a nice backlog of work and the recent introduction of the wide body mods is challenging them to keep up, however, that's the past and the question is what is the future and I am guessing that is the crux of the recent management change. I think we all want SA/SAI to be successful, however, they need a bold vision for the future that clearly articulates a strategy for moving forward. It has to be achievable and something the TS members can buy into and support because we will be the ones to buy these future products. When you go to the Heritage Center, you need to see more than the past, you need to see a future. It is the future that this new management team will be measured against!

I can assure you, we all want to carry on with Carroll's legacy - you're absolutely right to say we dwell on our past, any smart person would… it's something we're VERY proud of!

We are also very proud of our present work with the Widebody, Raptor, Focus, and are extremely proud of the new facility - it's designed to be the springboard we use to go FORWARD while not forsaking our roots.

What's "FORWARD"? What's the future? More great partnership with Ford, who have shown great enthusiasm for our continued relationship, and we are blessed to have what I consider to be the world's premier automaker as a dedicated partner. We will continue to build cars that celebrate our unique DNA and maverick spirit. We will produce great parts and accessories and treat our customers to the best experience possible. We will NOT slow down. We will NOT live on past successes. We will NOT rest on our laurels. Keith, Gary, Gary, and I are all very passionate Shelby enthusiasts ourselves, and we feel the weight of responsibility to ensure the brand not only endures, but GROWS! We're dedicated to making BETTER cars, delivering them FASTER, and putting lots of smiles on the faces of all Shelby's supporters. And frowns on all the others who have to stare at our taillights.

We don't traditionally celebrate or display "the future". We don't tease with concept cars, or "leak" spy photos, etc. We're busy working hard to DELIVER. We ABSOLUTELY DO have "a bold vision for the future that clearly articulates a strategy for moving forward." Couldn't have said it better myself! We just don't waste time jabbering about it, there's work to be done! The future of Shelby has always been one unveiling away, and we prefer to come out with a "bang", not a leaky faucet. The day we unveiled the Shelby Raptor, the Sales Department phone lines blew up, and it has proven to be one of our most popular products. We live in the now, and we're too busy working on Carroll's favorite car right now to pay lip service to dreams and marketing schemes. You DO remember what Carroll's favorite Shelby was, right? "The next one".

As always, I am HAPPY to speak to anyone about anything, I have long established my record of transparency. Pick up the phone, send an email, stop by and ask for me - reach out any way you'd like. Thank you, above all, for CARING about Shelby. This forum often raises strong comments from customers, but I recognize that as passion. The last thing I want is for everyone to just go play golf and not care about us, these forums will be quiet and calm, and we won't have anyone calling us out, but we also won't have anyone to build really really fast and amazing cars for.

I say we go build some really really fast and amazing cars. Sound good?

Jer

Jer,

For those of us who have been around long term, it is fair for us to want to wait and see a bit. Just a few too many twists and turns since Amy left for all that is being represented to be accepted at face value. We all want the future to be good in every respect; on that we are united. I'm looking forward to attending the 50th and see the new digs.

Jim

Jer,

For those of us who have been around long term, it is fair for us to want to wait and see a bit. Just a few too many twists and turns since Amy left for all that is being represented to be accepted at face value. We all want the future to be good in every respect; on that we are united. I'm looking forward to attending the 50th and see the new digs.

Jim

Jim,

As one of those people myself, I totally understand. And I know how crazy it seemed from the sidelines. Fair enough, and I look forward to everyone getting a chance to see the new HQ, it is a strong statement to our commitment. Be sure to grab me, so we get a chance to chat.

Jer

Well said, Jer. I would think that every member on here is passionate about their cars and the future of Shelby. Looking forward to seeing the new facility. We visited the last location by the speedway in January of last year. Too bad the wall with all our signatures had to be torn down! Will there be another wall like that at the new place?

I'm confused by peoples concerns above. The guys who have been running things are still running things. The management team running the business in LV is the same. As stated above in the release, it was part of the plan for John to return to CA. The new facility is amazing with huge money spent on it being so. Yes there have been many twists and turns but all to make things better, be more efficient, and more responsive. Have any of the changes been negative? Parts production and shipping is worlds better than it was with Jer's leadership. The store is a whole new game from before. Cars are being completed much more quickly with production humming along. I see a company who is becoming a leaner, meaner machine. There is more emphasis being placed on Team Shelby to be closer to the customer and enthusiast. All the twist and turns that I have seen have made this company a much better place. Absolutely no question that Amy helped build SAI, John helped move it along to where it is today and Mr. Conway (Shelby family), and team, are ready to take it into the future. I'd say things are firing on all cylinders!

I agree, I just don't see the hoopla here. The official statement came after it had been leaked, so I know that was a factor.

But, if you are familiar with corporate strategies, you can easily see there is a progression and long term plan in motion. For those not familiar with corporate business models- think of it as a military unit. During war, you NEED a wartime general, and during peace, you need more of a diplomat. Amy had a style, that while highly effective, could never endure a long term model. Coupled with a crippling recession, John Luft was that kind of leader needed to streamline the model, and refocus the business. Considering the financial stability of SA, the expansion and streamline of the production, and the addition of many new build platforms, I think the job he pulled off speaks for itself. But like the release states- he did what he was brought in to do, and now he is doing for Shelby what he spent years doing behind the scenes before he was needed for that role. Don't let Car and Driver make this more than it is- remember, they think the camaro is a better car than the gt500 after they showed it get beat in every performance category they tracked. The day to day operations have been run by your VPs, and will continue to be run by them. Not a single thing changes with them reporting to Joe instead of John.

He still works for Shelby. He just doesn't have to fly to Vegas every week now.

Archived