TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Raptors As A Tow Vehicle

I have a 2013 Raptor (not Shelbyized) and am about to do some towing of my cars this summer. I have a Trailex enclosed that weighs 1800 lbs. empty, which I plan to put 2500 to 3500 lb. cars in. That total is well within the Raptor's specs, and the dealers of the trailer and the Raptor tell me no problems, nothing else needed to tow. Other people, who have 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, tell me I will need all manner of add-ons, like some kind of bags under the rear suspension, anti-sway bars, etc. Anyone out there using a Raptor to tow this kind of rig? Thanks.

I have a 2013 Raptor (not Shelbyized) and am about to do some towing of my cars this summer. I have a Trailex enclosed that weighs 1800 lbs. empty, which I plan to put 2500 to 3500 lb. cars in. That total is well within the Raptor's specs, and the dealers of the trailer and the Raptor tell me no problems, nothing else needed to tow. Other people, who have 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, tell me I will need all manner of add-ons, like some kind of bags under the rear suspension, anti-sway bars, etc. Anyone out there using a Raptor to tow this kind of rig? Thanks.

I have towed many trailers with my 2010 super cab and my 2012 super crew,all enclosed with 2 or more ATVs with no problems at all.

The Raptors rear suspension will drop down somewhat with the tongue weight but will stop at the bump stops installed with the factory rear suspension,

It is a little noticeable but not an issue other than a little firmer at the rear of the truck,plus it is a little lower in height compared to regular ride height.

I did try to seek out air bags to maintain a level ride height while towing about a year ago but there wasn't a kit available for the Raptor at the time.

The 'standard' F-150 has a towing capacity of 11,800 lbs and a F-150 Raptor has a little over 8,000 lbs capacity.

You're nowhere close to that with your load so i wouldn't be at all worried about it.

Phill

There is a company called SVC that is now making an adjustable air bump stop/frame strengthening kit for the Raptor.

Couple this with HD National or Deaver rear springs and the sag and risk of the axle hitting the frame is eliminated.

www.svc.com

Shelby also has a rear kit for the Raptor, but not adjustable.

As for the capacity the way it sits with your proposed load, what Phil and supersnake said.

Nice choice on the Trailex trailer.

This is on my wish list.

Archived