TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saac 39 - Road America Check In

ITHERTZ66

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on attending two days - driving 2008 SGT convertible on the 15th and Midstates Cobra replica another day.

I must say that, unless I'm missing some threads on this forum, I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of interest in this event. As a current Team Shelby member and a former SAAC member, I understand that this is primarily a late-model group but we should remember that without the cars built in the 1960's by Shelby there would be no Shelby American today and very little to seperate us from Saleen or Roush mustangs.

While I'm not a huge fan of SAAC's management, I am sure that anyone attending SAAC 39 will have a spectacular time. SAAC 22 was also at Road America and it was great. Road America is probably the finest track in the US and has great food, atmosphere, and uncrowded viewing. The SAAC event is also being held in conjunction will the spring vintage car races which are very worthwhile in their own right.

It surprises me that there aren't groups coming from all over to attend!

Brad

I wish I could. RA is definitely one of the best tracks in NA. Family first... and that leaves me with little time to do things for myself right now.

We will be there,

Wednesday for a drive to Shelby parts & bob Perkins .

Thursday,all day at the track & the evening car show by the lake .

GOD Bless

Jim & Judy

post-35543-0-51323600-1398438386_thumb.jpg

I'm curious who here is planning to attend the SAAC convention in May. I'm attending with my 06 Hertz. I'm registered for the Thursday evening cruise, the Saturday show and parade laps on Friday. Anybody else?

I missed the 50th entirely and still disgusted but I'm trying very hard to attend with my 08 GT/SC as its at one of my favorite race tracks. I'm shocked Indy Racing League don't race here anymore its one of U.S. best tracks

I'm planning on attending two days - driving 2008 SGT convertible on the 15th and Midstates Cobra replica another day.

I must say that, unless I'm missing some threads on this forum, I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of interest in this event. As a current Team Shelby member and a former SAAC member, I understand that this is primarily a late-model group but we should remember that without the cars built in the 1960's by Shelby there would be no Shelby American today and very little to seperate us from Saleen or Roush mustangs.

While I'm not a huge fan of SAAC's management, I am sure that anyone attending SAAC 39 will have a spectacular time. SAAC 22 was also at Road America and it was great. Road America is probably the finest track in the US and has great food, atmosphere, and uncrowded viewing. The SAAC event is also being held in conjunction will the spring vintage car races which are very worthwhile in their own right.

It surprises me that there aren't groups coming from all over to attend!

Brad

You mentioned the exact word 'SAAC Management' as most of them are great guys but a few and I'm sure I don't have to name names as I been in the arguments with them FACT is they are extremely rude to the late model Shelby people. They don't realize that many belong to both and I got tired of the 'real Shelby's are the 65-70' and when the late model Shelby guys come to the conventions they are not treated very well so who wants to be part of that

I am a member of SAAC. I've never owned my own vintage Shelby, but I did have a clone '65 GT350. Even with my sacrilegious clone, i've always felt welcome by the SAAC club and many of the members have been very helpful in answering questions and such on the forum - even if I don't own a vintage Shelby. I don't feel any "hate" or ill feelings from the club now that I have a late model Shelby either. I plan to attend the convention, and I intend to have a great time. I don't anticipate any difficulty getting along with the higher ups because I choose to participate with my 06 Hertz.

I'm not a "member" of SAAC, but there are some local guys who are and have always wanted me to join with my '09. If I could go to this event, you bet your ass I would be there. Every SAAC guy I have met has been nothing but accommodating and welcoming. Not once have I ever experienced a negative opinion about my Shelby in comparison to the 65-70 cars. In fact, it has been the exact opposite.

Sadly we can't make it out there this year, even as spectators -- RA is a great track. Just not enough vacation time to do everything.

We're members of the NorCal SAAC chapter (not directly members of SAAC) and late model Shelbys are happily encouraged to join in all the fun. I have seen some disdainment of late-model Shelbys at past national SAAC events (prior to even owning a Shelby myself), but it seems to stem from a very small subset of individuals who obviously never actually talked to Carroll. His opinion about what made a "real" Shelby was quite clear. I wouldn't judge the organization by that -- they put on some stellar events (unlike the MCA, apparently :whistling: ) at great locations.

I plan on attending and doing the Bob Perkins open house on Thursday afternoon.

Bob's open house times are 8:00am-late on Wednesday May 14 and 8:00am-12:00pm on Thursday. Just a heads up for the times.

I'll be there on Saturday in my Fusion company car.

The few Chicago SAAC folks I've met are nice and there was even a 'joint' TS/SAAC event last year May that was very fun.

The national SAAC folks do appear to have a deep dislike for the modern Shelby's.

I witnessed this first handily a few months ago when I posted a question (on the SAAC site) inquiring about a 'judged' class for modern Shelbys at SAAC 39.

The negative responses went on for 3 pages before the post was cancelled (Footnote: a simple 'no' would have been fine).

However they want to run their club is up to them. There are many successful organizations around that had no forward thinking; People Express Airlines, Pan Am, Wang, Kodak, Yugo America......

As a SAAC Regional Rep and a TS member, I find the events for both clubs fantastic, the cars exciting and all the people friendly. SAAAC was founded and is dedicated to the

preservation and history of the original SAI factory cars that initiated the CS vehicle legend, but is open to all years. The car shows and track time is for every Ford powered

Shelby vehicle and Series 1. Popular vote cars come from all years. Only the highly judged concourse division is for the cars from 1962-1970. These have much more stringent and costly demands as to originality and restoration. 39 years of continuous annual conventions all around the country is a testament to SAACs organizational skills. The thousands of hours of volunteer time for each event is overwhelming. If you have ever coordinated or volunteered for a multi-day car show event with such a variety of offerings for the

attendees, you know what I mean.

TS Bash part is also outstanding as are many other Shelby focused events during the year. I have enjoyed all that I have been able to attend over the past27 years and continue to look forward to getting to more.

Well put 66GT350PS. I wish people would stop bad mouthing other clubs. If you don't like or agree with them, simply don't support them. That includes taking advantage of their volunteers and planning base and attending their events. Without the clubs, there would be NO CAR SHOWS. We have a problem here in my local area of people who will leave certain clubs because their feathers get ruffled and then go on to bad mouth people. Problem is, they still want to take advantage of all the events in the area but don't want to put any work in, and would rather just complain....

Ill be heading up Fri and Sat live about 1.5 hours from track in Waukesha WI. Excellent drive up on Hwy 67 through Plymouth, Driving the 07 SGT on Fri and my 67 GT 350 on Sat, might change that though and drive my 87 GLHS up Sat original owner low miles. Im a member of SAAC also and I think the new cars will be welcome see you all at track!!!!

Unfortunately, there are no garages to be had at the track. I hope that there are a few tents to avoid the weather, rain or shine. So no usual SAAC/TS Aloha Garage to pass out

the mac nuts from the "We Is Nuts" from Hawaii group. However, we will have a Hula Cart (golf cart with the obligatory hula dancer on the hood). Flag us down! I will be the old, well fed guy with the white mustache. Don't mix me up with the SAAC head boompa who usually wears "aloha" shirts even in 40-50 degree weather. If it is still that chilly when I get to Elkhart Lake next week, you can be sure the real Hawaii group will be bundled looking like they are in sub zero weather!

Bob's open house times are 8:00am-late on Wednesday May 14 and 8:00am-12:00pm on Thursday. Just a heads up for the times.

If you can please meet up at Bob's at 9:00am on Thursday.

I'll be there on Saturday in my Fusion company car.

The few Chicago SAAC folks I've met are nice and there was even a 'joint' TS/SAAC event last year May that was very fun.

The national SAAC folks do appear to have a deep dislike for the modern Shelby's.

I witnessed this first handily a few months ago when I posted a question (on the SAAC site) inquiring about a 'judged' class for modern Shelbys at SAAC 39.

The negative responses went on for 3 pages before the post was cancelled (Footnote: a simple 'no' would have been fine).

However they want to run their club is up to them. There are many successful organizations around that had no forward thinking; People Express Airlines, Pan Am, Wang, Kodak, Yugo America......

Here at the SAAC convention and despite the weather, I cant be happier that I came. I have spoke with SAAC national leadership and have found the people I have spoke with are fantastic people and want TS and SAAC to work together to promote the brand and the man.

Archived