TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tow Hooks For The Track?

mshrake

I have been searching for weeks now, looking for a front and rear tow hook. So far I cannot find anything that does not require cutting holes in the bumper.

Are people just not taking GT500's to the track?

I am very concerned that if something happens, the guys towing my car back might hook up to something not intended to hold the weight, and might cause damage.

What have others done?

I have been searching for weeks now, looking for a front and rear tow hook. So far I cannot find anything that does not require cutting holes in the bumper.

Are people just not taking GT500's to the track?

I am very concerned that if something happens, the guys towing my car back might hook up to something not intended to hold the weight, and might cause damage.

What have others done?

GT500’s are all over the track.

You pretty much have to drill and cut something to make one work.

Here’s how I did mine for the front.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/74687-ford-fan-tow-hook-kit-installed/?p=1293594

I am more concerned about the car being disabled for some reason, and needing a flat tow.

I have a 2002 Mustang that we race, and at least once a year I need a flat tow for some reason.

Cutting into the bumper to install a tow hook is a too extreme for me at this point. The car still has less than 500 miles on it...

I was hoping for some sort of bolt on solution that does not require surgery to the bumper or bumper cover.

I am more concerned about the car being disabled for some reason, and needing a flat tow.

I have a 2002 Mustang that we race, and at least once a year I need a flat tow for some reason.

Cutting into the bumper to install a tow hook is a too extreme for me at this point. The car still has less than 500 miles on it...

I was hoping for some sort of bolt on solution that does not require surgery to the bumper or bumper cover.

That does not exist as far as I know. Sure would have been nice for Ford to include it.

I found these, and confirmed with them that it would require no permanant modifications to the car:

https://www.blowfishracing.com/tow-hooks/12-2007-2014-mustang-gt500forced-induction-front-tow-hook-kit.html

Ordered it tonight, so should get it/have it installed before the next track dat here in Phoenix.

Sounds like I will have to remove the bumper cover to install it, but everything should go back together ok around it.

I will take many pictures of the instalation and post afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had time to complete the installation. I was not very confident removing the front bumper cover, but using common sense and youtube, it was not that hard.

Competed install pic:

13829132483_739a89d3b7_z.jpg

I will add more picture of the install process later today.

VERY happy with the result!

Remove Plastic cover over radiator. 8 Plastic push pins and it comes right off:

13829495955_b2cabba3ee_z.jpg

Remove a bunch of 7mm screws and 2 philips screws to remove the lower air dam:

13829494675_30f88efddd_z.jpg

Remove bumper cover:

13829501115_53712ca38d_z.jpg

Remove bumper padding:

13829853294_cab602e291_z.jpg

Install tow hook bracket. It simply wraps around the bumper and bolts on. No permanant modifications needed:

13829498155_64e0b7987e_z.jpg

Install the tow hook. It can move forward and backwards to taste:

13829528893_426ab4e934_z.jpg

Put it all back together (making sure to remember to reattach side marker lights and fog lights BEFORE you reinstall the air dam...) and admire your work:

13829855534_a9ab654a83_z.jpg

Remove Plastic cover over radiator. 8 Plastic push pins and it comes right off:

13829495955_b2cabba3ee_z.jpg

Remove a bunch of 7mm screws and 2 philips screws to remove the lower air dam:

13829494675_30f88efddd_z.jpg

Remove bumper cover:

13829501115_53712ca38d_z.jpg

Remove bumper padding:

13829853294_cab602e291_z.jpg

Install tow hook bracket. It simply wraps around the bumper and bolts on. No permanant modifications needed:

13829498155_64e0b7987e_z.jpg

Install the tow hook. It can move forward and backwards to taste:

13829528893_426ab4e934_z.jpg

Put it all back together (making sure to remember to reattach side marker lights and fog lights BEFORE you reinstall the air dam...) and admire your work:

13829855534_a9ab654a83_z.jpg

That kit is a VERY nice solution. I was unaware of it's existence, thanks for the info.

It mentions built in supports for the front splitter. Where would those attach? And is there still room for the bumper foam? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I just installed this tow hook and was able to squeeze the foam cover back onto the bumper crash beam and over the tow hook bracket. The bumper cover fit back on just fine.

I know blowfish racing is about to come out with their next gen version of this product, so for any who take on this install themselves, I'm 95% certain you can remove the entire bumper cover and splitter together, without removing the splitter assembly. The instructions from blowfish racing say to remove splitters first. Taking the splitter assembly off of the bumper is not so bad, but putting it back on is very difficult.

Looking up at the bottom of the splitter, you'll see a total of 12 hex screws near the front - 3 attached to each side wing and 6 holding the center piece in place. Leave these in and remove the four hex screws located at the back of splitter. Next, remove the three screws along the front inner edge of the wheel wells. Then remove the screws/pins at the top of the bumper cover and attempt to pull it off per the instructions provided by blowfish racing (away from the car, not up or down). If it feels stuck at the bottom, then I'm wrong and you'll have to remove the other screws. In this case, I would recommend using tape to secure the splitter to the bumper cover so it doesn't fall off when the hex screws are removed. It will save you a good 30-60 minutes.

Install sucked, but happy with the product. Steve at Blowfish racing was very helpful.

• 2 months later...

I just installed this tow hook and was able to squeeze the foam cover back onto the bumper crash beam and over the tow hook bracket. The bumper cover fit back on just fine.

I know blowfish racing is about to come out with their next gen version of this product, so for any who take on this install themselves, I'm 95% certain you can remove the entire bumper cover and splitter together, without removing the splitter assembly. The instructions from blowfish racing say to remove splitters first. Taking the splitter assembly off of the bumper is not so bad, but putting it back on is very difficult.

Looking up at the bottom of the splitter, you'll see a total of 12 hex screws near the front - 3 attached to each side wing and 6 holding the center piece in place. Leave these in and remove the four hex screws located at the back of splitter. Next, remove the three screws along the front inner edge of the wheel wells. Then remove the screws/pins at the top of the bumper cover and attempt to pull it off per the instructions provided by blowfish racing (away from the car, not up or down). If it feels stuck at the bottom, then I'm wrong and you'll have to remove the other screws. In this case, I would recommend using tape to secure the splitter to the bumper cover so it doesn't fall off when the hex screws are removed. It will save you a good 30-60 minutes.

Install sucked, but happy with the product. Steve at Blowfish racing was very helpful.

Got the next generation version installed yesterday. The only thing I had to cut or drill into was the aftermarket mesh insert I installed to protect the bottom cooler. Also, we had to loosen the bumper itself because of my SS cooler that SAI installed. That that tough but was still a pain to get to all those fasteners. The bumper cover came off pretty easy, while leaving the splitter attached to the bottom. The instructions from Blowfish were not that comprehensive; my guess is the product designer also wrote the instructions, leaving out a few details that were probably a no-brainer to him. Overall, pretty easy and so far I am very satisfied with how it came out.

Archived