TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'09 Gt500 Clutch Dilemma-Need Advice!

jshrop6004

Ask for a refund and put in a trouble free RXT. I drive mine in Atlanta traffic and still takes everything this VMP TVS Gen 2 can throw at it.

Have you tracked your car? I have heard of guys having problems with your clutch as well on track. Going to research this a bit and see what I come up with. The RXT might be a solution...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not as it's a convertible and many of the open track events aren't big fans of convertibles without roll bars running track days. That being said the RXT is probably the most common clutch installed into the GT500's and I have never heard of people having issues with the McLeod RXT's on track duty.

Talked with a few guys running GT500's on track and the most common clutch being used without any trouble is..... wait for it..... A stock Ford clutch from a 2013/2014 GT500. Who would have thought... so I have one coming. Ace was kind enough to refund my money and we'll start over with a new setup.

Yes... Stock blower will be the only supercharger on this car unless it craps out. I'm looking forward to getting the car back on the road/track soon.

I was fortunate, as well. I was right on the cusp of extended warranty being expired, clutch started slipping, took it to dealer with all my maintenance and warranty and TSB info. $100 and a new "2010" clutch went in. Completely changed the character of the car. Light, easy to use, never-stall, so much better than the original. About a month ago, the slave cylinder died. Was supposed to be covered under the extended warranty I purchased after original ran out. Nope, sorry about your luck, $1100. I fussed at the dealer, salesman who sold me warranty is long gone, he told me "everything" was covered. About a week later got a check for the slave cylinder replacement, less my deductible.......

Only problem is that the car is MUCH harder to get into reverse than it was before the slave cylinder replacement....

Good luck!

I was fortunate, as well. I was right on the cusp of extended warranty being expired, clutch started slipping, took it to dealer with all my maintenance and warranty and TSB info. $100 and a new "2010" clutch went in. Completely changed the character of the car. Light, easy to use, never-stall, so much better than the original. About a month ago, the slave cylinder died. Was supposed to be covered under the extended warranty I purchased after original ran out. Nope, sorry about your luck, $1100. I fussed at the dealer, salesman who sold me warranty is long gone, he told me "everything" was covered. About a week later got a check for the slave cylinder replacement, less my deductible.......

Only problem is that the car is MUCH harder to get into reverse than it was before the slave cylinder replacement....

Good luck!

Hmmmm.... we think the main reason the Ace clutch failed was due to the shims. My car was having trouble going into reverse and the car was also "walking" when going into either first or reverse. If you are experiencing the same, take it back to the shop ASAP.

After researching the limited options to use an aluminum flywheel with the stock 2013/14 clutch, we decided to go with the McLeod RXT setup with aluminum flywheel. Hopefully no more issues after all said and done. I'm tired of working this problem and just want to go drive the car again!

Very interested in knowing your opinion on the RXT clutch after your installation.

I'll let you know after proper break in and a full track day soon thereafter.

Thats great that they provided you with a refund. My second ACE clutch is still in my car but it is on the way out. Going into 1st and reverse is becoming difficult and I experienced some slippage last week. This clutch has less than 6000 miles on it. My mechanic also thinks the shims are the problem with it's design. This clutch seemed so awesome theory but not really sure what to say at this point. The characteristics of your clutches destruction were similar to the first unit that was in my car. It was sent back to them and they claimed to not be able to find anything wrong with the clutch but they had it rebuilt and set back to me. My mechanic contacted them again in regards to the current issues but they want it pulled out and inspected before any further action is taken. I guess in my case let's see what happens........

I feel the need to chime in here.

One of the last things I did before I left Shelby was to come up with a clutch program for our owners who were desperately looking for a solution. I did that, in partnership with Vince LaViolette, and the Shelby Performance Parts clutch program got started.

Unfortunately, I was not with the company to see it roll out the way it should have. And it breaks my heart to see it go through these issues.

Here is my advice: ACE clutches were not the "magic bullet". Cale Aronson (my dear friend and the clutch expert who designed it with me) IS. He was closely tied to ACE then, but is not any longer.

To anyone who needs help, or wants to experience what we REALLY intended for you: http://www.blackmagicclutches.com

Buy your Shelby clutch from Cale, he will give it the full Quality Assurance tests we intended, and will set it up to work miracles in your car.

I feel the need to chime in here.

One of the last things I did before I left Shelby was to come up with a clutch program for our owners who were desperately looking for a solution. I did that, in partnership with Vince LaViolette, and the Shelby Performance Parts clutch program got started.

Unfortunately, I was not with the company to see it roll out the way it should have. And it breaks my heart to see it go through these issues.

Here is my advice: ACE clutches were not the "magic bullet". Cale Aronson (my dear friend and the clutch expert who designed it with me) IS. He was closely tied to ACE then, but is not any longer.

To anyone who needs help, or wants to experience what we REALLY intended for you: http://www.blackmagicclutches.com

Buy your Shelby clutch from Cale, he will give it the full Quality Assurance tests we intended, and will set it up to work miracles in your car.

Jer! Hope you are well.

Yeah..... this has become a proper ball ache, but ACE has made amends to the best of their ability. You helped me get most of the upgrades on my car and I appreciate it. The only failure has been this clutch which occurred after you left. So I guess that is not all bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again. ViperNC so how's the new clutch treating you? I ended up going with a SPEC Ptrim twin disc unit. It has been great!!!! About a month ago Ace "said" I was going to be refunded but in all honesty I feel like they are giving me the runaround. I spoke with Erik earlier this week and he told me that I would have it by the end of this past week and as of today I do not. The drama continues.....

Eirk turned out to be a standup guy for me. I did get my refund although it took a while. I think they know they have a problem. I went with the McLeod RXT and the car is enjoyable to drive again. Glad you are happy as well.

Oh ok cool. Erik does seem like a stand up guy. I just have never been in a situation where the refund takes over a month to process. Your statement of it taking it while makes me feel better. Yes they definitely are aware of the problem. My mechanic and I have discussed in detail the problem with ACE. Glad your car is also working as it should.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I have joined the growing list of owners who were victims of poor clutch design and slightly enthusiastic driving. Left California 7 days ago with a my 08 GT500 and friend in his 65 fastback and before reaching LA from Sacto I felt a weird feeling on acceleration which I wrongly wrote off as wheel hop. Needless to say I went to pass a big rig in Arizona and as soon as the boost came on the clutch started to slip. We carefully continued on our cross country adventure and made it to North Carolina but it just sucks to drive a car you love and not be able to throttle up on the highway or do a burnout in Talladega.( 65 did a nice 1 wheel smokey burn out thru 2 gears ) I read everything I could thru my cheap phone and ordered a Mcleod RST (up to 800 HP)clutch assembly with essentials and it goes in tomorrow but will miss open track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Oh well, live and learn.

27 minutes ago, 08GT5004ME said:

Well I have joined the growing list of owners who were victims of poor clutch design and slightly enthusiastic driving. Left California 7 days ago with a my 08 GT500 and friend in his 65 fastback and before reaching LA from Sacto I felt a weird feeling on acceleration which I wrongly wrote off as wheel hop. Needless to say I went to pass a big rig in Arizona and as soon as the boost came on the clutch started to slip. We carefully continued on our cross country adventure and made it to North Carolina but it just sucks to drive a car you love and not be able to throttle up on the highway or do a burnout in Talladega.( 65 did a nice 1 wheel smokey burn out thru 2 gears ) I read everything I could thru my cheap phone and ordered a Mcleod RST (up to 800 HP)clutch assembly with essentials and it goes in tomorrow but will miss open track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Oh well, live and learn.

Was this the original clutch that went bad & if so how many miles did you get before it went? 

Archived