TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitto 555R?

ABDULITY

hey guys,i really wanna change the stock Eagle F1 tires since they dont provide enough traction,i've heard some good reviews about the Nitto 555R? what do u guys think? i only want it for cruising and street racing and i rarely travel and if i do its a 2 hour drive i'd be going about 80 mph.

Would you guys recommend it for my style of driving or are there better tires?

I just installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports today and love em already. A lot of guys run em on our cars. Great for daily driving and the occasional street or track race. Might be perfect for you. I don't know as much about the Nitto 555R but i'm sure they're an improvement over the Goodyears.

At the time I bought my Shelby GT the Nittos were the cats meow. Now there are other choices. To a one, all of them will give you great traction on colder (not cold) surfaces with a shorter warm up period (almost zero above the 50* that the Ford factory tires claim). However, you will trade a 30000 mile tire for one that gets about 5000. On the Ford GT the generally recommended tire is a Bridgestone (fronts from the Porsche, rears from the Ferrari F40, but equivalent composition). I've got about 3500 miles on them and they will not go to 6000 before they are the wear bars. We'll see how they do in Vegas.

For the record lots of track folks think that the Ford/Goodyear factory tires are equal or better than some of the higher ones ON THE TRACK, but only after they've had some warmup laps.

The new generation ones on the 2013/2014 GT500 get good reviews. Before that they are hockey pucks.

I just installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports today and love em already. A lot of guys run em on our cars. Great for daily driving and the occasional street or track race. Might be perfect for you. I don't know as much about the Nitto 555R but i'm sure they're an improvement over the Goodyears.

I'm about to pop for a set of Pilot SS's too. What size/s did you end up going with? I'm thinking of a 285/35 on the rear and a 255 or 265(?) 40 series on the front.

What should I expect to pay for a set and where is a good place to buy them?

Thanks,

Phill

Phill,

I went with 295/35 in back and 275/40 up front. Wider than is recommended but i like a wider tire for a number of reasons. You could definitely go a step thinner and be just fine. Also went with the (105y) ferrari option which has a little more tread. Tires and shipping to my door totaled 1500 and a few cents. Ordered from the Tire Rack website. Two day standard delivery. Took to a local reliable shop for install at 90 bucks.

Phill,

I went with 295/35 in back and 275/40 up front. Wider than is recommended but i like a wider tire for a number of reasons. You could definitely go a step thinner and be just fine. Also went with the (105y) ferrari option which has a little more tread. Tires and shipping to my door totaled 1500 and a few cents. Ordered from the Tire Rack website. Two day standard delivery. Took to a local reliable shop for install at 90 bucks.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Is that with 20" wheels or 19" wheels?

I forgot to mention that I want these for my Super Snake style Alcoa wheels. I'd love to put 295's on it but I thought you have to cut the stops off and eliminate the shock covers. True or false?

Thanks again,

Phill

I forgot to mention that I want these for my Super Snake style Alcoa wheels. I'd love to put 295's on it but I thought you have to cut the stops off and eliminate the shock covers. True or false?

Thanks again,

Phill

That's with the stock wheels. 20 in back and 19 up front. And i'm not sure about the Alcoas. Hope someone else can answer that for ya.

I have 305 nitto 555R's on my 20x11 wheels on my 2014 GT500. I bolted them right on with no issues. No cutting or hammering anything. They work pretty good. The car will hook mid way through second gear now. I think I'm going to go with the NT05R next however, I borrowed a set from a friend and the car hooked a lot better on them from a dead launch.

I have 305 nitto 555R's on my 20x11 wheels on my 2014 GT500. I bolted them right on with no issues. No cutting or hammering anything. They work pretty good. The car will hook mid way through second gear now. I think I'm going to go with the NT05R next however, I borrowed a set from a friend and the car hooked a lot better on them from a dead launch.

Thanks man i might just go with that size.

Okay, so I started honestly looking for a set of new tires for my (in storage for years) Shelby Alcoa 20" Dura-bright Super Snake (style) wheels.

I'll start off by saying I am *totally* "Tire Illiterate". I worked on the mechanical end of cars, not much on tires other than OE replacement tires.

While looking on-line, I see that Tire Rack and Discount Tire are both priced *exactly* the same, to the penny. Their sites look eerily similar too, almost like they are one and the same company!

Are they?

Another thing i found is, my local Ford dealer says they will BEAT anybody else's price, retroactive for one month after purchase (Mike Rowe said so too, on TV!). So, if I buy a set from my Ford dealer then find a cheaper price somewhere else within one month, they will refund me money. They didn't say how *much* they beat the competitors by, just that they would BEAT (not MATCH) them. Good deal, I trust them more than I trust any of the tire shops in town (that isn't saying much!).

So who has the CHEAPEST prices on tires out there? Tire Rack/Discount Tire has the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 295/35/ZR20 (105Y "Ferrari") for $416 ea (WWW price). It appears NO ONE has a 295 in a 40 series but I think I see a 40 in 305 and 285....What's up with that???

I am real tempted to go with 255's on the front because A; that's what the factory put on and B; they are *considerably* less expensive than 265's or 275's.

Which brings up another question; Will 275's fit the 9" front wheels without TOO MUCH sidewall bulge?

I'm a straight line kind'a guy, can't turn for beans so I'm not *too* concerned with creating a little more push by going bigger in back/same in front. I don't want to run drag race type 'skinny's' up front but you get the idea.

TIA,

Phill

Another thing i found is, my local Ford dealer says they will BEAT anybody else's price, retroactive for one month after purchase (Mike Rowe said so too, on TV!). So, if I buy a set from my Ford dealer then find a cheaper price somewhere else within one month, they will refund me money. They didn't say how *much* they beat the competitors by, just that they would BEAT (not MATCH) them. Good deal, I trust them more than I trust any of the tire shops in town (that isn't saying much!).

I can't speak as much to the rest since a lot of tire size comes down to personal preference, though I also suspect there's some link between Discount Tire and Tire Rack (maybe DT is the retail arm, since I know they have actual stores..) However, I'd make sure to see what the Ford dealer is using to mount and balance the tires, especially for a set of durabright Alcoa's... If they're using anything involving levers (and many if not most dealers do) don't trust them with the wheels. Find a shop that has a tire mounting machine that ensures no metal comes in contact with the wheels during the mounting process, otherwise there's a good chance they'll muck up the finish. The ratings on the tire rack installers list could help point to a good one.

Thanks again,

Phill

I'm running Nitto Invo 295/35-20ZR on the back on stock PP wheels. No issues and great traction compared to the stock GY with close to 700WHP. I plan to switch to MT drag radials since the car is no longer my daily driver and the colder temps are gone for this year here...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running Michelin AS/3.No comparison between these and the GY's.They were the only thing I didnt like about my car.I want a tire that allows me to enjoy my car most of the year and these do that.

I purchased from "Discount Tire" and was very pleased with the price and service. They sell nothing but tires and have quality equipment that wont screw up your wheels. I wish they did motorcycle tires. They dont last for shit(6500mi) and have had some fails at the mounting store.

• 1 month later...

If raising the car with the suspension unloaded ( springs decompressed ), you will run into problems with the tire/wheel contacting the bump stop. With the suspension loaded, you won't run into any issues. Just keep that in mind.

Archived