TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vandalism Issues?

dbryn74

Good morning all, I'm days away from my first mustang purchase - 2014 GT500. Living in Canada, I'd only be driving the car for 4 months of the year, and was curious if I should have any concerns parking the car at our 'Park and Ride' lot, so I can jump on a commuter train into work each day. Have you ever had someone vandalize/pry off emblems, etc... while parked at shopping malls or public parking lots?

Dave

Good morning Dave......welcome to Team Shelby!

I lived in Oakville a few years ago for two years and as far as theft in our area, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Now....as far as driving and parking a '14 GT 500 in the "GO train?" Lot...... I would definitely NOT do that! Too nice of a car for that.

JMHO.

BeeBee

There is always the possibility that somebody can or will always target your car.

I'm not sure where you are in Canada,and I see you are a new TS member,so welcome to a great family!!!!

I live in Kelowna BC and feel that if you have a car like this you buy it to drive it,so there is always a risk of it getting damaged wherever it is or goes!

I have had people comment and love my car and also have had people in Walmart parking lot leave a half empty pop cup on my hood,and somebody else at a Canadian Tire use a felt pen to leave remarks on my windshield,so go figure!!!!

My point is use it for what you are buying it for,otherwise go buy a Fiat 500!!!! Lol!

First off welcome to the forums.... there is a wealth of info to be found here....

as for your question... as was already stated we own a piece of automotive history that most people will respect and a few others will disrespect. Whether it's out of shear jealousy or stupidity, I will never know the answer to. Some people think because we have these cars we are rich and can afford to have the damage fixed with little disruption to our wallets. It's a curse! I always tell people that give me that kind of mindset that "I don't have money, but I have damn good credit!"

Good luck with you car and enjoy it as long as you can!

We drive ours everywhere and have yet to have a problem. Have even parked it at the parking lot for our commuter train with no issues (though to be fair, we're in a permitted section of the lot and it's regularly patroled, which makes me feel a little better about it when we do that). Just be careful not to park next to people who obviously don't care for their own car's condition (and wouldn't even blink at banging their door/etc into your car) and you should be OK. Enjoy the new ride! As others have said (including Carroll himself) they're meant to be driven!

Good morning all, I'm days away from my first mustang purchase - 2014 GT500. Living in Canada, I'd only be driving the car for 4 months of the year, and was curious if I should have any concerns parking the car at our 'Park and Ride' lot, so I can jump on a commuter train into work each day. Have you ever had someone vandalize/pry off emblems, etc... while parked at shopping malls or public parking lots?

Dave

Don't park it. Pop in ZZ Top and drive it to work. Problem is , you might just keep on driving.

Put some miles on it.

I couldn't agree more,most people do respect the cars,but that still doesn't mean that you won't get some idiot having a jealous moment!

I did park my car once a long way from a store entrance and parked across 2 spaces at an angle,but some moron still decide to leave a sarcastic message on my windshield in felt pen!

This world is full of all kinds of folks....some that make sport of damaging others' "stuff" ...some that respect others' stuff , some that don't even notice your '14 Shelby sitting there (for all they're concerned it could be THAT Fiat 500) sitting there....

You need to make this decision on your own. Only you know what is appropriate for your 'hood.

I would definitely never park my 500 anywhere when it's out of my sight, nonetheless for an all day period. Just MHO

With the crate motor for one of these cars costing $30K I would hesitate to park it in the same place day after day. Especially when they know you won't be back until after work.

jmho

I waited all my life to get my Shelby. The car is never out of my sight for more that a couple of minutes if I make a quick stop at a store or to gas up. If there is no isolated parking with no other cars around, I simply do not stop. I will come back later with my truck if need be. I don't even let it sit outside my house for long if I am not outside as well. It stays in the garage.

I would not leave it in a "Park and Ride" lot under any circumstances. After living and commuting in the WDC area for more that 14 years, I have first hand knowledge of the theft and vandalism that takes place in these kinds of lots. It is unbelievable what some of the animals out there will do. I wouldn't even put a Fiat 500 in the lot. I would go for something like a 10 or 12 year old Impala with lots of miles and dents for the job.

I'd be more concerned about the unintentional but always present "parking lot damage" - door dings from flying doors, side scrapes from someone who can't turn, someone backing into your bumper, etc. I hate parking lots and never leave my car unattended if at all possible. I used to park it at work where the rest of the people parked their higher end cars, but then someone decided they needed to park right next to me anyway (even though the convention in this are was every other spot... No problem except I couldn't get my door open so I started parking diagonally in two spots so I could open the door. Sigh...

Have you ever driven across the SF Bay Bridge in rush hour traffic? Definitely NOT faster than the train, and never going to happen in the Shelby. Ever. Driving in downtown San Francisco is suicide for nice cars, let alone parking there.

I had my 03 Terminator keyed, was a great excuse to put a new paint job on it but it also reminded me these are just cars. I drive it, race it, break it, repair it, repaint it... then I sell it and get a new one. Biggest mistake I ever made was when I could finally afford to buy my first "expensive" Mustang and I let it sit in the garage for 10 years. I regret THAT far more than having 03 vandalized. People are going to hate no matter what you do. I don't go out of my way looking for trouble, but if it comes my way I just deal. On that note, I got a rock chip in my window this morning and I was PISSED!! ;)

Chances are something will happen. People generally don't care about others property, especially in commuter parking lots. Door dings, scratches and scuffs are common. I had a car cover stolen once from an airport parking lot. They cut the cable and stole it. If you can afford it, buy a beater and enjoy your Shelby on the weekends.

Welcome to TS. Well before I bought my 14 GT500 last March I waited 19 years to replace my stolen 92 LX 5.0 Hatchback with only 18,000KM. Basically two weeks after the return of my honeymoon October 94 I left my LX 5.0 un-attended for the first time ever parked on a street close by to a wedding reception hall(ironically the same one I got married at), went back out after the diner(+/- 3hrs later) and she was gone! My heart dropped, it felt like I lost a member of my family. So now based on that horrific experience I never ever ever leave my 14 GT500 out of sight. To the point where last summer I was out with my wife and kids, couldn't find a parking in front of the restaurant we wanted to have diner at, I drove off, picked up take-out elsewhere and had diner at home. My kids think I'm a freak, not my wife though, she felt the pain I felt back in 94. Thought I could share my experience. Good luck and be safe!

We can speculate all day about what might happen, but can you live with the regret if something does happen, and you could have avoided it? I wouldn't park it, as others have said, drive it, enjoy it! Don't sentence the car to a life of door dings from other commuters who are late and don't give two iota's about a persons valued ride.

Welcome to TS. I didn't know they had Shelby's in Canada. Every time I go there all I ever see are compact cars and Mercedes trucks. Seriously Though from my experice parking lots are a very personal and local issue. At San Diego Airport parking I had my GT dinged twice in 2 years to the turne of $1000 so I guit parking there. I found a new airport lot, wide spaces, security etc. When I got my GT500 I enjoyed the 27 mile commute each way and the car was safe and secure with my old GT cover over it. Now the lot has been closed and those parkers were moved to a new lot. Parking spots are smaller and believe it or not somebody thought it was proper to take the car cover off and in 4 days it was a mess with dirt (nearby construction) and sprinkler overspray. So I'm back to driving my 96 F150 to the airport. Darn shame because I enjoyed the drive there. Oh well I guess Ill just have to do road trips to Palm Springs on the weekends. Whaaa. I just love driving my Shelby!

I see and hear all the opinions here and totally understand! It is sad that we all have to consider the highs and lows of driving our beloved cars( no matter what make or model) However they are to be used one way or the other no matter what,or why do we own them if we are too paranoid about taking them out of the garage,then you have to wonder !!!!

I moved mine down to Arizona to try and use mine more than I do at my hometown,I just gotta use it more or what's the point!!!!

Don't do it!! The pain on the back end isn't worth it. If you are questioning it to begin with you already know the answer. You will always be thinking about and will ruin your days. I also live in Canada and had my truck stolen out of the Costco parking in Laval. You never know when it could happen. Enjoy and Good Luck.

Welcome aboard and good luck with the new GT500!! In my mind, there is no speculating. At some point in time that car will have an emblem taken off, a wheel and tire or tires taken off, or worse yet, stolen. Never to be found! By a junker to take to the parking lot, like a crapmaro :-) Keep the GT500 for driving and racing!!

Archived