TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mpss Width....

ThomasL

Over on SVT we have a discussion going about how recently, the width of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire has increased even more. Basically meaning a 295 is more like a 315. It was common knowledge before that MPSS run wide, like a 295=305 in another brand. Can anyone back up this rumor or confirm it? My 295 rears for the stock wheels are being delivered today. Thanks!

I researched it quite a bit, I have 295/35/20 on the back and 275/40/19 on the front. I read several threads that the michelin a narrower than the stock good years. In any case they seemed to be working great. No rubbing issues etc. of course it's only been one day.

Got em installed today. No issues. Good fit. Put up a post about it with a bunch of pics and stuff on SVTperformance. I can post more if anyone wants to see the fit or just drool over the MPSS in general.

Got em installed today. No issues. Good fit. Put up a post about it with a bunch of pics and stuff on SVTperformance. I can post more if anyone wants to see the fit or just drool over the MPSS in general.

I won't drool lmao I got mine on today, we'll I had the rears but got the fronts to match. What a difference they made!

Over on SVT we have a discussion going about how recently, the width of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire has increased even more. Basically meaning a 295 is more like a 315. It was common knowledge before that MPSS run wide, like a 295=305 in another brand. Can anyone back up this rumor or confirm it? ...

I think this can be settled by looking at the current specs. The MPSS 295 (Ferrari) has a section width (11.9") and a tread width (12") that is close to many other brands in a 305, and some in a 315.

I've just about decided to go with the MPSS 295 for the rear, only I want to put them on wider wheels, 10.5" or 11". I think the 9.5 OEM wheels are a pinch for these tires, which results in poorer contact with the road.

I first thought about having the OEM wheels widened, but they add the width all to the inside which increases the offset (1" would take it from the stock 50mm to about a 62mm offset). I'd like to keep the extra width pretty much centered in the wheel well to reduce the chances of any rubbing on either side. That would mean having the stock offset or maybe even dropping it to 47mm.

I think this can be settled by looking at the current specs. The MPSS 295 (Ferrari) has a section width (11.9") and a tread width (12") that is close to many other brands in a 305, and some in a 315.

I've just about decided to go with the MPSS 295 for the rear, only I want to put them on wider wheels, 10.5" or 11". I think the 9.5 OEM wheels are a pinch for these tires, which results in poorer contact with the road.

I first thought about having the OEM wheels widened, but they add the width all to the inside which increases the offset (1" would take it from the stock 50mm to about a 62mm offset). I'd like to keep the extra width pretty much centered in the wheel well to reduce the chances of any rubbing on either side. That would mean having the stock offset or maybe even dropping it to 47mm.

All valid reasons. It really comes down to personal preference i think. Plenty of reasons to go wider and plenty of reasons to stay stock.

All valid reasons. It really comes down to personal preference i think. Plenty of reasons to go wider and plenty of reasons to stay stock.

A big part of my decision is that Michelin does not recommend putting them on a wheel less than 10" wide, and they designed the tire.

I know that many are successfully running them on a 9.5", but if I'm going to spend this kind of money on tires I want the maximum performance from them.

Got the 295/35/20 - 105Y MPSS and they sure are bigger than the specs stated. Section width is a hair under 12 3/8".

I was never able to find an aftermarket rim I liked better than factory. So, I had planned to put them on my factory rims but after measuring across the inside from bead to bead where the rim rides it was 10.5"... I tried to sqeeze the bead together so it measured 9.5" and it really seemed to overflex the sidewall in my opinion. I guess a lot of people are running them on factory rims but it just doesn't look like the thing to do to me and I am back searching for the right 10.5" wheel.

misctirecarbshelbyscj070_zps3a0f49b8.jpg

Got the 295/35/20 - 105Y MPSS and they sure are bigger than the specs stated. Section width is a hair under 12 3/8".

I was never able to find an aftermarket rim I liked better than factory. So, I had planned to put them on my factory rims but after measuring across the inside from bead to bead where the rim rides it was 10.5"... I tried to sqeeze the bead together so it measured 9.5" and it really seemed to overflex the sidewall in my opinion. I guess a lot of people are running them on factory rims but it just doesn't look like the thing to do to me and I am back searching for the right 10.5" wheel.

I've got my eye on the HRE P40S. I know they're a little pricey, but I can have them made to whatever specs I want, which will probably be 20" x 11" with 47-50 offset (rears). Another plus is that they're very strong but also very light, will probably lose more than 10lbs. per wheel even with the bigger tires.

Got the 295/35/20 - 105Y MPSS and they sure are bigger than the specs stated. Section width is a hair under 12 3/8"... I had planned to put them on my factory rims but after measuring across the inside from bead to bead where the rim rides it was 10.5"... I tried to sqeeze the bead together so it measured 9.5" and it really seemed to overflex the sidewall in my opinion. I guess a lot of people are running them on factory rims but it just doesn't look like the thing to do to me...

misctirecarbshelbyscj070_zps3a0f49b8.jpg

Having not found any aftermarket rims I wanted, this is exactly why I decided to stick with OEM size tires. Good luck in your search for 10.5" rims!

Archived