TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Going On Long Trip Say 600 Miles. ( To Lug Motor Or Not To Lug Motor)

Geneo4116

Ford designed the overdrive in 6th for us to use it at highway speeds for fuel economy. So personally I don't think it's a problem to use it (because otherwise, why did they put it there?) Just be sure to downshift before accelerating or tackling any significant hills. Or keeping up with a conga line :shoppingcart_:

So gonna run 70 mph in 5th gear I run 2200 rpm in 6th gear 1400 rpm what say u guys is 6th gear lugging motor to low. ??????? For 600 miles?

I drove from Co. Springs CO to Las Vegas NV and back, *AT* the posted speed limit using 6th gear whenever possible. Which was most of the time I was on the highway.

You're not 'lugging' it at freeway speeds, unless maybe it's a 55mph zone in which case I shift down into 5th gear.

Phill

Just double checked -- the SVT supplemental manual suggests making the 5-6 shift at 43 for optimal gas mileage (not that any of us are likely to ever shift that low!)... So normal freeway speeds certainly shouldn't ever be lugging the engine since I'd seriously doubt Ford would publish something as a recommendation that could cause potential serious warranty issues. :shift:

I drove from Co. Springs CO to Las Vegas NV and back, *AT* the posted speed limit using 6th gear whenever possible. Which was most of the time I was on the highway.

You're not 'lugging' it at freeway speeds, unless maybe it's a 55mph zone in which case I shift down into 5th gear.

Phill

Sorry Phil, but I can't drive 55 :whistling:

Mark

I set the cruise at 78 on the interstate a let her go. She's happy that way and delivers about 21 mpg. You can always ease into the pedal to "dispatch" pesky traffic. 70mph/1400rpm ain't lugging it. I'm looking at about 2000 miles next week--vacation to the beach! Top down baby!

Enjoy!

It's not the RPM but the load the counts. You can go all day at 1200 rpm with minimal load. Going up hills or whatever then you downshift. I've cruised at 70 all day and 6th I got 22 miles per gallon. That's what it's there for.

Just got back from trip, I'll post stats later, but I love driving this car! It's great cruising up a curvy mountain road or zipping along the interstate......cruise at 78, love to watch the boost gauge jump with I go back to "resume" or head up a sharp hill. Fun car.

Archived