TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cervini Side Exhaust - Request Feedback From You Experts

Rodders

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I had a 2013 GT500 with Borla axleback ATACs which were really outstanding in my opinion. No drone, quiet on idle, and boomers when you hit the gas.

Then I sold the GT500 and bought one of of the new Corvettes which truly is an outstanding redesign (based on past experience with Vettes) but I missed the GT500 so much that I sold the Vette and bought another GT500.

So I am back on the forum with you guys!!!!. So here is why I am asking for your help if you have experience with the Cervini side exhaust. My new (used) 2013 GT500 has these side exhausts which is a very very nice product and the sound is awesome. But it is too loud for my neighbors and does have a drone that I can't live with around 1200 to 1500 rpm. I am going to call the guys that market this stuff and get their opinion, but they are salesmen and women and so I also wanted your advice.

It appears they use Magnaflow round mufflers with 4" connections (7 inch outside diameter mufflers). It appears these come from Magnaflow in 4 different lengths from a 14" body length to a 30 inch body length, excluding the 4 inch connections and lengths.

QUESTION: Have any of you, that bought the Cervini side exhaust kit, had to replace the mufflers to a more less robust design (still aggressive sound, but not overly so), and hopefully one with less drone? If so what manufacturer did you use and model number, and would you recommend to me what you have purchased?. Plus any other relavent thoughts that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Rodders .

So, what about the new Vette didn't you like? I heard it was the "cats meow". Not much of a Chevy or Vette fan myself, but it's not often that we get to hear from somebody that has had the new Vette and switched back to a Shelby. Just curious. Welcome back, by the way.

We really did like the improvements on the 2014 overall...just couldn't keep both the Vette and the new (used GT500) plus the others.

Pros for C7 - much improved interior nice full leather with 3LT package, excellent gas mileage (over 30mpg at 80 mph), smooth, seats are comfortable now, electronics, different dashboards for various drive modes, much stiffer chassis now all aluminum handles better, great skid pad results, more nimble and precise handling, decent acceleration, and so on.

I don't have to list the pros for the GT500. So it wan't that I didn't like the C7, we did like it....it was just that I like the Mustangs more. Have had 10 mustangs now over the years....

For what I have read in the past the side exhaust has had issues with drone and loud. Also to that point as far as I know or have read the design of it limits you to what type of muffler and such you can put on it and keep the side exit. Good luck to you and enjoy, sorry not much help.

• 2 weeks later...

Case Closed...prior owner had 4 inch outside dia Pypes M-80s with 3 inch inner tube so little if any acoustic deadening hence why drone so bad. Installed 5" round by 15" Borla X-1s and sounds great...not too loud at idle but makes music when the pedal is exercised even just a tiny bit. I have always loved Borlas but I know there are many many other good muffler products out there.

Small amount of drone is still there due to smaller muffler size but that's the best I am going to do since side exhaust has limitations on how large the mufflers can be since they sit under the console near the drive shaft...thanks. Will do pictures as one gent requested after I retun from a long trip overseas.

• 1 year later...

Case Closed...prior owner had 4 inch outside dia Pypes M-80s with 3 inch inner tube so little if any acoustic deadening hence why drone so bad. Installed 5" round by 15" Borla X-1s and sounds great...not too loud at idle but makes music when the pedal is exercised even just a tiny bit. I have always loved Borlas but I know there are many many other good muffler products out there.

Small amount of drone is still there due to smaller muffler size but that's the best I am going to do since side exhaust has limitations on how large the mufflers can be since they sit under the console near the drive shaft...thanks. Will do pictures as one gent requested after I retun from a long trip overseas.

Any pics? How bad would you say the drone is? After moving north and shifting from my GT500 to a Raptor, we are moving back south so I just picked up a GT500 again...love the cervini kit for looks. How about sound clips?

ljn

Welcome back to warm country. I will have to figure out how to add pictures never done that. Yes the Cervini side dumps do look good IMO and I like hearing the rumble out of the side instead of the back. The mufflers that come with the Cervini's are locally made and not good for an adult like me with noise conscious neighbors...they were crap...no acoustic material just very loud and lots of drone over a wide RPM range. I threw them away and installed 5" OD by 20" cylindrical Borlas parallel to the drive shaft because room is limited. Sound is pretty awesome....a bit of drone around 1800 RPM but in a narrow range but not too bad...so drone not too bad and similar to my Flowmaster American Outlaws on the regular Mustang GT. But when you open these puppies up I doubt there are many GT500s out there that sound like this. Yet while idling in the driveway they are not too bad which is a plus for my noise conscious neighbors.

Sound clips? You are pushing your luck I am struggling with the photos LOL

• 3 years later...

Had this kit on my 2013 gt premium before buying my Shelby. Looks it was awesome, got repeated looks and compliments everywhere I went.

negatives very pricey to prep, paint and install cost me 1700 dollars...

the sound is great, however after a while when the excitement wears off the sound is pulsating inside. Forget conversations and expect headaches from time to time it was that bad.

for my Shelby I bought the same kit minus the side exhaust cut out as the kit itself is sweet. I have a full American racing exhaust on my Shelby with boss 302 cut outs with a switch under the dash. When I want the extra sound just pop the switch otherwise sound is perfect.

Archived