TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Oil Sticker Shock......

gotoatz

Finally time for the first oil change. Holy Crap, never had to buy the 5w50w full synthetic before......Damn expensive....

That said, where are you all buying Motorcraft Oil from? How much is it running per quart?

Best I have seen is 86.83 for a case of 12.....And that's on line at a Mopar Parts house for God Sake........ :doh:

Thanks in advance for the info,

Mike

Finally time for the first oil change. Holy Crap, never had to buy the 5w50w full synthetic before......Damn expensive....

That said, where are you all buying Motorcraft Oil from? How much is it running per quart?

Best I have seen is 86.83 for a case of 12.....And that's on line at a Mopar Parts house for God Sake........ :doh:

Thanks in advance for the info,

Mike

Yeah, you got a good deal. I had been having to order mine (Redline 5W-50) on line and with shipping for 8 quarts plus filter, I figured it was costing me about $100 to change my own oil in my own driveway (LOL). However now I have a buddy who's a manager at a Pep Boys and he orders it and keeps it in stock for his "Shelby" buddies. At least now I save on shipping. ;)

Check out Kmansparts.com. They sell a kit of 9 quarts and filter for $75 or you can get quarts of 5w50 for $7.99

Thanks for this. I checked their site and they have very good prices. Love how they have "kits" put together for easy ordering. I already have a case of filters on the way, but will be using these folks in the future.

Thanks again,

Mike

Got the oil sticker shock from the 2010, which was 2 quarts lighter... So this time around I got the premium maintenance plan from ford on the 2014. Covers oil/filter, brake pads and clutch disks for barely more than cost of the oil, and less than the cost of one clutch change... I think they're gonna be losing money on me :cool: It helps that I finally found a dealership service department that I actually trust touching the car, though. Prior to this I'd been getting the oil from the dealer for about 8.75/qt, case at a time. Now I'll probably switch to getting it from kmansparts for the 2010... thanks for that info! :thumbsup:

Always happy to pass along a good reference. They are located in S.C. and turn orders around very quickly. I've been using them for my Super Duty and Shelby's for several years now and their track record (and pricing) is outstanding.

Blows my mind how people struggle over oil! Manufacturers, in this case Ford, develop a high performance vehicle that is top drawer and people chump change over oil. I had to call SVT after I bought my 2010 for break in questions, we talked over oil, gas etc. and I often quote the guy I talked to. It covers many conversations, several manufacturers; " if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it". Very well said. If you bought a Shelby, Corvette, Camaro or Porsche, same issue. Just my 2 cents.

Blows my mind how people struggle over oil! Manufacturers, in this case Ford, develop a high performance vehicle that is top drawer and people chump change over oil. I had to call SVT after I bought my 2010 for break in questions, we talked over oil, gas etc. and I often quote the guy I talked to. It covers many conversations, several manufacturers; " if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it". Very well said. If you bought a Shelby, Corvette, Camaro or Porsche, same issue. Just my 2 cents.

It's not that I can't or won't pay it -- it's that I don't want to be held hostage by the nearest Ford dealer to me's (which happens to be where I purchased the 2010) inflated service prices. They wanted over $10 per quart on the first oil change. Which was also the last one I had done there.

Same dealer also told me that the car's current transmission issues would need an $1800 clutch disk replacement without ever looking at the car. It's currently at a different dealer being fixed under warranty.

So yeah, the consumables on a car like this are expensive and you shouldn't buy one without being prepared to pay -- but you also shouldn't pay MORE needlessly :spend:

OK, so got the oil and filter change done this morning. Not the easiest change I've ever done.......So I have one comment and one question.....

Comment,

Note to self, you gotta get a pair of low profile automotive ramps before the next change.....

Question,

The panel at the front that states right on it..."Remove for Oil Service" Why? It does not reveal either the filter or the drain plug.......Why remove for oil service.....????? I found the easiest access with a floor jack was actually through the front wheel well.........

Mike

MIke:

Agreed, Race Ramps make the OC much easier and I never found the reason for removing the panel either. It doesn't free up any space or improve the line of sight. Go figure. If you haven't determined it already, get yourself some aluminum foil to drape over the beam that is in the way or oil drips all over it from the filter.

Kevin

OK, so got the oil and filter change done this morning. Not the easiest change I've ever done.......So I have one comment and one question.....

Comment,

Note to self, you gotta get a pair of low profile automotive ramps before the next change.....

Question,

The panel at the front that states right on it..."Remove for Oil Service" Why? It does not reveal either the filter or the drain plug.......Why remove for oil service.....????? I found the easiest access with a floor jack was actually through the front wheel well.........

Mike

Race Ramps will definitely make changing the oil a lot easier. The Shelby uses the same front panel as the 5.0L (I had a 2012 5.0) and the 3.7L Mustangs. On those cars the panel must be removed to get to the filter. Don't need to remove it for the 5.4L engine.

Race Ramps will definitely make changing the oil a lot easier. The Shelby uses the same front panel as the 5.0L (I had a 2012 5.0) and the 3.7L Mustangs. On those cars the panel must be removed to get to the filter. Don't need to remove it for the 5.4L engine.

Well that explains the front panel. Thank you. Neither of our 4.6's have a panel. New learnings all the time....

Thanks folks,

Mike

Archived