TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone Paint Their Supercharger

Shelby73

I just scored a 2.9 Whipple and it's black. Wanted a polished one or white, however I got a crazy deal on a used set-up. So instead of tearing it apart I was thinking of having it painted white. Anyone have their supercharger painted? How is it holding up, got pics? Love to see the results.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok painters never touched the charger so, I picked it up yesterday, and spent all day on it today. After 11hrs, it's done. Primed,colored, and cleared. Turned out great and cost less than $50 bucks to do.. Now need to wait 7 days for paint to fully cure. What you all think so far?post-35652-0-78049100-1399599725_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-17806700-1399599742_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-59906400-1399599753_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-30304500-1399599767_thumb.jpg

I've been tempted lately to take a sanding block to the top of the ribs on my factory 07-09 to expose the aluminum under the black paint. Anyone done something like this to give it a bit of a two-tone look?

I started by wet sanding with 400 grit and then worked my way up to 1500 grit. Also used scoch brite pad and wet sanded with simple green and cleaned with simple green, brake cleaner, and then acid tone. Taped it up real good screw driver and plastic panel removers that are curved helped get into the tight spots in the back. I then tack it down and wipe with acid tone while wearing rubber gloves, not to get oil on it. Used high temp engine ceramic paint primer, several light coats, then medium coats, 10 minute dry intervals between each coat, then color same way, and then clear, once again same way. All the paint was high temp engine ceramic enamel. After 7 days paint will fully cure. Supposedly it holds up really well as long as you prep really well. I wrapped the tooth brush with sand paper to get into the curves of the blower. Of course time will tell how it holds up. However the black powder coat that was on the whipple was very thin, almost like paint, so it can't be much worse.

You should do your valve covers. I admit it takes a while to do but it's well worth it in the end. Also it cost hardly nothing to do, valve covers you could also get powder coated for like $60. There is a great shop near were I live that did my X brace for the laguna seca rear seat delete.

Thanks, I love how it came out as well. This little DYI saved me a ton of money. Whipple offers the charger in white but wants almost an extra $1000 for it. To answer your question, as long as you us high temp engine paint (primer, color, clear ) it will hold up to the blower's heat. The trickiest part is the prep-work prior to laying down paint.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

[The car is completely back together, and I couldn't be any happier with the results. What a difference the Whipple makes! For all that do this project do not use the clear. Clear if old (no way of telling) will turn yellow if that happens you'll have to wet sand and start over. Trust me on this. Ahhh but fun project.post-35652-0-08533300-1402336382_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-03232000-1402336419_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-96393200-1402336420_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-29452500-1402336423_thumb.jpgpost-35652-0-19526500-1402336425_thumb.jpg

Mark

[The car is completely back together, and I couldn't be any happier with the results. What a difference the Whipple makes! For all that do this project do not use the clear. Clear if old (no way of telling) will turn yellow if that happens you'll have to wet sand and start over. Trust me on this. Ahhh but fun project.attachicon.gifsecuredownload (6).jpgattachicon.gifsecuredownload (5).jpgattachicon.gifsecuredownload (4).jpgattachicon.gifsecuredownload (3).jpgattachicon.gifsecuredownload (2).jpg

Mark

Great job. Definitely looks amazing installed.

Archived