TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jet Hot Coating On Headers And Pipes

Latinwrlord

Hell with it. Its only $249, and your right it does get hot. So, if it helps to get the heat out instead of builing up under the engine compartment. That will be well worth the money. Plus my baby girl deserves the best I can afford to give her. Thanks for the input.

Looking to buy the dynatech headers and 3" intermediate pipes with the high flow cats. They want $249 for jet hot coating. Never had it. Is it really worth the extra money?

If your vehicle is supercharged you can NOT use "bright" ceramic coating. SC and turbo applications are too hot for that type of ceramic. You need a high temp ceramic which is rated at 2000F for any SC / Turbo application. Unfortunately, bright ceramic is not an option in that temperature range......

Yea, I talked to the company today and they said it was the silver or bright coating . The next level up only comes in grays, black and blue. My car is blue so it would kinda go but dont like the look of painted headers. To me they look cheap. Plus they said it is a 3-4 week turn around on coated parts. So, will probably just go for the natural finish.

It is definitely worth it. When I got my dynatech headers I had them coated locally. It does keep the engine bay cooler, I can't give you a number but other cars that I've been on the track with have hotter engines after the track time than I do. That adds up after a while to longer engine life and better performance - that's well worth the money to me.

Just received the headers and 3" intermediate pipes with the high flow cats today. I didn't get the jet hoat because they were 3-5 weeks out on the turn around. So, I decided to just wrap them, per alot of advice. So, I opened the box and pulled them out. And bam the runners are so close together at points. This will make it hard to wrap and look good. Anyone know at place near Tampa or Orlando to get them coated. I stopped in at one sbop in Tampa but they seemed shady and very uninformed on a service they offer. Probably not the real deal. Any advice or tips to make the wrap work right and be aesthetically pleasing.

Get them coated. I have my long tubes and X-pipe done (by our staff coater) and it is WELL worth it, if for no other reason than heat. I generally won't do a complete exhaust without it now, on my cars or the ones I build. Little things make the difference.

I happen to be a new member of the chemical coatings world (that is the synthesis and polymer chemistry and theory) so I can actually give you some input on this with credibility. At that price and the quality of which I am sure you are getting, I would definitely say yes. You could technically have it coated yourself but in order to do so you'd have to find somewhere that has that formula (or another preferred formulation) and the means to bake and cure the application. You may be able to save maybe $50, but I suppose its a time for money trade-off. But I would definitely recommend having a high-heat resistant coating.

I had my JBA's done on my Fox and I'd highly recommend coating the inside and never wrapping exhaust pieces. If the insides are not coated or are wrapped - they'll rust from the inside out and exhaust flow will suffer. The opposite is also true - if the inside is coated it helps with exhaust flow (and heat) and they'll actually last longer too.

This seems to be really big with you guys, give us some cold facts. How hot is it in the engine compartment via thermometer compared to a buddies car with similar mods? If this is something that drops the engine compartment like 15-20 degrees ill def do it.

I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to exhausts, but I do know many who are have said NEVER wrap headers. Does it work? yes, absolutely and race teams do it all the time. BUT, it will destroy the headers over a relatively short time. If you're racing and money is no object then no big deal, but most of us want it to last so that's not an option. Look at the warranty sheet for your headers. Most companies now specifically say in the writing that any headers showing evidence of heat wrap are void of any warranty. I've heard good things about the jet hot coating, though as others mentioned you do have to have both the outside and inside coated for it to have the desired effect.

Highly recommend heat treatment of some kind cause all that heat bleeding out into the engine bay will fry alternators and other electronic parts more quickly.

Having a nice clean look when I open my hood was my goal.

Picturedownload5-2-09036.jpg

^^^^^This vs. This...............

100_2431.jpg

and the drivers side.............

Picturedownload5-2-09038.jpg

^^^^^This vs. This...............

100_2435.jpg

Rusty exhaust manifolds?..............not for me.

R

I can say between coated and non coated oem manifolds in a 64 Avanti I seen about a 3 to 4 deg drop in under hood temps. Temps were taken by the air filter in the frontal passenger side. For me it was more the aesthetic look, but then again lot more room in the engine bay of a 64 then new ones :) .

YEA YEA YEA ROBERT, WE KNOW YOUR CARS GORGEOUS, WE NEED TO SEE HOW MUCH HEAT THIS DROPS

I don't know about "Gorgeous" or any other descriptive like that. Was the OP asking about heat reduction? I didn't read that part in his OP. I thought he was just asking about protective coatings. There was also some mention in this thread that the bright coating can't be used on a S/C car? I have had no problem with mine........so far, that is more of the direction I was going.

I don't have heat reduction results.........sorry.

R

I UNDERSTAND ROBERT, IM JUST TRYING TO GUIDE THIS TO ANOTHER IDEA BUBBLE. IF IM HAVING MY ENGINE REBUILD I MIGHT AS WELL SEND THE HEADERS OFF TO BE SPRAYED. GORGOUS MAY HAVE BEEN THE BAD WORD TO CHOOSE, HOW ABOUT SEXY. ILL PUT IT TO YOU LIKE THIS, FOR ALL THE TESTING KENNE BELL DID IF YOU HAVE THE INLET AIR GOING IN UNDER 130-140 I CANT REMEMBER, ITS LIKE CANDY TO THE ENGINE. SO IF THIS DOES WORK AND DROP IN DOUBLE DIGITS IN TEMP WHILE YOU LIVE IN AZ OR CA LIKE ME, THEN ITS VERY WELL WORTH IT.

I UNDERSTAND ROBERT, IM JUST TRYING TO GUIDE THIS TO ANOTHER IDEA BUBBLE. IF IM HAVING MY ENGINE REBUILD I MIGHT AS WELL SEND THE HEADERS OFF TO BE SPRAYED. GORGOUS MAY HAVE BEEN THE BAD WORD TO CHOOSE, HOW ABOUT SEXY. ILL PUT IT TO YOU LIKE THIS, FOR ALL THE TESTING KENNE BELL DID IF YOU HAVE THE INLET AIR GOING IN UNDER 130-140 I CANT REMEMBER, ITS LIKE CANDY TO THE ENGINE. SO IF THIS DOES WORK AND DROP IN DOUBLE DIGITS IN TEMP WHILE YOU LIVE IN AZ OR CA LIKE ME, THEN ITS VERY WELL WORTH IT.

^^^^I agree with that................and wouldn't it be nice to wrap the exhaust without metal fatigue?!?!? I would do that immediately if it would not ruin my headers over time.

I agree that heat (hot air heat) is not helpful at all to our engines. On a hot summer day down here in Florida, I can sit in the drivers seat and watch the heat mirage coming out of the heat extractor vents at the upper/rear of my Super Snake hood. I can also imagine the heat that would be trapped around the S/C and in this area, TB, MAF, etc. and in the engine general compartment if I did not have those extractors at a high/rear area in the hood.

Sexy...........Ok, I like Sexy!!

R

If we're going into protecting the car from heat we might as well talk about putting heat resistant tape on the fuel line hose which is also next to the header. Who has done that? Just another truck to prevent detonation

If we're going into protecting the car from heat we might as well talk about putting heat resistant tape on the fuel line hose which is also next to the header. Who has done that? Just another truck to prevent detonation

^^^^Good idea also!

I have not followed my fuel line in this area to even know where it is?

............but now that you mention it I did replace my fuel filter inside of the drivers side fuel rail so it must be following the frame on this side of the engine compartment.

R

Yes, it's on the driver side like only a couple inches away from your headers. I got the idea from a custom super snake built by shelby off YouTube and thought the idea was "yea whatever" at the time but when you throw that 2.8 supercharger in there you realize this engine is a monster, what can I do to protect it

• 3 weeks later...

I have ceramic coated my entire exhaust system from the long tube headers back. The only parts left bare are the cats and mufflers. I cannot say with total certainty that my under hood temps are down because I did not do a before and after comparison but everything looks great and is easy to clean when I am under the car.

• 3 months later...

Archived