TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question About 2014 Shelby

I have a new 2014 Shelby, and the red light between 6000 and 7000 RPMs comes on when the car is cranked, then shortly after it cuts off. Leaving the red light only between 7000 and 8000 RPMs. Anyone else notice their red light cuts off between the 6000 and 7000 RPM? 69000 car and i think for that kinda money it should be 100% right. Just wanna make sure it's normal for this to happen

Read your GT500 owner's manual supplement.

The red light is part of the feature that allows you to over-rev the engine to 7k rpm for 8s occasionally. Normal redline for the car is 6250 -- the light being on indicates that the overrev is NOT available (there's a built in cool down cycle).

From the 2014 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - Page 23

ENGINE OVER-REV

Note: Engine torque and maximum rpm are limited until coolant temperature reaches 170°F (77°C). Warm up is indicated when the redline indicator band starting point changes from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.

Your vehicle is equipped with an over-rev feature to increase the performance range of your Shelby GT500. When conditions permit, over-rev is indicated on the tachometer with redline marked at 7000 rpm. If conditions limit over-rev accessibility, the band is illuminated red from 6250 RPM to 7000 RPM.

Once the engine is warm, the over-rev feature allows eight seconds above 6250 RPM up to 7000 RPM. If the eight second time limit is exceeded, the maximum engine RPM is reduced to 6250 RPM until both of the following occurs:

• Engine is operated for at least 15 seconds below 6000 RPM

• Engine RPM falls below 5000 RPM.

Do not operate the engine at high RPM and low load for sustained periods of time, as damage may occur.

It's not a short... Read your owners manual. It's a feature protecting the car during warm up to proper engine temps.

Watch your Oil Temp & Water Temp gauge... The light in the Tach goes off as these gauges reach normal.

So happy I bought a new car with zero miles so I know how it's been treated!

It is NOT to "keep the motor from spinning hard before it is up to temp" -- the over-rev feature is meant to be used sparingly, not every time you accelerate which is why it has a built-in cool-down cycle. Unless you want your engine to die young, of course" :rtfm:

And yes, the launch control also waits for engine coolant/oil to be up to temp to protect the engine since it involves some amount of cranking the engine with minimal load -- which should never be done when the engine's cold and the oil isn't lubricating fully yet.

Archived