TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gear Wine After Install

I was just able to get the rear end put back up into the car and took it for a test drive today. It has a whine when I let off the gas until it stops, but it's perfect if I'm on the gas. I can't figure out why the drive side of the gear would be setup correctly if the coast sign isn't. Any suggestions as to what I should do to correct the problem? I can't figure out if I should be shimming the diff more or if I should be adjusting the pinion depth.

Any insight would be great because I really don't want to take the car to a shop - I take a lot of pride being able to do all my own mechanical work.

not trying to be rude or cause any problem, but from my experience, buy another gear set and try again. If it makes any noise at all it was not installed properly and will not get better if you try to fix it. Gears are best done by an experienced installer. I like to do as much as I possibly can as well, but gears will not be one of them. Again, hope you don't take this the wrong way.

After driving it a bit today, it sounds more like it's coming from the diff. I put in the T2R with the new gear set. I get the same whine when I make a sharp turn at high speed and the worm gears have to engage. I've been trying to find others with this same issue but no luck yet. I'm 99% certain it's not the gear. I had a couple local circle track racers check the pattern and they both thought it was acceptable. I don't think that type of whine is normal for the diff, so I'm going to call a couple local race shops later today and see what experiences they have with this issue.

JT93

I have the same issue with the whine durring deceleration, they were done about a year and a half ago by an experienced Ford technician (13 years and he speacialized in trans and gears), after I took it back to him he called the FRPP hotline to talk with one of their tech's about it. The tech said it could be the pinion depth, but if the markings came out fine it could just be bad gears, and said sometimes it happens. The gear compound showed good markings all the way around twice. Once when the initial install was done and a second time when he made some minor adjustments to try and eliminate the prob. Backlash was also set whithin specs, exactly what it was supposed to be.

Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours though, I have no issues in turns, only during deceleration. I just gave up, and deal with it since I'm going to change them to 3:73 when I get the Kenne Bell later this summer. Just can't see keeping 4:10's with the supercharger. I completely understand what you mean about pride in your own mecanical work, I've done every installation on my car myself except for the gears, which I assisted with since I just don't have the experience doing them myself. We may have just been a couple of the unlucky ones that got bad gears, let me know if you ever get to the bottom of it.

Jeff

I've made a few calls myself and it sounds like I might have gotten a bad set. Just to double check (and not let my ego get in the way of having the work done correctly) I have an appointment at a local speed shop april 9th to have them look it over and reset them. Hopefully they'll be able to get a little closer than I could, I was within spec but on the outer edge. This shop is great to work with and has thousands of FRPP gear installs. If they can't get it then it'll definitely be a bad set of gears. Hopefully they'll be able to get them close enough that my exhaust will be able to drown out the slight whine that there could be. It's just the trials that happen when you have a performance car, it'll all get smoothed out and the fun will continue.

I've made a few calls myself and it sounds like I might have gotten a bad set. Just to double check (and not let my ego get in the way of having the work done correctly) I have an appointment at a local speed shop april 9th to have them look it over and reset them. Hopefully they'll be able to get a little closer than I could, I was within spec but on the outer edge. This shop is great to work with and has thousands of FRPP gear installs. If they can't get it then it'll definitely be a bad set of gears. Hopefully they'll be able to get them close enough that my exhaust will be able to drown out the slight whine that there could be. It's just the trials that happen when you have a performance car, it'll all get smoothed out and the fun will continue.

You can hear the gear whine over that exhaust setup?

Amazing!

<grin>

Jer

p.s. My 3.73 gear swap was very similar, but I installed an Eaton, and they have somewhat of a reputation for that type of whine, I've heard. Plus, I did the UCA and mount at the same time, so I expected the "tuning fork effect".

Typically if gears whine on decel the backlash is too loose.(More clearance)

If the whine is on accel the backlash is too tight.(less clearance)

If the pattern is centered on the tooth (crest to root), I would recheck the backlash. Sounds like it needs to be tightened up a little

Be sure the pinion is immobilized and your indicator is at the least angle possible (most square to the tooth) and also that the indicator stand is solidly mounted with no wiggle anywhere be it at the mag base or it joints for the most accurate measurement.

Sounds like you haven't put enough miles on to ruin the gear set.

I'd pop the cover and check it out before driving anymore.

I'd pop the cover and check it out before driving anymore.

I'm not putting another mile on it until the shop takes a look at it. I'm either going to trailer it or have it towed to them.

A lot of guys have been having trouble with noisey gears on these cars. I can't imagine we all recieved bad gears.

I'm sure a good portion of the issues are with poor installs, and some truly are bad gears. I'll know for sure which it is in a couple weeks. I'm sure I didn't set them up perfectly, but I got as close as I possibly could.

Amazing!

<grin>

Jer

p.s. My 3.73 gear swap was very similar, but I installed an Eaton, and they have somewhat of a reputation for that type of whine, I've heard. Plus, I did the UCA and mount at the same time, so I expected the "tuning fork effect".

It when I let off the go pedal, Jer! It could blow up when I was on it and I'd never know until I figured out I was moving anymore! LOL!

Amazing!

<grin>

Jer

I can not her mine over the exaust, as a matter of fact if the radio is on at all I barely here it. Like I said mine isn't all that bad. Once I get the SC I'm going to have the shop that does my tune do a new set of gears at the same time. that way if there are any noise issues they can work it till theyre gone.

I can not her mine over the exaust, as a matter of fact if the radio is on at all I barely here it. Like I said mine isn't all that bad. Once I get the SC I'm going to have the shop that does my tune do a new set of gears at the same time. that way if there are any noise issues they can work it till theyre gone.

I only recently noticed how much my whine has decreased over time. After 200 miles or so, it was no longer jumping out at me.

Jer

i don't want anyone to take this wrong, but "bad gears" is BS. usually its an exuse you get from a poor installer.

gear plants make thousands and thousands of gears for production vehicles everyday and i have never been in a car with a noisey factory gear set

the noise or lack there of is all in the set up

if the noise was on accel or steady cruise i'd say let them break in, the noise will lessen after a few hundred miles, but noise on decel will only get worse as the gears wear in

don't sweat it man, you'll get it right, somteimes it just take a couple tries.

i give you credit for atleast doing it yourself and gettting it to actually function

most folks are terrified of gears like is some dam voodoo black magic or something, its just a simple mechanical system, the trick is to patient with the setup and double check everything

like we say at work, we do it nice cause we do it twice!

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the car off at the shop yesterday afternoon. I should have it back tomorrow night or Saturday morning. I'm curious what the verdict was as to what was wrong - you can't learn unless you know where you failed. Should be able to give it a good test once I get it back and see how everything feels. :shift:

Now to putting in the new shaftmasters DS that I picked up last week and it should be good to go for another summer of tearing up the track! :yahoo:

Picked the car up yesterday evening and took it to a local car show in honor of the 50th. Absolutely perfect now, not even a hint of noise from the rear end. I guess the carrier shims were off a little on each side. I had the diff just slightly left off center and it needed to be set to the left a little more which then meant the pinion depth needed to be adjusted. Decided to do it the right way and had the shop start fresh with a new gear and hardware (bearing, carriers, shims, etc.). I didn't get it right the first time, but I sure learned a lot in the process.

Archived