TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Cai And Tune

jr07shelby

I have 2007 gt500 stock right now. Plan on adding cai and tune for little extra power. I understand that on 2007 need to change harmonic balancer to newer version. I understand that this is a lot lighter balancer than the 2007. My question is what would happen if I left stock balancer in place. Any suggestion's would be greatful.

Nothing.

I ordered my CAI, pulley , idler pulley and tune from VMP.

Did not change the harmonic balancer and have not had any problems.

You might want to talk to Justin or BJ at VMP.

Nothing.

I ordered my CAI, pulley , idler pulley and tune from VMP.

Did not change the harmonic balancer and have not had any problems.

You might want to talk to Justin or BJ at VMP.

Me too. No problems in 6 years.

If you do some spirited driving, it may launch itself into space and take the end of the crankshaft with it. I've replaced two of these (mine and "Quadcam's"), let me assure you that the stock '07 "balancer" is very heavy. It weighs 26lbs while it's replacement recommended by Ford weighs 9. I weighed them myself. It's breakage waiting to happen. I wouldn't want that anchor on the crank of any motor. It's not difficult to change. If your car is a garage queen then it most likely won't cause a problem but if you're a road warrior like some of us then you might want to change it.

Yesterday I had everything apart to do this job as I bought the later balancer a couple of months ago.

Everything that is, apart from the crank balancer bolt that would not budge.

I just posted asking for help on how to get the damn thing undone so watch this space....!

Malc

From VMP Tuning where I got the instructions to do mine:

http://vmptuning.com/pulley-products/m6312svt/

I have a kit put together with the necessary bolts to do the job if someone wants to borrow it, let me know. But it's just a few bolts that you can buy at your local NAPA or hardware store.

Quickly, the process involves just moving the coolant tanks out of the way and removing the fan to gain access to the balancer. Take the accessory drive belt off the tensioner. Pull the old pulley off and put the new one on. The only special "tools" you need are the puller tool and the M10 & M12 bolts.

Yesterday I had everything apart to do this job as I bought the later balancer a couple of months ago.

Everything that is, apart from the crank balancer bolt that would not budge.

I just posted asking for help on how to get the damn thing undone so watch this space....!

Malc

Breaker bar with a longer pipe over it will give you more leverage.

Archived