TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel-Hop Go Bye-Bye!

Just laid a set of 100 foot stripes in my parking lot at work for the first time ever! No wheel hop and a pretty-much straight set of rubber stripes.

I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you do?

J&M Lower Control Arms, Edelbrock Upper Control Arm and Eibach lowering springs. What a freakin difference, I drive with the traction control completely off now.

I do want to fix my wheel hop but have seen too many different ideas and modifications by several people. I'm not sure what to do. Is there a reason you went with so many different part vendors for parts? Do you think one change made a difference or do you think all three had to be completed to rid wheel hop?

J&M Lower Control Arms, Edelbrock Upper Control Arm and Eibach lowering springs. What a freakin difference, I drive with the traction control completely off now.

If you lower, you should also consider an adjustable panhard bar. I lowered my cars back end slightly and after really looking it over could see the axle was slightly shifted over(maybe 1/4"). Not very noticeable, but I added the adjustable bar and centered it. The panhard is a very easy swap as well.

I do want to fix my wheel hop but have seen too many different ideas and modifications by several people. I'm not sure what to do. Is there a reason you went with so many different part vendors for parts? Do you think one change made a difference or do you think all three had to be completed to rid wheel hop?

Honestly, just price really. I have a real problem paying top dollar for bushings. I paid only $470 for all the parts and installed them with a buddy of mine in about an hour and a half. The springs took the majority of the time. Havn'et looked into a panhard bar yet, as far as I could tell the axle isn't completely centered before.

Some are claiming that just changing the Lower Control Arms does the trick. I beleive if you do any mods to the car you will need to replace the Upper and Lower to Completely get rid of the wheel hop.

I am close to 650HP at the flywheel and have Upper and Lower BMR products on the car, and have absolutely no wheel hop at all. Installed myself, was very easy.

I just went to the BMR web site and was looking at their upper and lower control arms. They have quite a few option upgrades available. Is that all you did to yours or did you add anything else? Could you list the part #'s you went with?

• 3 weeks later...
Just laid a set of 100 foot stripes in my parking lot at work for the first time ever! No wheel hop and a pretty-much straight set of rubber stripes.

I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiousity, did the control arms introduce much nice into the car. I guess I'm talking about the dreaded NVH.

Whos making a good panhard rod these days for the GT500?

The problem I have is that there are many rear suspension parts available but most are not designed for the GT500 but just the regular GT and I think some are having NVH or other problems because the parts were not R&D'd for the GT500. I also would rather buy from one competent and trusted vendor than have one part from company X and another from company Y. I have found in the past that this can actually cause your car to ride worse than stock.

Think long and hard about each mod you do to your new car or else I think your going to be in an uphill struggle. So if you can, wait a bit until people like MM, Griggs, and FRPP come out with complete kits to solve wheel hop rather than trying to put a bunch of different parts together like a dam puzzle.

I think I'm pretty much decided on going with the Steeda brand billet type upper and lowers. There's quite a few choices to go with, but quite a few people have recommended for our cars the 555-4105 uppers and the 555-4406 lowers. I will let you know how I make out after doing them. Thanks for everyone here on this forum for their comments.

• 5 months later...

I think I'm pretty much decided on going with the Steeda brand billet type upper and lowers. There's quite a few choices to go with, but quite a few people have recommended for our cars the 555-4105 uppers and the 555-4406 lowers. I will let you know how I make out after doing them. Thanks for everyone here on this forum for their comments.
Took me a long time to find this thread. I've only had my 08 a few weeks, but jumped on it from a stop and the back end shook real bad. Since this post is 5+ months old is there an easy fix?

Some are claiming that just changing the Lower Control Arms does the trick. I beleive if you do any mods to the car you will need to replace the Upper and Lower to Completely get rid of the wheel hop.

I am close to 650HP at the flywheel and have Upper and Lower BMR products on the car, and have absolutely no wheel hop at all. Installed myself, was very easy.

Did you go with the same BMR lowers that Rob did (TCA019) I believe?

Took me a long time to find this thread. I've only had my 08 a few weeks, but jumped on it from a stop and the back end shook real bad. Since this post is 5+ months old is there an easy fix?

I still haven't done mine to date. I'm hoping to do it first thing in the spring. Mine's put away for the winter now. There are 100's of posts on this site that list many types of products for our wheel hop and i've yet to see a better fix available other than Steeda's. Does anyone know what the Shelby shop is doing if anything to the KR or the SS upgrades?

I have the Steeda upper non adjustable c/arm and the billet lowers. I am very happy with them and have no wheel hop. No strange clunks that I have heard "yet". They do seem to transmit a little more noise but nothing I can't live with. I also added the Steeda adjustable panhard rod along with the brace. All top quality products in my opinion.

Reading all the post about wheel hop and lowering the cars with great interest. I keep going back and forth on the Steeda vs BMR products and it appears many like the Steeda stuff. My car wheel hoped originally and then I put the EVO stage II kit on and it wheel hops only with traction control on but not with it off. I thought that was interesting. Have other experienced that?

Reading all the post about wheel hop and lowering the cars with great interest. I keep going back and forth on the Steeda vs BMR products and it appears many like the Steeda stuff. My car wheel hoped originally and then I put the EVO stage II kit on and it wheel hops only with traction control on but not with it off. I thought that was interesting. Have other experienced that?

Could it be because the tires just spin freely now?

I'd like to pass along some advise that was offered to me and I think it has some validity. Our car club was getting a tour of the Griggs shop and offices. IMO their engineering designs for Mustang in particular is among the best in the world. They had test pieces all around the shop, things that worked and things that did not work as hoped. They also have the benefit of installing new parts and drive out their door onto the Sonoma race track.

Anyway, we were advised that suspension geometry was difficult and every component needed to take into account the other components that each have very exacting tolerances. His best advise was to pick a good company and stay with their suspension products rather than try to mix and match products based on prices or sales. He specifically mentioned Saleen, and Steeda as also providing a complete package.

Take it or leave it, the advise is free.

Wouldnt it be easy if Ford just would come out with a Wheel hop gone bye bye kit for both lowered and non lowered GT500s!!!!!!!!

That is what bothers me most, it was bad enough Ford did not get it right from the factory but now they just release a handling kit that improves handling but will not do much for hop, well according to most.

I use to think that, but trying slaming gears, 1-2 in particular and look out!

Or better yet, try and go not WOT. Under WOT, the tires will just spin but if you give any less the car will hop, or bog, or if you are very very lucky, hook up

I have the Steeda upper non adjustable c/arm and the billet lowers. I am very happy with them and have no wheel hop. No strange clunks that I have heard "yet". They do seem to transmit a little more noise but nothing I can't live with. I also added the Steeda adjustable panhard rod along with the brace. All top quality products in my opinion.

Did you need LCA relocation brackets?

Archived